Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Propranolol?

[05...]

[05...]

I went to a neurologist for an examination of the physical symptoms of PAWS. He said that i had benign fasciculation syndrome and chronic migraine. These are the physical symptoms of my PAWS. Although I can't cure the PAWS, I can treat the symptoms. He said that I could go on amitryptaline, propranolol or topirimate. I'm already on venlafaxine so I'm going to avoid the amitryptaline and I don't want to use topirimate so that leaves the Propranolol.

Has anyone here been prescribed Propranolol during their PAWS recovery? If so, what has been your experience? I know Dr. Ashton has talked about beta blockers in the manual but I am looking for people's personal experiences

• 4 weeks later...
Hello, yes, lots of people get Propranolol, I got it too. It helps with the physical symptoms of anxiety and tachycardia. However I have hair loss and I think Propranolol has a hand in it, but not everyone has it. Plus Propranolol can cause depression as well in a long term. But yes, it helps.

Of the medications your doctor recommended I think propranolol is the least worrisome, but it will still require a taper if taken regularly long term.

I have a prescription for propranolol 20mg to be taken as needed 2xday.  I took it a fair amount earlier in my withdrawal for the physical symptoms of anxiety - it was really helpful for the cortisol/adrenaline surges and palpitations I was experiencing.  I'm very glad I had it.  But as kitsune points out if you take it regularly you're likely to be faced with another taper.  I was determined to avoid that so I was judicious about taking it only when I needed it and not prophylactically.

Hope this helps,

Brighterday