Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Plan of Attack - Need liquid titration advice

[Ni...]

Hello fellow benzobuddies, I posted this in my introduction but was advised to ask my questions here, so here is my story...

I've been on Clonazepam for about a year and want to get off it. I started off with 0.5mg/daily (I cut the pill in half and was taking 0.25mg twice a day). After a couple months I thought it might be too much so I cut the dosage in half to 0.25mg/daily (I cut the pill in quarters and was taking 0.125mg twice a day). I was fine and I've been on that every since.

I know I have developed a dependence because I tried gradually cutting up my pills as much as I could but one day ended up profusely sweating so i went back to my normal amount. I was fine an hour later.

I've done a lot of research and want to try the liquid titration method but need some help filling out the Benzo Calculator. And I want to know if my goal is realistic.

My plan of attack so far, I am going to start Mar 1st. According to the spreadsheet offered by

on YouTube (There are 3 videos to go along with it) it looks like it will take until mid to late June to finish. So about 4 months. Is that realistic? According to the benzo calculator it should take me until mid October. So about 8 months (or have I filed out the calculator wrong?)

120ml whole milk

0.5mg clonazepam tablets

0.5ml increments daily according to CrazyCanuck method (The benzo calculator uses % for reductions and recommends 1%)

So the benzo calculator is twice as long as CrazyCanuck. Which one would be wiser to follow? Is 4 months too short, is 8 months too long?

Thanks

The beauty of liquid tapers is that you can adjust your speed to fit you. As a general rule, I would recommend you start low and go slow. If you tolerate the smaller cuts well, you can always gradually increase your taper rate. As an example, I have a friend who was on .5 mg K for about as long as you before he started tapering and he's down to about .1 mg now after tapering for approximately a year. So I would suspect that your taper from .25 mg will be doable in a much shorter time frame, but no one can say for certain. Just pay attention to your body and you will be well on your way to being benzo free.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye open for any possible withdrawals during the process, if i need to hold at a certain titration level for a few days or a week so my body and mind can adjust I will before moving forward.

If your friend started at 0.5mg and is down to 0.1mg of clonazepam after a year and doing well, then that is about 0.1mg reduction every 3 months. So he'll be another 3 months or so. According to that timeline it should take me about 7.5 months to taper off.

The great thing about the CrazyCanuck method is that the spreadsheet he links to under his YouTube video allows you to enter all your details at the top of the spreadsheet and then all the calculations are done automatically.

In my initial post I mentioned that CrazyCanuck recommended a daily titration reduction of 0.5ml a day for a four month tapering period.  I'm going to do as you advise and go slow. I changed that to 0.3ml reduction a day and it ended up telling me it would take about 7.5 months which is on par with the success your friend is having. I think I will go with that.

Thanks!!!  :)