Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Need to Taper 5mg of Librax (librium) with Water Only?

[Sp...]

I have been holding on one capsule of librax which has 5mg of librium for three months.  All my previous withdraw symptoms have improved, however I still have some dizziness with the "boater feeling"  As you can see I was originally on two capsules of librax before doing a fairly rapid taper over 26 days.  I was put back on one capsule to stabilize.

I was hoping to open the capsule, place in 200ml of water, shake up, remove one ml the first day, two ml the second day, three ml the third day and so forth until at day 200 I would be benzo free.

I have seen on youtube a couple of people that withdrew using water only.  I don't think that I need to dissolve this small amount of librium using vodka or something similar.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the librium in suspension in the water if you shake it and then drink right away?

Please Help!!

[be...]

Librium is one of the few benzos that is soluble in water, so you should be fine.

fwiw - I've seen a fair number of people claim that they felt like their dose dropped a bit when they switched from solid to liquid formulations.  I think there's a slight drop in the bioavailability (personally, I think it's related to less sub-lingual absorption for the liquid).  From what I've read the difference doesn't seem large, but you may feel as though you made a 5 or 10 percent cut.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for getting back to me badsocref.  Yes, I heard of that feeling of a dose reduction while switching from pill to liquid.  I'm planning on being on the 5mg liquid form for a couple weeks to get use to it and then proceed with reducing slowly using a syringe. 

I just today experimented by opening up a librax capsule and pouring it in 200ml of water.  The powder looked good and was suspended though out the water.

[be...]
Of note...  If you want to make solutions in advance, you should store them in the fridge.  Librium will slowly degrade at room temperature if in solution.  Solutions are much more stable in the fridge.  Thanks to Libertas for pointing this out to me.

FYI, I've also known another to have their librium compounded to be a 1mg/1ML suspension and it's worked well for this person.  I know a couple of people who do a dry microtaper and open the capsules and reduce a tiny amount per day.