Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Turning kids into mind-numbed robots

[...]

I find it very disturbing in the way in which doctors and big pharma are robbing a generation of school kids of their individuality and creativity by telling them that they have attention deficit disorder and must take a little pill, called ritalin. . . .Teachers complain that kids are restless and daydream too much. . . .They are kids, they are supposed to be restless and to daydream!!! . . .  They are kids, they are supposed to be curious and too ask too many questions!!!..........What kind of a world would it be if DaVinci, Mozart, Dr.Salk, Lincoln,Madam Currie, Churchill, and others, too many to mention, were given a little pill and were not allowed to daydream?...........Doctors, teachers and big pharma, please let our kids be kids! They  represent your future too!!   

I agree.

I have a happy healthy four year old who loves to be imaginary, daydereams, is sensitive and creative. Because of my mental problems (which started with the first sleeping pill...don't get me started on that, right?)....I always parent focusing on good sleep habits anf facing anxieties, deep breathing...and one of my friends kids is EXACTLY the same way. We crack ourselves up over how our kids have the same issues, personality traits, tendancies....

The Difference is her kid is in the first grade. So his teachers told my friend "your son has something wrong with him." From the sound of it, he's going from the frustrated fidgety kid into the class skapegoat, and everyone is telling on him for everything, even the silly little things.

He tested negative for ADHD, so someone told her it was Oppositional Defiant Disorder. And he has to be on "something"...

So help me I'll homeschool my kid if he's ever in that situation...

Poppy,

I posted on another thread in this section that I was amazed, during my time teaching and doing observations at an elementary school, that so many children were on prescription drugs. It mad me very sad to think what problems these kids may have in the future. Even if they don't have problems, it seems wrong to teach them that a pill cures everything.

TC

Oppositional Defiant Disorder?!!! I would have told the teacher she suffered from FBSD - Full of Bull S*** Disorder.

Oppositional Defiant Disorder?!!! I would have told the teacher she suffered from FBSD - Full of Bull S*** Disorder.

High fives Benzene. They certainly like labels don't they? :)

TC