How to begin a taper off of 1MG Alprazolam

[Zu...]

Hey all.

I am new here, and looking for information about tapering off Alprazolam. I feel that I should mention I started this years ago with a script, then lost my insurance and was taking the same daily without a prescription. This makes me very anxious to bring up with my doctor to even begin thinking of a medically assisted taper.

My first question is how will my doctor respond to this? They are a new doctor of mine who is currently prescribing me 0.5mg 3 times daily as needed, though I know most doctors aren't likely to keep me on alprazolam. So is it even a good idea to mention to them? I've never abused alprazolam, but I know that's how I'm likely to be viewed in their eyes. So from personal experience, has anyone been through this before? If they try to move me to a longer acting benzo, what can I expect during the transition of medication after being on alprazolam for so long?

The next question is. If my only option is to taper myself, how would one go about it? I know there are different methods of tapering but I can only assume a dry taper may be my only course of action at this time. I understand that it is recommended to do 5%-10% taper every few weeks from my current dosage, but that's about all I know. What scares me the most are the serious side effects, and I would like to know if those side effects are still possible even though small tapering.

I am currently at work but these are the questions that are making extremely nervous. Any information regarding these questions is greatly appreciated.

Edit*

I feel I should also mention that I struggle with bad anxiety. I would be okay switching to an equivalent of a different benzo as long as it helps. Again the transition period is what is making me concerned as I do not want to take ANY antidepressants for anxiety.

Cheers.

You won’t know how the new doctor will react until you see him or her.  Personally, I’m of the ‘be totally honest with the doc’ mindset. 

However, and this is a bit of a turn from the full disclosure route that I’d prefer... a number of doctors will want to take your taper into their own hands and immediately begin reducing your prescription.  You really don’t want this to happen as many doctors will taper someone faster than is tolerable.  It’s best to have this in your control, IMO.

So in your situation I would begin tapering on my own, which is what I did.  I went from 2mg Xanax daily (.5 four times a day) to .25mg before I said anything to my doctor. Then I told her because I wanted to know how to taper the rest since that was the smallest pill available. She suggested I stay on that amount for ‘maintenance’ because I was ‘an anxious sort of person’. My anxiety was because I was tolerant to Xanax and it went away after I was off, by the way. 

To begin tapering from .5mg three times a day. I’d suggest cutting .125mg (1/4 of a pill) from the dose you need the least. Don’t look yet to the next cut, just take this first step, that’s what I’d do. And hold for at least a week, maybe two if you feel symptomatic. You’ll probably have some anxiety and insomnia and that’s to be expected. I’d avoid caffeine, alcohol and stress.

As to fear of withdrawal... I took Xanax for 8 years or so, every day. I tapered myself down to .25 without any information, just based on my symptoms and ability to function. I had only minor symptoms as I described, anxiety and insomnia, but tolerable.

At .25mg, not knowing any better, I tried to stop cold turkey and that’s when it went bad.  That was too high of a dose for me to stop.

You’re starting with information, so you should avoid getting into that situation where it goes bad.  :thumbsup:

Sorry I need to clarify a bit, my apologies if i didnt mention this. I am only taking 1MG of alprazolam regardless of the 3 times daily. I have never felt the need to take anymore than this. I also only take it in the morning, not periodically through out the day. Most of my stress comes from work unfortunately. Would .125 still seem appropriate at this dosage?

Oh, oaky.  It’s a bit more than 10% but you could give it a go and if you feel it’s too much it’s pretty easy to correct it the next day by making a little smaller cut. Xanax works in just a few minutes so corrections are relatively easy compared to long-acting benzodiazepines.

If taking it once a day works for you without feeling withdrawal late in the day, I’d stick to that. You may get suggestions that you start breaking it up during the day (taking it multiple times daily) but in my experience here I’ve known people to do just fine continuing to take it once a day if that’s how they’ve always taken it.

Thank you so much for the valuable information. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to put my mind at ease until I mention this to my doctor. What I plan to do is continue with the 1MG until I am close to out. At this point I just plan to tell him that I've already developed a dependency to xanax and that I would just prefer to slowly taper off and be done with them forever. I think at least this way I can put my mind at ease about all this which is going to help me with the rebound anxiety. I don't like being disingenuous but I feel at least this way I won't be viewed as a drug addict and they will hopefully let me taper at my own pace. Just talking about doing this is actually putting my mind at ease. I know I risk the chance of an rapid taper, but I feel that with enough convincing they will more than likely agree to help at my own pace with a little education and pleading. Still have a job to hold and I cannot let anxiety triggers rot my mind during this.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I just don't feel comfortable starting a taper without a doctor being aware that I am doing so. These were working for me until I learned about all the bad stuff that comes with it. Ever since then I just can't get my mind in the good place because now I hate myself for ever getting on these. Never viewed myself as someone who would be dependent on a drug beyond caffiene and smoking. The things we learn to late unfortunately. I am sure I will be back while going through the taper. At this point I just want to be off of them forver.