Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Builder, I have a question

[Ma...]

By the way, I miss you on here and the way it's set up  :(. I have a friend that is titrating with water, the same , oh I can't use milk or alcohol post going on.  How do I explain to her why her water isn't making a proper titration, thanks Mary 💜

By the way, I miss you on here and the way it's set up  :(. I have a friend that is titrating with water, the same , oh I can't use milk or alcohol post going on.  How do I explain to her why her water isn't making a proper titration, thanks Mary 💜

A simple google search with the terms solubility, or water solubility, and her specific benzo should display multiple pages with language like insoluble in water, poorly soluble in water, etc.

And if milk and alcohol are not options, then propylene glycol works just as well.

Same ratios:  1mg benzo:2ml PG, 8ml water.

Mary, does this help?

Liquefying Benzos

There are 2 kinds of liquefied benzos used for titration. Either can be homemade or can be purchased (made by a drug company or a pharmacy).

A liquefied benzo can be either a suspension or a solution.

Suspensions use a thick liquid to hold the tiny benzo particles evenly distributed in the liquid. If you see medication that says "shake well" it is probably a suspension. Given enough time, the particles will settle out of a suspension so it will need to be shaken back up again to redistribute them. A suspension done correctly will distribute the particles evenly enough for accurate tapering.

Solutions have the medication dissolved in a solvent (such as alcohol or PG) then diluted with water to the desired strength. These kinds of medications do not say "shake well" because the particles are dissolved. Dissolved mean the solute, in this case the benzo particles, are evenly distributed and will not settle out under normal conditions. (I confess, I used to shake anyway, "just to be safe," and really just to make myself feel better! ;))

...A pharmacy can make a medication into a suspension using a special, thick liquid to suspend the tiny particles so they don't settle. Not all insurance will pay for this. Some people buy a suspending agent (such as OraPlus) and make their own suspension...

There is old information on the web, particularly youtube, showing people trying to suspend benzos in water. Water is a very, very poor liquid to use for suspending benzos. The particles fall back out again in seconds. The videos may even say you are dissolving the benzo in water. You are not. Most benzos do not dissolve in water...

Gard :)

Also, has she considered propylene glycol to dissolve? Food grade PG is sold on amazon. Also, she can get OraPlus on amazon (to make a suspension).

Mary, does this help?

Liquefying Benzos

There are 2 kinds of liquefied benzos used for titration. Either can be homemade or can be purchased (made by a drug company or a pharmacy).

A liquefied benzo can be either a suspension or a solution.

Suspensions use a thick liquid to hold the tiny benzo particles evenly distributed in the liquid. If you see medication that says "shake well" it is probably a suspension. Given enough time, the particles will settle out of a suspension so it will need to be shaken back up again to redistribute them. A suspension done correctly will distribute the particles evenly enough for accurate tapering.

Solutions have the medication dissolved in a solvent (such as alcohol or PG) then diluted with water to the desired strength. These kinds of medications do not say "shake well" because the particles are dissolved. Dissolved mean the solute, in this case the benzo particles, are evenly distributed and will not settle out under normal conditions. (I confess, I used to shake anyway, "just to be safe," and really just to make myself feel better! ;))

...A pharmacy can make a medication into a suspension using a special, thick liquid to suspend the tiny particles so they don't settle. Not all insurance will pay for this. Some people buy a suspending agent (such as OraPlus) and make their own suspension...

There is old information on the web, particularly youtube, showing people trying to suspend benzos in water. Water is a very, very poor liquid to use for suspending benzos. The particles fall back out again in seconds. The videos may even say you are dissolving the benzo in water. You are not. Most benzos do not dissolve in water...

Gard :)

Also, has she considered propylene glycol to dissolve? Food grade PG is sold on amazon. Also, she can get OraPlus on amazon (to make a suspension).

Thanks Gard, that's great.  I will copy whole thing and send it to her.  I have been through this with her before I think, but she still used water and has a terrible crash, so I was going to try again.  You're the best  :smitten: :smitten:

No prob. That was an excerpt from a longer post on my blog. If you click on the bolded quotation line (referencing July 13, 20018) it should take you to the full post.

Did you see builder put the benzo to PG to water ratio in his post? If she wants to try PG, that seems to be the ratio that works. Disclaimer: I am no chemist!