Important Survey - Please Participate ×

A Little Victory for Us

[...]

Like so many of us, I have been struggling with a lot of anger toward my doctor who prescribed me these meds and told me repeatedly that they were not addictive.  I have gone through the stage of considering a lawsuit but I am not interested in money, only that she change her practices.  So I decided to give her a chance to change and have been sharing a lot about what I am going through with her.  

Because of what has happened to me and also I suspect because she wants to avoid legal troubles from me and others, she has decided to completely change her use of these drugs.  Among other things, we have agreed that a) she will never again prescribe benzos or z-drugs for more than 2 weeks for daily use, b) she will read the Ashton Manual and keep a copy in her office at all times, and c) she will list herself as a "Benzo Wise" doctor and start assisting people with slow tapers as described by Dr. Ashton.  

I feel like this is a moral victory for myself, for those who will be spared this torment for never having taken these drugs, and for those who will now have a doctor who can assist them in getting off benzos the correct way.  I am much more satisfied with this outcome that I could have ever been from a lawsuit and I feel like I can finally forgive her and move on.  I am not going to mention her name in a public forum but if anyone is in the Austin, Texas area and needs to doctor who can assist them with a taper, PM me and I will point you in her direction.  

A victory for you Ryan and for the benzo community as well.  You found a way to let go of your anger and to pay it forward at the same time.  :thumbsup:

My neurologist did volunteer - in front of a medical student - that he only made things worse for me by prescribing Rivotril (clonazepam). Doctors rely upon accurate information being supplied to them too; they cannot know everything. The best we can hope for from our doctor is an open mind and a willingness to continue to learn after they have qualified.