Gabapentin???

[ja...]

My doctor is recommending Gabapentin to help me get off xanax.     

Do you experts have thoughts on this?

Will this just create another addiction?

Thank you very much

Gabapentin mimics the effect of GABA in the body. There's the very real risk that your body will reduce it's own GABA if you take gabapentin long term. I'm not sure how long that would be. I suspect it varies from person to person. And, yes, it is a drug that needs to be tapered, too.

Gabapentin Withdrawal Support Group

I see from your opening post that you are having a hard time getting off of Xanax. I totally understand. Doctors frequently suggest gabapentin when this happens. Mine did. I habituated to it and am now needing to taper it.

I think doctors believe that if they add the gabapenitn you will be able to get off the Xanax quickly and then get off the gabapentin quickly. This is rarely happens. A better plan would be to stabilize on your current benzo and then start a much, much slower taper. If necessary, you could cross over to Valium, a benzo with gentler withdrawal symptoms.

Please go to Planning Your Taper to read and ask questions about how to taper safely.

It would help if you would add a signature to your profile. It will help members give advice relevant to your situation. Here's how you do that.

Go to the top of the page and point to profile. Then choose forum profile. Then insert your drug history into the text box on the right side of that page. Remember to click change profile when you’ve finished.

If you look at the bottom of this post, you will see my signature as an example. Drug name, date, amount, significant symptoms. That's the sort of thing to put in your signature. You'll get much better advice if members can see that after each of your posts.