Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Help with maths for planning liquid diazepam taper please!

[Me...]

Would any kind soul be able to please give me a hand with the maths for a daily liquid micro taper?

I need to plan a daily LIQUID micro taper from 4mg diazepam. The solution is ready made and is 2mg/5mls solution. I am utterly useless at maths! I'm finding the calculator tricky as I already have the ready made solution.

Thank you, I appreciate it so much  :smitten:

Would any kind soul be able to please give me a hand with the maths for a daily liquid micro taper?

I need to plan a daily LIQUID micro taper from 4mg diazepam. The solution is ready made and is 2mg/5mls solution. I am utterly useless at maths! I'm finding the calculator tricky as I already have the ready made solution.

Thank you, I appreciate it so much  :smitten:

If you dilute your Rx liquid 3:1 (15mls water to each 5mls liquid diazepam), you  then have a ratio or 2mg=20mls, or .1mg=1ml.  Then there really isn't any math involved; just move the decimal.  For example, your 4mg dose would be 40mls.

Thank you Builder,

I can’t seem to tolerate the liquid again which is really annoying. So I’m going to need some help with a microtaper from pills.

Using a prescription liquid to taper offers several advantages over other approaches, so I’m sorry to learn you are having issues.  Can you tell us more about what you mean when you say you “can’t tolerate” the liquid? What symptoms are you experiencing? When?

It sounds like you may be using one of two prescription liquids available in the U.K.  I’ve included the names of them below as well as links to their respective information pamphlets. Do you have known allergies to any of the excipients (ingredients) used in your current Rx liquid?  If so, would your physician be willing to prescribe the other Rx liquid?

How many days did you try the liquid? 

When you switched to all liquid, did you keep your dose constant at 4mg?  Or did you also make a reduction?

Do you have any 2mg diazepam regular tablets?  Using a combination of regular tablets and liquid has worked for some Buddies.

Sending all good thoughts and best wishes your way for a successful taper ... L

Diazepam 2mg/5ml Oral Solution Sugar Free (manufactured by Accord UK)

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5783/smpc

Diazepam 2 mg/5 ml Oral Suspension (manufactured by Sandoz)

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/7212/smpc

Libertas,

Thank you so much for your reply.

My body seems to react weirdly to the liquid: I’m unable to sleep, feel like I have electricity running through my body and the Hypnic jerks get really bad. I only tried it for a couple of nights: the first was 4mg and then the second night I did 2mg pills and 2mg liquid and it was still no better. When I switched back to pills things seemed to even out again.

I actually used the actavis brand which is the same brand as the pills I’ve been taking. So I can only think it must be either down to bioavailability or my body doesn’t like something in the ingredients?

It’s very annoying as my doctor and I were both hoping I could switch to that to taper as it is easily available for me to get. I’m possibly willing to try again, butbit does fill me with quite a lot of anxiety if I’m honest.

So I may need to just microtaper from pills whichbisnt ideal but I have no other choice!

:smitten:

Libertas,

Thank you so much for your reply.

My body seems to react weirdly to the liquid: I’m unable to sleep, feel like I have electricity running through my body and the Hypnic jerks get really bad. I only tried it for a couple of nights: the first was 4mg and then the second night I did 2mg pills and 2mg liquid and it was still no better. When I switched back to pills things seemed to even out again.

I actually used the actavis brand which is the same brand as the pills I’ve been taking. So I can only think it must be either down to bioavailability or my body doesn’t like something in the ingredients?

It’s very annoying as my doctor and I were both hoping I could switch to that to taper as it is easily available for me to get. I’m possibly willing to try again, butbit does fill me with quite a lot of anxiety if I’m honest.

So I may need to just microtaper from pills whichbisnt ideal but I have no other choice!

:smitten:

Hi  Mermaid2  I'm in UK  I've just been prescribed the liquid and pills for the same reason as you,( but my liquid is 5mg/5ml)  hoping that I can cut smaller amounts and micro taper  than I can with the pills as I'm really suffering I won't have the liquid until next week but am praying I don't get no crap with the ingredients as I'm super sensitive to bloody everything!!!! I am wondering if maybe 2mg a time is too much for you to try to switch over possibly?

I am only going to try 1mg or even .5mg ( half of 1mg) of the liquid each time  and keep the rest in pills so  if it goes OK it still gives me leeway to do a micro taper rather than have to keep cutting .5 a time  from a pill which is hell for me.  I also take Actavis pills but have no idea what's in the solution and can't find any info on it either, would you mind posting the ingredients off your leaflet you have with your solution if your able too please?

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I am only going to try 1mg or even .5mg ( half of 1mg) of the liquid each time  and keep the rest in pills so  if it goes OK it still gives me leeway to do a micro taper rather than have to keep cutting .5 a time  from a pill which is hell for me. 

You can use the liquid DIAZEPAM/Valium in combination with the pills and take some of your total dose with the liquid valium and use that to taper by a smaller amount with than you could with the pills.  As you gradually taper you will want to move over to more liquid.  This is what I am doing.