Is the Anti-Medication Stance Really Good for People in Withdrawal?

[bo...]

If someone tells you not to take a medication, please report that post. The team is too short handed to monitor every one of them.

It happens many times, each day, all across the board!

Please do so.  Even though we are temporarily short-handed, we will address reports as soon as we see them.  Any extra time I have is spent replying to requests for support, not looking for infractions of the guidelines.

We all have a responsibility to address or report questionable advice.

Thank you!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [lo...]

• [no...]

• [be...]

• [Ch...]

People are absolutely entitled to have their own opinion on psych meds. And to express it. But not in the form of advice to others. It is taking responsibility for someone's life. Let's leave it to pdocs. And to the individuals who need to take the decision. It is their life.

I was a firm believer in everything dr Peter Breggin said/wrote back in 2014. I suffer the consequences to this day. I still think some of his views could be right. But every extreme is dangerous.

Estee, what do you mean by you suffer the consequences of what Peter Braggin said to this day? Are you doing any better at 18 months off?

People are absolutely entitled to have their own opinion on psych meds. And to express it. But not in the form of advice to others. It is taking responsibility for someone's life. Let's leave it to pdocs. And to the individuals who need to take the decision. It is their life.

I was a firm believer in everything dr Peter Breggin said/wrote back in 2014. I suffer the consequences to this day. I still think some of his views could be right. But every extreme is dangerous.

Advice is given here to people re benzo withdrawal ... that is also very risky.  There are groups for antidepressants where advice is given just as advice is given here by patients who do not have a medical degree.  There is overlap between these groups because people are on more than one medication.  I think it is reasonable to consider whether it is wise or not to take other drugs during withdrawal because the CNS is already in a sensitised state, also is it wise to taper off another drug when the CNS is already sensitised.  It is all very difficult and we try our best to figure out what to do.

Exactly. There are too many “doctors “ on this forum, :thumbsup:

I am very confused by this discussion.  We cannot get advice from our doctors because they do not have sufficient knowledge or understanding of the drugs they prescribe.  Where do we go? I have learned more online from these groups than I did on 40 years of consulting with many doctors.  The reason we campaign is because doctors are so poorly informed and do not give patients appropriate or sufficient information.

I think these might help:

Guidelines Regarding the Giving of Medical Advice:

Guidelines Regarding the Giving of Medical Advice

BenzoBuddies is a mutual support community of non-medical professionals, helping those that wish to end their dependency upon benzodiazepines.

Although members are encouraged to relate their personal experiences, post options, and express opinions, it is inappropriate to urge other members into particular actions or inactions regarding their medical treatment. Although we are here to help those that wish to quit benzodiazepines, the decision to quit (or not quit) is for the individual to take in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner.

By extension of the above principles, it would be inappropriate for members to attempt to 'diagnose' ailments of (or 'prescribe' treatments for) other members. Whilst it is permitted for members to discuss their wider medical problems and needs, especially as they relate to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, it is important to understand the limitations of the BenzoBuddies community. Our focus is upon benzodiazepine withdrawal support; decisions regarding medical treatment are for individual members to take in consultation with a doctor.

Although our focus is indeed support, members are bound to have questions, will wish to discuss practical issues and problems, and share information. There is no limit upon reasonable discussion, but you should consider how your writing style might affect those reading your words. Since individuals are highly variable in how they react to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, and some people taking benzodiazepines are more suggestible than they might be under different circumstances, you should avoid making blanket statements.

Contrast:

e.g.1 I've been a member here for some time now, and I have seen several members experience very pronounced withdrawal effects when they attempted a similar withdrawal regimen to the one suggested by your doctor. Have you discussed the possibility of tapering off more slowly?

e.g.2 Have you considered seeking the opinion of another doctor?

with:

e.g.3 Your doctor is wrong; you should taper no faster than 10% of your dose every 7 days.

e.g.4 Dump your doc - he's wrong.

Clearly, the first two examples understand the limits of what we can know, and respect the individual to determine their own health choices. The second two attempt to instruct others to follow particular actions, and would be unacceptable.

It might be appropriate, in some situations, to write in a more instructional style. Clearly, if a member is about to harm themselves (or someone else), or suggests something that would be universally considered as medically unsafe, a straight, instructional, unequivocal response is probably appropriate. Additionally, when writing about something formulaic, such as, for example, how to calculate a dose, or some other technical matter, then, of course, an instructional style is appropriate.

The purpose of these guidelines is to help members avoid unduly influencing others in decisions they should be taking for themselves in consultation with a doctor. Since our members have joined BenzoBuddies with the intention of quitting benzodiazepines, or would like more information to help them make an informed decision about future use, there really is no need to urge fellow members to end their use of benzodiazepines.

Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist and Anti-medicine Comments:

Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist and Anti-medicine Comments:

Many of our members report negative experiences with doctors, psychiatrists, the pharmaceutical industry, health regulators, or the medical profession as a whole. While we do not wish to outlaw comments about how members feel let down and mistreated in their personal medical care, you must keep your feelings and comments in perspective.

Some of our members are vulnerable and might be rather suggestible when they arrive at this website and forum. Your comments might have undue and unintended results upon some of those reading them. Your own experiences with the medical profession are precisely this – your own experiences. It is the view of BenzoBuddies that it would be irresponsible for members to not seek or ignore medical advice from their doctors, psychiatrists and other healthcare providers. Of course, doctors do make mistakes, and there is much confusion and misinformation about the potential side and withdrawal effects of benzodiazepines. But if you are dissatisfied with the advice or service provided by your doctor, you should probably seek the opinion of another doctor. Medical advice from your doctor should not be replaced by the suggestions of anonymous people on the Internet – this is plain common sense. You should discuss with your doctor any ideas and suggestions made by members of this forum and website.

Few of our members are medical professionals, but even their advice should be treated with due caution. Firstly, we do not screen our members, so there is no way of verifying their medical credentials. Secondly, they cannot know your full and true medical history, so cannot make sound 'diagnoses'. Thirdly, if you are skeptical of the medical profession and/or dissatisfied with the performance of your doctor or psychiatrist, how can medical advice from someone on the Internet be more trusted than the advice from a real-world and verifiable doctor? Your doctor is your medical caregiver, not BenzoBuddies, nor any other support website.

By suggesting that others should not trust doctors, psychiatrists and the medical profession as a whole, you potentially endanger other members and visitors to this forum. BenzoBuddies is not an anti-doctor or anti-psychiatry website. Our members need their doctors, not only to supply them with prescriptions for benzodiazepines, but to meet their other medical needs too. In short, you are free to describe the shortcomings in your own medical treatment, but make clear that you are writing about your personal experiences; do not spread general anti-doctor or anti-psychiatrist propaganda.

Occasionally, members link to Scientology anti-psychiatry propaganda (usually because they have been duped). The posting of anti-psychiatry propaganda at BenzoBuddies is not allowed. Because of the obfuscation tactics employed by Scientology, all content posted to BenzoBuddies we identify as Scientology-propaganda, or any so-called 'information' originating from Scientology, will be deleted. We ask members to help us by wearing their 'critical thinking hats' when they come across anti-psychiatry comments at BenzoBuddies (please report such instances), and if in any doubt, please contact a member of the team in advance of posting information, a link or video. Because many of our members rely upon the professional help of psychiatrists and therapists, information regarding psychiatry or psychiatric practice originating from Scientology or the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (or any other Scientology front group) is expressly disallowed at this forum.

From the BB website home page:

Mission Statement

BenzoBuddies: an inclusive, nonjudgmental mutual-support environment for those who wish to withdraw from benzodiazepines.

Members of the BenzoBuddies community are encouraged to exchange ideas, information and support during the process of withdrawal and recovery.

Although outside of the immediate scope of BenzoBuddies, members are free to discuss their wider medical problems and needs as they relate to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal.

Taking or quitting any medicine—including benzodiazepines—should be a personal decision made in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner.

Through a peer-support model, we strive to help members achieve their goals.

BB is not an anti-benzodiazoine website. Rather, it is primarily a support group focussed on helping members deal with problems associated with their use of benzodiazepines and withdrawal. However, we also make clear that we help members achieve whatever their goal might be in relation to their use of benzos. Some members - on balance - prefer to keep taking benzodiazepines, perhaps at a reduced dose, or perhaps not. Some reinstate. That's fine too. These are properly decisions for the individual to make for themselves in consultation with their doctor. Though some doctors are not very knowledgeable about benzodiazepines, this does not equate to random people on the Internet being suitable replacements for professional healthcare. Surely this common sense!

As for cold turkey withdrawal: unless benzodiazepines have been taken for a short time and/or at a small dose, it is potentially very dangerous (or even lethal) to quit cold turkey. This does not mean that tapers should last for years, but withdrawal always should be discussed with a doctor. This is especially true for those who suffer from conditions associated with seizures.

Thanks, Colin.  I have indeed been accused of being anti-meds, anti-psychiatry and even a supporter of Scientology.  I am none of these things. 

Thanks, Colin.  I have indeed been accused of being anti-meds, anti-psychiatry and even a supporter of Scientology.  I am none of these things.

Oh my god????

That is ridiculous.So sorry that you have to deal with that.

Oh my god????

It is common if you are critical of psychiatric drugs.

Oh my god????

2 days ago someone said "anything and everything is your fault" and I just answered "hey! I did NOT burn the rain forest!"

(or did I? >:D)

Oh my god????

2 days ago someone said "anything and everything is your fault" and I just answered "hey! I did NOT burn the rain forest!"

(or did I? >:D)

Strange comment to make. 

Lookingforward, thanks for mentioning this.  I'm new to the forum, and I definitely have my problems with psychiatric drugs, the way they are pushed through the approval process, the way they are marketed, and the way they are often foolishly dispensed. But I'll try to do my best to keep a (relative) lid on it.  ;)

Lookingforward, thanks for mentioning this.  I'm new to the forum, and I definitely have my problems with psychiatric drugs, the way they are pushed through the approval process, the way they are marketed, and the way they are often foolishly dispensed. But I'll try to do my best to keep a (relative) lid on it.  ;)

I don't spend much time here now, but I am campaigning on a daily basis on these issues so I try to keep the two separate as far as possible.  I believe in people having information, because I never had.  Was prescribed the drugs many years ago when there was little or no information provided and there was no internet.  Pro informed consent and patient safety. rather than anti-anything apart from unnecessary iatrogenic harm.  I have learned so much since coming off benzos.  I wish I had known it all before accepting a prescription.