Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Question about tapering from 3 equal doses of Valium

[Al...]

I began my DLMT from 3 equal doses of 5mg Valium each dose.  I decided to taper one dose at a time.  I am taking a 5mg pill in the AM, my tapered liquid dose in the afternoon and another 5mg pill before bed.

I have tapered my afternoon liquid dose down to 2.5mg; so I am taking a total of 12.5mg/day.

My question is when I finally taper that afternoon dose down to zero and I begin to taper the morning dose, I will, in effect, be starting another DLMT of the 5mg morning dose.  Won't my body react to that as an updose and throw my whole CNS out of whack?  Or will it react as if I am simply taking my regular morning 5mg pill dose?

I want to avoid any s/x at all costs.

Also, do you think that it would be better to DLMT the morning and PM dosages equally together, after I finish tapering my afternoon dose?

Thanks!

Al

You'll be fine.  Because of its long half-life, diazepam is very tolerant to varying your daily dose. 

Most folks do just fine on 2 doses/day, and many find 1X day OK.  The real reason 2X day is commonly Rx is NOT to keep the blood level uniform, its because most folks find diazepam so sedating, it's usually Rxd in 2 doses to spread the sedative  effect.

Even when on a steady therapeutic dose, I varied my 2 doses dramatically, typically taking 2/3-3/4 of my total dose at bedtime, and only a "token" dose in the AM.  And once i started my DLMT (tablet + liquid) I varied my doses in whatever combination was most convenient.  When I got down to 3mg/day,  I switched to 1X day.  I never experienced any difficulty varying my doses.

You'll be fine.  Because of its long half-life, diazepam is very tolerant to varying your daily dose.

I was hoping you would come along, builder.

Thanks!

Al