When Did Your Insomnia Get Better?

[th...]

Broken with vivid nightmares, unrelenting!

Ugh, that sounds awful. I took a benadryl last night and got about six hours. My alarm went off right in the middle of some REM sleep and I was pretty angry.

Thinkstopthink

I'm the same way. I have forgotten what sleepy feels like. Even when I "fall" asleep, it's almost like my brain suddenly goes into light dream sleep. It doesn't progress normally through the stages.

Thinkstopthink

I'm the same way. I have forgotten what sleepy feels like. Even when I "fall" asleep, it's almost like my brain suddenly goes into light dream sleep. It doesn't progress normally through the stages.

Hi Ptsdmiracle,

Wow, that doesn't sound good. I've been up 30 hours or so and I'm getting delirious.

Think stop think

Oh man

Maybe tonight your brain will sleep, try to distract yourself duir#g the day

I sure hope so! It's been 36 hours. And I'm not even sleepy. Head pressure sucks, tho'.

• 2 months later...

7.5 months out, I have slept fairly well the last 3.5 weeks. On occasion I will have a 5+ hour night. Usually I drank caffeine late in the day or sugar. I found my triggers and stay away from them. 

Most importantly, I started exercising about 6 months. It was hard to get going but I went slow and steady. Now doing the elliptical for 1.5 miles in 15 min. This works for me.

Hang tough everyone, I gets better...

About 4 months after jumping I started to sleep more normally. Not prefect but more typical. I started to dream and when I woke up my body felt more normal. I went months where I would wake up feeling like my entire body was vibrating and I was in a panic. I do still have intermittent inner vibrations but it's different than the ones I was having when I would wake up in the morning. I suspect it had something to do with cortisol since people get a big surge of cortisol in the morning.

Stop looking at a computer screed by 6pm. Read books to relax. That has also helped.

This book saved my sanity.  The Effortless Sleep Method by Sasha Stevens. I was thinking about sleep completely wrong. I sleep in 2 parts now. I wake around 1 am or so a go to the living room for an hour. Watch tv, surf etc and when I go back to bed I usually fall out. I don’t stress or talk about it anymore. I only use my bedroom for sleep now which is the other big revelation for me.

I even bought this book for my primary care physician so he may use it instead of benzos.

middleson, how long before you fall asleep in the second part? i also have broken sleep, but wen i wake up i just lay in bed, but it akes me a whle to fall back asleep agian

sometimes the 2nd sleep doesn’t take so I’ll get up and go to the living room again for 30 mins or so. It’s  frustrating but being in the living room awake is so much better than laying in bed awake. Its just gonna take me some time to get to a solid 8 but 2 sessions of 3 hours isn’t terrible. Sometimes I look forward to my midnight half-time.

The big thing is I’m not stressing about sleep anymore.

My sleep came back incrementally, slowly, ups and downs like everything else. 4 months off at my worst I was 1-2 hour nights with panic all night long. I also had a baby (well my wife did : ) mixed in there around the 6 month mark which f’ed things up for a while. I now sleep 8-10 hours a night. Wake up and roll over a couple times and go right back to sleep. No more nocturnal panic attacks, seizure like symptoms, Adrenalin rush wake ups, etc. Sleep really turned a corner for me at about a year, I started dreaming again and it became more restorative. I have always had good sleep hygiene, that’s important. Full disclosure, I started 3.75mg mirtazipine at 3-4 month mark, it got me a couple extra broken hours usually. I’ve remained on same dose but was several months later I saw a lot more improvement. I believe most of it was natural healing process.

[dd...]

The big thing is I’m not stressing about sleep anymore.

This was the biggie for me.  I still wake up at 3 or 4 am sometimes, but I'm no longer bothered about it. 

fwiw, I keep the laptop next to the bed (saves me getting up which tends to wake me up even more).  I'll surf or do some light gaming or maybe do some light web work, and usually fall back to sleep in an hour or two.  I guess having the laptop on while in bed isn't supposedly good sleep hygiene according some experts, but whatever...