Do people talk rubbish on YouTube?

[Cr...]

I do 5mg Valium a day, so a pretty low dose, but daily as I'm tapering and have dependence. I'm still able to go to the gym. I passed a spirometry asthma test with flying colours. I can do chores, I can still drive, and do some shopping. I don't believe I'm brain damaged. I have cog-fog, but so do 99.9% of people going through benzo withdrawal as well. How many of the YouTube comments are credible?

Thanks.

I have issues with TRT.  You mentioned you go to the gym.  Have your tried TRT while on the valium?  Curious if it exacerbated w/d symptoms for you?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Cr...]

• [bu...]

• [lo...]

• [Da...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I do 5mg Valium a day, so a pretty low dose, but daily as I'm tapering and have dependence. I'm still able to go to the gym. I passed a spirometry asthma test with flying colours. I can do chores, I can still drive, and do some shopping. I don't believe I'm brain damaged. I have cog-fog, but so do 99.9% of people going through benzo withdrawal as well. How many of the YouTube comments are credible?

Thanks.

I have issues with TRT.  You mentioned you go to the gym.  Have your tried TRT while on the valium?  Curious if it exacerbated w/d symptoms for you?

Sorry, but what's TRT?

Sometimes gym has exacerbated symptoms, other times it hasn't. It depends on whether I push too hard or not.

Dave.  8)

Sorry, but what's TRT?

Testosterone Replacement Therapy

Can't say I've tried that whilst on Valium. Does it work?

Dave.  8)

It is ironic that the same people who possibly had their lives saved by information that they found on the internet are quick to denounce the internet as a source of valuable information.

Believing that everything you read on the internet is nonsense is every bit as foolish as believing everything you read on the internet.

Ouch, total destruction of snarky comments in two sentences. Nice call out, Florida Guy.

Ironically, you are probably more likely to be misinformed by your doctor than people on this forum when it comes to benzos.

Ironically, you are probably more likely to be misinformed by your doctor than people on this forum when it comes to benzos.

Which is precisely the reason I am on BB. Doctors are so behind the times, and believe the "cure" for an "underlying medical illness" is to throw drugs at the poor patient.

Dave.  8)

Hi,  We do understand that you may have had a bad experience.  However,  BenzoBuddies is not an anti-doctor forum.  While it is fine to talk about one's personal experiences, generalized negative statements are against the rules here. 

Please review the forum guidelines below

Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist and Anti-medicine

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Magrita

Which is precisely the reason I am on BB. Doctors are so behind the times, and believe the "cure" for an "underlying medical illness" is to throw drugs at the poor patient.

Dave.  8)

Hi,  We do understand that you may have had a bad experience.  However,  BenzoBuddies is not an anti-doctor forum.  While it is fine to talk about one's personal experiences, generalized negative statements are against the rules here. 

Magrita

I guess truth is not an exculpatory factor.

Dave.  8)

Magrita

:thumbsup:

Magrita

I have removed the message.

Dave (Crowman88).

Builder, I agree mate, YouTube is a shocking place for "advice". I found this place to be the best. There are some people on YouTube that are still suffering protracted withdrawals even after tapering, but God only knows how much of their drug they were taking.

...and you need to take a lot of what you read here with a big grain of salt!  ::)

Take it with a grain of salt any place. Those YouTube people are in such dire misery they can’t think straight. Ignore....that’s what I do.

Builder, I agree mate, YouTube is a shocking place for "advice". I found this place to be the best. There are some people on YouTube that are still suffering protracted withdrawals even after tapering, but God only knows how much of their drug they were taking.

...and you need to take a lot of what you read here with a big grain of salt!  ::)

Take it with a grain of salt any place. Those YouTube people are in such dire misery they can’t think straight. Ignore....that’s what I do.

Hi benzogirl,

I've come to realise what these people don't tell you is what other drugs they take.

Sixslow took Xanax after being a chronic alcoholic for years.

Jocelyn got floxed twice with Levaquin and Cipro and took Ativan with her benzo.

So no, you cannot trust everything YouTube tells you.

Dave.  8)

Exactly.

The same goes for other social media including this one. I have found members drinking but not saying so as well as one person on 61 supplements and is still sick many years out. Of course there iis no rule here. You can say what you’re on or not. A signature is not necessary. But I keep mine honest so people know my story.....

Magrita

Hi Magrita,

I'd like to apologize. I don't mean to be a smartass and I know you have a tough job and you do it well. But I do find it a bit dispiriting that on a website for people harmed by doctors, we cannot make any general negative evaluation of the profession. I'm not even sure they do more good than harm, which everyone just takes for granted (sort of a strange assumption given the nature of this website). Polypharmacy is common among both psychiatric patients and the elderly and is associated with excess mortality and morbidity, for example. Informed consent is clearly not a priority in medicine, and gaslighting and lying is an epidemic and standard part of medical culture. I'm just not really sure - given the wrecklessness of the profession - that discouraging trust in doctors and medical treatment is a bad thing.  Skepticism of their claims should be the rule.

Sorry again for my rudeness.

I do find it a bit dispiriting that on a website for people harmed by doctors,

This is NOT "...a website for people harmed by doctors"!! 

This is a website for people who have a dependency on benzodiazepines, and are seeking advice and help to withdraw from that dependency.

"BenzoBuddies: an inclusive, nonjudgmental mutual-support environment for those who wish to withdraw from benzodiazepines.

Members of the BenzoBuddies community are encouraged to exchange ideas, information and support during the process of withdrawal and recovery.

Although outside of the immediate scope of BenzoBuddies, members are free to discuss their wider medical problems and needs as they relate to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal.

Taking or quitting any medicine—including benzodiazepines—should be a personal decision made in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner."

Through a peer-support model, we strive to help members achieve their goals."

http://mail.benzobuddies.org/

(emphasis added)

If you really wish to pursue an agenda to blame doctors for whatever harm you perceive, there are online forums committed to that.

Magrita

Hi Magrita,

I'd like to apologize. I don't mean to be a smartass and I know you have a tough job and you do it well. But I do find it a bit dispiriting that on a website for people harmed by doctors, we cannot make any general negative evaluation of the profession. I'm not even sure they do more good than harm, which everyone just takes for granted (sort of a strange assumption given the nature of this website). Polypharmacy is common among both psychiatric patients and the elderly and is associated with excess mortality and morbidity, for example. Informed consent is clearly not a priority in medicine, and gaslighting and lying is an epidemic and standard part of medical culture. I'm just not really sure - given the wrecklessness of the profession - that discouraging trust in doctors and medical treatment is a bad thing.  Skepticism of their claims should be the rule.

Sorry again for my rudeness.

Data_Guy you are awesome.

i bolded he parts that sang to me.

i also am not antidoctor, i have had a few wonderful physicians in my days, that were very competent, kind, compassionate, beyond the money-hungriness that plagues most of their profession, very educated and up to date, willing to let my sxs guide my treatments, and i owe them so much. they took their hypocratic oaths quite seriously.

but i agree with so much of what you expressed in bold above, and have a very healthy distrust of big pharma and drugs in general, not all but the great majority of drugs, and in the medico-pharmaceutical complex as it is today. a healthy skepticism.

there are extremes in everything, and neither  you nor i have the extremist views. the fact that speaking against all the damage done by incompetent "care-ers" is not welcomed here is indeed discouraging, however i still have found this forum to be helpful, despite the stringent rules regarding this topic. so i've stayed. yes, we have to weed through a lot of crap to get to the good stuff, but i think it's pretty much the same on any forum anywhere you go online these days. the only forums where you can speak in total freedom on any topic are so full of vitriolic hate and trolling that it's just as bad as having to watch your every word and pharsing and tone! so given the choice, say over reddit and BB, i choose BB. at least here there are quick moves against trolls and we have some guidelines which do serve our better good. it's a give and take, i suppose, a compromise.  i get frustrated, too. and i don't think your post was rude in any form or fashion. it was eloquent and succint.

I do find it a bit dispiriting that on a website for people harmed by doctors,

This is NOT "...a website for people harmed by doctors"!! 

This is a website for people who have a dependency on benzodiazepines, and are seeking advice and help to withdraw from that dependency.

"BenzoBuddies: an inclusive, nonjudgmental mutual-support environment for those who wish to withdraw from benzodiazepines.

Members of the BenzoBuddies community are encouraged to exchange ideas, information and support during the process of withdrawal and recovery.

Although outside of the immediate scope of BenzoBuddies, members are free to discuss their wider medical problems and needs as they relate to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal.

Taking or quitting any medicine—including benzodiazepines—should be a personal decision made in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner."

Through a peer-support model, we strive to help members achieve their goals."

http://mail.benzobuddies.org/

(emphasis added)

If you really wish to pursue an agenda to blame doctors for whatever harm you perceive, there are online forums committed to that.

I don't know what to say to this other than I think you would need to be pretty blind to see that most people who come to this website find they were misinformed as to the level of physical dependence these drugs can cause, the harm that can result, the 2-4 week maximum recommended treatment period, as well as the extreme and disabling distress of withdrawal (even if the person isn't actually disabled physically, which many are).

I won't pretend to know what Colin thinks, but it seems if someone feels they need nearly 24/7 support available as a result of a prescription from a doctor because of physical and psychological distress, that would fit anyone's definition of harm. Even if you were to take a random selection of the most recent posts, you'd find most people were harmed by their treatment. So yes, this is a site for people harmed by doctors, whether it was created for that purpose or not.

This isn't the first wave of patients harmed by misuse of these drugs by the medical profession. So much harm was done in the past, with so much accompanying public outrage, that movies were actually made about it. And yet it is happening again. I think the fact that overdose deaths involving benzodiazepines have increased by 700% since 1999 is a pretty good indication of the attention medicine allocates to patient safety. The level of institutional amnesia and callous recklessness required for that to happen in an organization ostensibly concerned with promoting health is mind-boggling.

It does feel like censorship when one can't call a spade a spade.

The medication spellbinding and doctor worship is a strange cultural phemonenon.  Doctors and scientists seem to be our new priests.  This is how hierarchy becomes established.

I think our economic system is at the root of much of this but there's more to it.

Question Authority.  And follow the money...

I don't know about YouTube, but Christopher Lane, who is a PhD, has written a very thorough article for Psychology Today on the damage caused by benzodiazepines:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/side-effects/201011/brain-damage-benzodiazepines

It does feel like censorship when one can't call a spade a spade.

The medication spellbinding and doctor worship is a strange cultural phemonenon.  Doctors and scientists seem to be our new priests.  This is how hierarchy becomes established.

I think our economic system is at the root of much of this but there's more to it.

Question Authority.  And follow the money...

woo doggies! i couldn'a said it better myself Cookienose!!  :smitten:

I don't know about YouTube, but Christopher Lane, who is a PhD, has written a very thorough article for Psychology Today on the damage caused by benzodiazepines:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/side-effects/201011/brain-damage-benzodiazepines

thx for this! great research and article!