Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Dissolve Ativan with boiled water - is this ok?

[no...]

I would love a taper schedule my original dose was 1 mg bit down to .75.  Still  dissolving a 1 mg tablet removing enough liquid to make it to .75. Can someone help me with the math? Thank you in advance

I would love a taper schedule my original dose was 1 mg bit down to .75.  Still  dissolving a 1 mg tablet removing enough liquid to make it to .75. Can someone help me with the math? Thank you in advance

It doesn't matter whether its bottled water, tap water, hot water, cold water, sparkling water, or any other kind of water,  ativan is NOT readily water soluble.  But it is highly soluble in a tiny amount of vodka or propylene glycol, then it can be diluted with water.

But I can help you with a very simple procedure using a common solvent (vodka or PG) to make a dilute solution to taper with.

Pure lorazepam is an almost white powder that is nearly insoluble in water...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorazepam

Lorazepam, like diazepam, is virtually insoluble in water.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/lorazepam

Loprazepam is odourless or almost odourless .  It is practically insoluble in water;

http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/pharm/pim223.htm#SectionTitle:3.3%20%20Physical%20properties

If you make a real, uniformly-distributed solution, you can do this:

Use 8mg of tablets to make 80mls of liquid.  This will be about a 10 day supply, .1mg=1ml  Here's a plan that will taper 5-6%/14 days.

.75mg                  7.5ml

.747mg                7.47ml

.744mg                7.44ml

.741mg                7.41ml

etc.....

Just lower your dose by .03ml (.003mg) each day.

Hi and thanks.  So how do I dissolve it in the vodka?  I see that it is not soluble in water and I try to shake the jar very hard to get it distributed evenly before I remove the throw away and then shake it up each time I take it out to divide.  Dissolving would be easier.  I am working with 200 ml of liquid and removing 1 ml more each day....but I am open to other suggestions on how to make this easier! 

Thank you!

Hi and thanks.  So how do I dissolve it in the vodka?  I see that it is not soluble in water and I try to shake the jar very hard to get it distributed evenly before I remove the throw away and then shake it up each time I take it out to divide.  Dissolving would be easier.  I am working with 200 ml of liquid and removing 1 ml more each day....but I am open to other suggestions on how to make this easier! 

Thank you!

Hello, I am doing a pure water titration with 1 mg lorazepam myself, and it works perfectly well when you apply the correct procedure.

I do not even shake my solution before drawing my dose out , because I do not need so, since the lorazepam is in solution.

I only need to shake a long time and thoroughly when I prepare my solution, once it is in solution it is not necessary to shake anymore.

I am very sensitive, and I notice very well when I get my lorazepam with the water and when not, and I had no problems at all with the transition from the dry cutting method to this method.

The procedure I apply is as follows:

I put a 1 mg lorazepam tablet in a small glass jar (with plastic lid, contained peanut butter) and add 100 ml water at room temperature.

The jar is about half full now.

I wait minimal 30 minutes to let the tablet break apart enough.

Then I shake thoroughly for 10 to 15 seconds.

I wait once again minimal 30 minutes to give it enough time to dissolve.

After this you could put it in the fridge for a few days if you like, but I would not put it at a too cold place in the fridge, because in that case it possibly might go partially out of solution again.

It is true that lorazepam is nearly insoluble in water, but this is a vague description, in fact too vague.

The question is: is it possible to dissolve 1 mg lorazepam in 100 ml water at room temperature, when applying the correct procedure?

In my opinion and according to my own experience the answer is yes, and this is supported by the solubility values given in the literature. For more details about the water solubily of lorazepam see this post:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=217524.msg2806791#msg2806791

Thank you!

1)  You put the vodka in a small jar and drop in the tablet.  It will dissolve very quickly.  Then you add water to dilute it to a workable concentration.  .1mg=1ml is very simple (no math).

2)  Make a multi-day batch, and just take your dose each day.  Do NOT make a new batch each day, and do NOT "pull and discard".  Just pull up the appropriate dose each day and drink it.

Follow the procedure and schedule I gave you above.

Builder if i put my 1mg in alcohol it does nothing ...when i put in water breaks up immediately ..

A tablet breaking down is NOT evidence that the benzo is dissolving.

There are typically 6-8 different ingredients in the tablet, some of them will be water-soluble.  But the benzo is NOT.

All tablets will use some type of binder to hold all of the granular material together.  Usually that binder is water-soluble, and the tablet will begin to deconstruct when dropped in water.  And some binders may be water-soluble, but not soluble in alcohol and/or PG. And some tablets may  have a protective coating that's not water-soluble. 

If your tablets do not readily deconstruct when placed in the solvent, then you can crush them, or muddle them in the solvent.  This allows the benzo to be exposed to the solvent, and dissolve.

The only thing that matters is that the tiny amount of benzo in the tablet (often less than 1%) dissolves.  It doesn't matter what happens to the  other 99+%.

Believe me on this  because the weight of evidence is overwhelming:  Common benzos are NOT readily water-soluble, but the are highly soluble in alcohol and PG.

Thanks for your reply but the solvent does absolutely nothing to the tablet...even muddled it does nothing..

I know you say 2ml of vodka to one mg benzo ...but it seems water only deconstructs it.

Thanks for your reply but the solvent does absolutely nothing to the tablet...even muddled it does nothing..

I know you say 2ml of vodka to one mg benzo ...but it seems water only deconstructs it.

Yes the water "...only deconstructs the the tablet."  But it does NOT dissolve the benzo

Once you manually deconstruct the tablet (crush, muddle, etc), the benzo will be exposed to the solvent, and it will go into solution ("dissolve").

Again,  99% of the tablet is NOT benzo.  It doesn't matter what happens to that 99%.  All that matters is that the tiny amount of benzo dissolve.  And I guarantee, it will!

The benzo is NOT water-soluble.  The benzo IS soluble in alcohol and PG.

Hi,

So I want to do this taper with the larger supply - I like the idea of drawing off only what I need to take so 80ml equals 8 mg and therefore 10 ml equals 1 mg.  That leaves me taking out very small measurements of liquid and dividing it into three doses per day.  I don't know if I have anything small enough to measure that.  Suggestions?  Also, when I get down to .5 mg I wonder how I go from there. 

I am not good at math at all at the moment.

1)  A 1ml oral syringe will measure .01 (one/one hundredth) of a ml.  So numbers like 7.47ml, 7.44ml, 7.41ml are no problem.  And please understand, just because the calculations work out to very precise-looking numbers, that kind of accuracy really isn't important.  If you make a small measurement error one day, it will probably cancel the next time.  As long as you follow a consistent procedure, and gradually reduce your dose, you'll be fine.

And note, because of the dilution (.1mg=1ml),  a measurement error of .01mg (one mark on the syringe) is only .001 (1 thousandth) of a mg...  An error of .001mg will never have any effect. Your tablets vary far more than that day to day, dose to dose.

2)  You will need a 1ml and 10ml oral syringe.  Most pharmacies give them away, or they are readily available (and inexpensive) on Amazon.

3) The easiest way to do multiple doses is pull up the full day's dose, put it in a measuring cup, top  it up to 1 full cup, and drink 1/3 cup for each dose.

I am still trying to get my head around the making what you drink without throwing away anything.  It is smart.  And I could be free of having to be making this thing every night.  So right now I am on .63 mg.  I am going a bit fast I know.  I would like to taper at a rate of 5% per week and see how I feel.  Would you mind giving me the low down on how to prepare a drink only mix  and what to remove so that I could use it for the recommended taper rate and perhaps how I would increase that rate to 10% per week. 

Yesterday I took less and had a much better day. 

Thank you. 

Imagine that your doc gave you a scrip for a liquid med and the dosing instructions were: "Take 10 tsp the first day, then reduce dose by 1 tsp each day"  You would take 10 tsp day1, 9tsp day2, 8 tsp day 3, etc.That's all there is to a daily liquid taper.  I don't understand why anyone would think that reducing your dose means you have to throw part of it away!  ::)

Combine 8mg + 16ml vodka or PG + 64ml water.  That gives you 80mls (approx a 12-14 day supply) of .1mg=1ml liquid.

Let's start at .65mg:

.65mg X 5% = .033mg

.033mf/14 days = .0024  round up to .003mg/day reduction

Schedule:

.65mg                  6.5ml

.647mg                6.47ml

.644mg                6.44ml

.641mg                6.41ml

etc...

Those are the amounts you extract from the supply and drink each day.

Hi Builder,

Can you help me to figure out the math on taking my dose down by 10% per week starting with .62 mg today.  It was suggested that I only take it twice a day now to help me feel less sedated in the day. 

Anyway, I feel like my brain can't get around the math.  But if I make a solution with 8 mg in 80 ml of water making 1 ml = .01 mg (is that correct?)  Do I start with 6.2 ml of the solution and then perhaps add water to that to divide into my two doses?  And for me it is how much to remove the next day that is the tricky part.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you!

That's exactly how I did it. I know it's not recommended, but it worked for me.

That's exactly how I did it. I know it's not recommended, but it worked for me.

Tell me what it is that you did exactly? :)  You just 'dissolved' in water and did the pulls?  I am finding I can't do the math in tiny increments to pull only what I need out of a pure solution.  Wish I could!  It would be less waste and just easier in general.  But I am in a habit now and it works for me.

Hi Builder,

Can you help me to figure out the math on taking my dose down by 10% per week starting with .62 mg today.  It was suggested that I only take it twice a day now to help me feel less sedated in the day. 

Anyway, I feel like my brain can't get around the math.  But if I make a solution with 8 mg in 80 ml of water making 1 ml = .01 mg (is that correct?)

No, that's 1ml = .1mg.

Do I start with 6.2 ml of the solution and then perhaps add water to that to divide into my two doses?  And for me it is how much to remove the next day that is the tricky part.

Per the schedule I gave you, lower your dose by .03ml (.003mg) each day.  To divide into 2 doses, put the full days dose in a measuring cup, top it up to 1 full cup, and drink 1/2 cup for each dose.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4125

Thanks in advance!