“The myth of the accidental overdose”

[se...]

https://www.theunion.com/opinion/columns/tom-durkin-the-myth-of-the-accidental-overdose/

Interesting article for discussion.  Should this person be forced to taper off their medication?

Excerpt:

“I’ve been on opiate medication most of my life, and on one benzodiazepine or another for decades. I am the product of better living through chemistry. I’m not proud of this. It’s just my reality. For me, my opiate prescription — along with a total pain management protocol — has allowed me to keep my chronic pain at a “tolerable” level so I can work and have a life.

Likewise, my prescribed benzodiazepine — along with years and years of cognitive behavioral therapy — helps me stay focused on my work and not obsess with suicidal ideation.”

Wrt the benzo, after decades of use, pretty sure it’s not effectively treating any underlying focus or obsessive symptoms anymore.

It is totally wrong that people are being forced off pain meds, or benzos, if they work for them.

>>More important, depriving me of my medicine would destroy my quality of life. It’s not like they have a better plan.>>

Thanks for posting that seltzerer.  I'm posting so I'll be able to view it w/fresh eyes.  Haven't slept since around noon yesterday/Sunday & I'm about to crash.  I know I can click "notify" but that will just send me updates via e-mails (what a pain!)  It won't be saved at all.  Only posts are.  (Unless I'm mistaken on that; right now, I'm really not thinking too clearly; I do need some sleep.

It is totally wrong that people are being forced off pain meds, or benzos, if they work for them.

>>More important, depriving me of my medicine would destroy my quality of life. It’s not like they have a better plan.>>

Yes, Just like Dr. Ashton said, after being on benzodiazepines long term, it should up to the patient and not the doctor to decide whether to withdraw or not and, if a patient decides to withdraw, to have the patient decide at what rate. If patients are forced to withdraw against their own will, they are more likely to fail to withdraw completely.