new jersey state legislature bill introduced

[se...]

If everyone on Benzos in the News is off “their “ benzo, then why not support others who are still trying to taper? 

Why try to frighten others who are doing their best to get off?

I thought BB is a support site, but maybe I’m wrong.

Thank you for saying this. I have a lot of issues tapering, and it's taking a long time, and sometimes I feel like a 2nd class citizen here for still being "on the benzo" where the others have made it off. I am all for people being proud to be off their benzos, but does that mean that the rest of us who are struggling need to feel like we're a bunch of losers who can't get off their benzos? This is one of the biggest reasons why I am not on this site as much as I used to be.

One reason it’s challenging for me to be supportive is I am protracted and still feel like absolute sh*t most of the time. When I get a window it is my gift to myself to try and experience any feelings of wellness I am able.

I’m sorry that there seems to be this kind of divide. I don’t know what to say, I’m not well yet and I don’t judge those of us who cannot be off yet even though I am.

Thanks mon pilote. I certainly understand protracted, and I don't blame anyone wanting to take time off for themselves to heal. All I wanted to say is that even within the benzo communities, there seems to be a wide gap between severity of symptoms and suffering, so people have tough time wrapping their head around other people's suffering.

Which leads me to the next point and that is "If people in benzo recovery communities have hard time understanding other people's suffering at times, it is no wonder that general public has so much trouble understanding this."

I do think there is a gap, all kinds of gaps of understanding even within the community. That is one thing I am a huge proponent of, discussion and understanding.

It’s good to get these things out, I agree. It’s good to capitalize on opportunities for better understanding, I feel. Thanks.

Yes. A lot of benzobuddies members need their doctors and their benzo prescriptions, but the only reason they need those prescriptions is because they are severely phyisologically dependent on these prescriptions.

Now, the culture of encouragement and support in recovery communities sometimes glances over this fact because repeatedly telling someone just how severely dependent on their benzos they are is not really conducive to their healing. Yet, the fact is that they are severely dependent. The horrifying chemical dependence is still real, and it's worthy to note that a lot of chemical dependence people on these boards experience is due to a lot of physiological damage that benzos had caused them. But, the only way to minimize further damage for some of us is to do a very slow taper that lasts for an extended period of time.

I think this is just too much for most mortals to wrap around their head, and I don't think these sorts of situations will ever be present in any sort of benzo legislation. Legislation and groups like BIC are a start, but I doubt that the full scope of the problem will ever be known to general public.

In other words, that person who walked out of his doctor's office and had gotten Trazadone instead of Klonopin for his insomnia may have lucked out beyond his belief. I am not saying that Trazadone is somehow wonderful. All I am saying that they'd been given a less harmful Rx drug without even knowing they had, as most people still believe that Rx's such as Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax or Valium are not really that dangerous if they're used "judiciously" and "responsibly".

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [In...]

• [mo...]

• [Lo...]

• [se...]

Alright, no argument, but why would someone such as myself who’s life has been significantly altered and nearly destroyed by bzds not have an interest in such matters as legislation, etc.?

I don’t disagree with what you’ve said, LF, but isn’t it better for people like us to try and educate ourselves and have some kind of ability to speak on and about these things?

What is wrong with having a Benzodiazepines in the News section—aren’t we the best ones to try and speak on any of it? How can we do that if we’re not even allowed to communicate and consider such matters here?

I guess I’m not fully understanding.

“Now, the culture of encouragement and support in recovery communities sometimes glances over this fact because repeatedly telling someone just how severely dependent on their benzos they are is not really conducive to their healing. Yet, the fact is that they are severely dependent. The horrifying chemical dependence is still real, and it's worthy to note that a lot of chemical dependence people on these boards experience is due to a lot of physiological damage that benzos had caused them. But, the only way to minimize further damage for some of us is to do a very slow taper that lasts for an extended period of time.”

It is worthy to note, the above can’t be underscored and repeated enough at this point... but I feel many of us at benzobuddies have personal experience with these facts and aren’t trying to sweep them under the rug. The rest of the world, however, is.

Am I doing something wrong by existing here as a member of benzobuddies... or? Because I and most of us aren’t the world “out there,” we may not all get each other or one another’s circumstances perfectly but I think many of us do try.

It also feels like there isn’t a lot of room for those who are off but still not well. There’s a protracted board but it seems like the protracted members come up against quite a lot of resistance and unwelcome in other areas.

I’m not getting what the message is, I don’t feel I’m doing anything wrong but I sort of feel like I’m being made to feel that way just existing at the stage I’m at. My windows aren’t experienced in wealth and ease of living... they’re also small and incomplete in many ways.

Don’t we all deserve to be here? I don’t get it. And isn’t each day hard enough... (?)

Alright, no argument, but why would someone such as myself who’s life has been significantly altered and nearly destroyed by bzds not have an interest in such matters as legislation, etc.?

I don’t disagree with what you’ve said, LF, but isn’t it better for people like us to try and educate ourselves and have some kind of ability to speak on and about these things?

What is wrong with having a Benzodiazepines in the News section—aren’t we the best ones to try and speak on any of it? How can we do that if we’re not even allowed to communicate and consider such matters here?

I agree. There is nothing wrong with the Benzodiazepines in the News section. I am not arguing against the section at all. Not my intent or my point. I do however understand the fear of those who believe that new benzo legislation will impede their ability to be able to taper off of them safely. Many people develop all kinds of health issues while on benzos, and it can be those very health issues that prevent a person from getting off of them more quickly. So that is a very legitimate fear.

Also for the folks who are off their benzo, their is a denial at large (general population) that protracted withdrawal even exists. Essentially, "the drug is out of your system by now, so you should not be having any problems". And that's another attitude out there that hurts people over and over. If protracted withdrawal was actually explained to people from the get-go, understanding of these drugs would be much greater.

And by protracted withdrawal, I don't mean the criteria of "one needs to be off the drug for at least 18 months to qualify as protracted". I think that's not helpful because I think it's possible to become protracted both on and off the benzos, which is something that is not commonly talked about.

And there is no secret that benzos can cause protracted issues in as little as 6 months of taking them off/on. It surely happened to me, but I was not able to recognize that the deepened existential fear, worsening anxiety, deepening depression, depersonalization and derealization, numerous muscle and joint pains and increased difficultly sleeping had occurred to me fairly early on, while I was spellbound as to those effects. In retorspect, I see that damage happened early on, but since I still saw benzodiazepines as helpful, I didn't realize that there was such a severe harmful aspect to them.

There is also another psychological phenomenon called attribution, where people attribute things happening to them to causes that may not be true at all. I think one of the main ways many people cat dependent on benzodiazepines is because they attribute their symptoms to everything else (diet, lifestyle, background stress, relatinoships, etc. etc.) without realizing that benzo is the problem.

And even if a person understood that a benzo is the problem, how is that person going to understand that considering that post and protracted withdrawal are mostly unknown to general population. And if it is mostly unknown, then the tumultuous initial periods off these tablets are going to be considered as worsening of one's mental/physical state and not an improvement.

And worsening of one's physical and mental state is in our society commonly treated with various types of medications.

I wish there was less shame in discussing these issues that are fairly obvious to those who had been severely harmed by benzodiazepines and other prescriptions drugs.

Am I doing something wrong by existing here as a member of benzobuddies... or? Because I and most of us aren’t the world “out there,” we may not all get each other or one another’s circumstances perfectly but I think many of us do try.

No, you are not doing anything wrong, mon pilote. And it's true that we are not the world "out there", but it is also is true that we are on a public forum after all. Now, whether many people outside of the ones being severely harmed by benzodiazepines even know of this forum is a whole other matter, but just the fact that this is a public forum and not the private forum changes the discourse quite a bit.

If benzobuddies were a private forum only visible to members, I imagine that there would be a completely different feel to it. If BB were a private forum only accessible by its members, would people even be posting in the Benzos in the News section?

I agree. There is nothing wrong with the Benzodiazepines in the News section. I am not arguing against the section at all. Not my intent or my point. I do however understand the fear of those who believe that new benzo legislation will impede their ability to be able to taper off of them safely. Many people develop all kinds of health issues while on benzos, and it can be those very health issues that prevent a person from getting off of them more quickly. So that is a very legitimate fear.

Also for the folks who are off their benzo, their is a denial at large (general population) that protracted withdrawal even exists. Essentially, "the drug is out of your system by now, so you should not be having any problems". And that's another attitude out there that hurts people over and over. If protracted withdrawal was actually explained to people from the get-go, understanding of these drugs would be much greater.

And by protracted withdrawal, I don't mean the criteria of "one needs to be off the drug for at least 18 months to qualify as protracted". I think that's not helpful because I think it's possible to become protracted both on and off the benzos, which is something that is not commonly talked about.

And there is no secret that benzos can cause protracted issues in as little as 6 months of taking them off/on. It surely happened to me, but I was not able to recognize that the deepened existential fear, worsening anxiety, deepening depression, depersonalization and derealization, numerous muscle and joint pains and increased difficultly sleeping had occurred to me fairly early on, while I was spellbound as to those effects. In retorspect, I see that damage happened early on, but since I still saw benzodiazepines as helpful, I didn't realize that there was such a severe harmful aspect to them.

There is also another psychological phenomenon called attribution, where people attribute things happening to them to causes that may not be true at all. I think one of the main ways many people cat dependent on benzodiazepines is because they attribute their symptoms to everything else (diet, lifestyle, background stress, relatinoships, etc. etc.) without realizing that benzo is the problem.

And even if a person understood that a benzo is the problem, how is that person going to understand that considering that post and protracted withdrawal are mostly unknown to general population. And if it is mostly unknown, then the tumultuous initial periods off these tablets are going to be considered as worsening of one's mental/physical state and not an improvement.

And worsening of one's physical and mental state is in our society commonly treated with various types of medications.

I wish there was less shame in discussing these issues that are fairly obvious to those who had been severely harmed by benzodiazepines and other prescriptions drugs.

Fair, I agree. Isn’t this one benefit of it being public, though? We have an opportunity to do just that (help people to open their minds and drop misinformation, stereotypes and innacurate judgements) even if most people aren’t reading... or even if it’s the wrong people (as in morally, also, like a million or billionaire drug company tycoon or employee—someone who has a vested interest in another way.)

Good points.

No, you are not doing anything wrong, mon pilote. And it's true that we are not the world "out there", but it is also is true that we are on a public forum after all. Now, whether many people outside of the ones being severely harmed by benzodiazepines even know of this forum is a whole other matter, but just the fact that this is a public forum and not the private forum changes the discourse quite a bit.

If benzobuddies were a private forum only visible to members, I imagine that there would be a completely different feel to it. If BB were a private forum only accessible by its members, would people even be posting in the Benzos in the News section?

Yes, I would. I’d be just as interested.

I mean, where would we even talk about any of this? Maybe we should ask for it all to be closed down... every board and thread and section that doesn’t directly relate to tapering and withdrawal.

How does that make any sense? To narrow our topics and areas of ability to communicate on the thing that has ruined and impacted all of our lives, in different ways. Having these expanded areas doesn’t prevent anyone from making any points made here, in fact it would make such expressions and the ability to share and consider alternate perspectives less likely.

Why not just not read here if it’s upsetting. That’s what I did. And it still is, but where else and what else can I do at this point?

We all have different ways of coping with this sh*t, mine doesn’t include acquiring extensive knowledge about the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics, or certain other areas but it does include an interest in the media, medical journals, people’s stories and legislation.

I mean, where would we even talk about any of this? Maybe we should ask for it all to be closed down... every board and thread and section that doesn’t directly relate to tapering and withdrawal.

How does that make any sense? To narrow our topics and areas of ability to communicate on the thing that has ruined and impacted all of our lives, in different ways. Having these expanded areas doesn’t prevent anyone from making any points made here, in fact it would make such expressions and the ability to share and consider alternate perspectives less likely.

Why not just not read here if it’s upsetting. That’s what I did. And it still is, but where else and what else can I do at this point?

We all have different ways of coping with this sh*t, mine doesn’t include acquiring extensive knowledge about the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics, or certain other areas but it does include an interest in the media, medical journals, people’s stories and legislation.

I would have loved to have heard a lot of people's stories when I was younger. I probably would have had little interest in pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics and such if I'd heard from enough people say something like "watch out, these are dangerous drugs that can do x, y, z". I would have been more than relieved to be spared from having to research pharmacology, which became a complete necessity as I no longer understood what the heck my body was doing. It made no sense. A person's understanding of dangers doesn't have to be extremely deep in order to avoid it. As long as it's understood in advance that severe danger exists, that would have been enough for me.

The internet is filled with places where folks are free to engage in political fights, but BenzoBuddies is not one of them – please stop the political commentary now.

Thank you.

Leslie Ash, no political fights going on here that I know of.

If you want to stop political commentary, then my suggestion would be be to stop in the very beginning of a post that’s opens up a discussion about any politician.

I do realize that the moderators and administrators can’t be all over BB as this is a voluntary position, but that’s my suggestion- just stop the topic at the very beginning.

Hi Intend,

I just wanted to mention an experience I had some time ago (a couple years ago maybe?) that gave me a tiny bit of hope with regards to education about benzos. I had called a distress centre phone line one evening because...well...I was in distress. Anyway, the person that I talked to was majoring in psychology at university, and when I described my situation, she said, "I know about that! We learned about it one of our classes..." Wow! I was pretty impressed. Now, I don't know if similar info is discussed in other health-related fields at that university (one of three very good universities in this city), but still, I was pleasantly surprised to know that benzo withdrawal was in the curriculum for psychology students there.

Lapis,

I didnt finish my education at Oregon State University because I got married very early as far as age.

And then when my kids were teenagers, I decided to go back to school here in Utah. I decided that I would go to Westminster college in Salt Lake City because they had a very diverse population of young students to older ones. All my credits from OSU were accepted so I was happy about that, and a lot of my friends at OSU were majoring in psychology and finishing up there degrees with no trouble. So when I moved here, I picked psychology for my major also. I thought it would be somewhat easy to get a degree at Westminster with that major.

Boy, was I wrong! All of their degree programs are highly intense and require many hours of study. So I took so many classes in psychology that my mind swims. I took a class that was required called Abnormal Psychology and Modern Life, and I just went downstairs to get that book. It’s is very thick, and says little about benzos at all, and the professor teaching that class did not focus on benzos at all.

I have never called a crisis line for myself, but I learned the “hard way” about benzos by using them. So, I have no idea what’s going on at Westminster now (they call it here in the US “the Harvard of the west”) but maybe they talk more about benzos now then when I was there. It certainly did prepare me well for the job I eventually took. (By then, I had experienced 4 traumatic situations, one right after the other which by request of my husbands psychiatrist, I “take these” which turned out to be alprazelam which I knew nothing about, and frankly, I don’t even think that psychiatrist knew anything about them either.

But my original point is that I have never been informed about benzos in any college I have attended which is 3. I finally stuggled  through to get my masters, but still no focus on benzos. It is possible that your universities know more than the ones here in the states, but this was awhile back so I couldn’t really say.

If everyone on Benzos in the News is off “their “ benzo, then why not support others who are still trying to taper? 

Thank you for saying this. I have a lot of issues tapering, and it's taking a long time, and sometimes I feel like a 2nd class citizen here for still being "on the benzo" where the others have made it off. I am all for people being proud to be off their benzos, but does that mean that the rest of us who are struggling need to feel like we're a bunch of losers who can't get off their benzos? This is one of the biggest reasons why I am not on this site as much as I used to be.

I'm having some trouble understanding the grievances here.  Me myself, I've been off for 4.5 years, and have regularly contributed to Benzos in the News, practically since joining BB.  So you're speaking to me for one and, obviously, I have to take this rather personally.  Have I unwittingly been guilty of this abovementioned insensitivity?  It honestly never even entered my mind.  In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen this attitude from anyone else in the News section either.  In my view, most of the "regulars" here are actually incredibly supportive in other sections of BB.  But in the News section, well, that's what we do here, we share and discuss news.

Also, for what it's worth, the BIC peeps who post here too, are themselves still tapering.

So I'm wondering, for clarity's sake, are both of you able to reference specific posts or comments of mine whereby it may be construed as my trying "to frighten others who are doing their best to get off" and trying to make"the rest of us who are struggling feel like we're a bunch of losers who can't get off their benzos".  Because, seriously, I'm thinking there may also be others reading who are a bit confused and not feeling too good about themselves now.

Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Intend, I didn’t read the news section when I was on or tapering or in acute phases of brain and bodily injury by benzodiazepines.

I understand where you are coming from in only wanting to see stories on benzodiazepines and I also understand the fear of having them withheld or the supply you need cut off before you are ready to be through with the prescription. I don’t think any of us want to see that happen, what I want to see is a recognition of our problem and informed consent about what these drugs do.

The pharmaceutical industry effects nearly all branches of medicine today, directly and indirectly, and the companies which comprise this industry sell other drugs. Benzodiazepines aren’t covered by the media very often, and when they are the facts about them are distorted and some left out entirely. The drug companies use similar tactics and strategies for the other drugs they sell, to those they use for benzodiazepines. Many of us who have been or are going through this have an interest in what happens with various psych drugs including benzodiazepines in terms of how they are created, regulated, marketed, sold and used in various medical fields and practices because of what has happened to us. In order to get a clear, objective and factual picture it makes sense to see what information is and isn’t being shared on all psych drugs and the quality and kind of information in medical journals and in media outlets which is available about them.

Many of us have curious minds and our interest in what is to be found in terms of all kinds of information is often rooted in how these medications are allowed to affect the population. In order to be as fully aware of what is going on with benzodiazepines as possible, it makes sense to look at all these different areas and other meds.

If people who have been through what we have, have accurate info and objective facts about the status of these drugs and how they are used, there is a better chance that the correct information would someday finally get out and that any policies or laws that come into effect benefit rather than further harm those who have not yet been prescribed these drugs, are on them and taking them as prescribed, are on them and tapering from a prescription and even those who are already off but who’s lives have been greatly impacted by the misinformation and improper prescribing of them.

Does that make any sense? I highly doubt you would find anyone here who would support doctors being advised to rip their patients off of benzodiazepines, rather I think that the opinions of those taking interest in Benzos in the News will have opinions of the contrary position which include guidelines, laws and policy to protect those already on benzodiazepines and those on and significantly disabled and harmed by them.

mon pilote,

I used to peruse the entire forum of BB, but when I got switched from one generic of clonazepam to another 6 times over a period of time, I actually became afraid of what I would read on Benzos in the News because it always seemed to be bad type news for me.

Bad news in the sense that I saw one study after another with negative commentary about benzos and addiction language used constantly. And all these switches have affected me emotionally, physically and even mentally.

Overall, I think I’m still a very sensible person, but every time I come to this area of the forum, I find myself “defending my position” of just wanting off before some politician makes substantial changes to a law that will affect me getting off this clonazepam.

Here in this state, they have an abundance of rehab places, and everyone gets “lumped in” with people trying hard to get off heroin, alcohol, opiates.

There’s a very big difference between those kind of drugs and clonazepam as you know. I have no craving for this drug whatsoever; I take it on a regular basis 2 times per day, and as I tried to taper with success at one point, all these switches have truly changed my thoughts.

I get frightened very easily now that I will hear once again (after acclimating to a different generic) that that generic is no longer available.

And I need no education on these drug companies. This past spring and summer of 2018, I spent so much time calling different drug companies to find about discontinuations of clonazepam. I called teva, Sandoz, endo, and so many others that I should have kept a list.

I became so afraid of another discontinued version of clonazepam that I cant describe my feelings. I still am fearful which is most likely based in reality. When one has gone through this, how can you not become fearful? It’s another trauma for me just as losing a loved one might be.

So what do I do with that? Not much I can do but hope what I’m on now continues to be made.

I may not have responded properly to your post here, but my mind is not the same as it was when I first started my ordinal taper. Sorry if I didn’t catch all that you posted.

I’m learning again to stay away from this part of the BB forum because I’m fed up with the negativity I find here from all these negative articles. I just want the chance to taper off because I still think I can regain my same old “self “again. I’m sure going to try anyway.

Like abcd, I’m still not sure how any of us are at fault... I think she put it well. I for one was made to feel even more sick today than I already felt by the comments I saw. I’d have to agree that I’m not feeling too good about myself because of posts on this thread today, though I’m still not entirely sure why I should be feeling that way.

If you see any of my posts on the subjects and areas of the subjects which have been addressed they are all strongly supportive of proper prescribing practices and of eliminating addiction language.

I feel I understand so much of what you and LF post and have even posted today, the parts from today I don’t understand I am still confused by and feeling terrible because of. Maybe the most confusing part is that I agree with so much but am just as unclear about what abcd has just pointed to in her last post. Would be considerate of you both to inform some clarity on these things.

[af...]

The internet is filled with places where folks are free to engage in political fights, but BenzoBuddies is not one of them – please stop the political commentary now.

Thank you.

Leslie Ash, no political fights going on here that I know of.

If you want to stop political commentary, then my suggestion would be be to stop in the very beginning of a post that’s opens up a discussion about any politician.

I do realize that the moderators and administrators can’t be all over BB as this is a voluntary position, but that’s my suggestion- just stop the topic at the very beginning.

Thanks for the advice, Intend.

Since we didn’t see your various political posts until several other members reported them, I have a suggestion.

Perhaps as soon as you post a political comment, you could report yourself immediately. That way we’ll be able to ‘just stop the topic at the very beginning,’ as you suggest.  :thumbsup:

So, if I understand you correctly, Leslie Ash, you are suggesting that I should have have reported the original post by seltzerer as being a political one?

And that would have stopped any mention of politics here?

If that’s what you are saying, I have to agree with you.

We generally don’t know any politicians position on a particular subject as I think there are way too many politicians in the US to keep track of everyone of them.

We have our city politicians, our county politicians, our governors in each state, our state politicians, and then our  federal politicians. I guess that’s it pretty much, but that’s a huge bunch of politicians to keep track of.

We really only know how we as individuals feel about anyone particular subject.

I hope I understood you correctly.

[af...]

Intend, I did not see Seltzerer’s comment, nor was it reported. Furthermore, the original message was not directed at you, it was general. The second was a response to your snarky comment.

You already know about the political limitations here, from past experience, so please do not continue to argue about this – it is completely derailing the thread.

Thank you. 

So, if I understand you correctly, Leslie Ash, you are suggesting that I should have have reported the original post by seltzerer as being a political one?

And that would have stopped any mention of politics here?

If that’s what you are saying, I have to agree with you.

We generally don’t know any politicians position on a particular subject as I think there are way too many politicians in the US to keep track of everyone of them.

We have our city politicians, our county politicians, our governors in each state, our state politicians, and then our  federal politicians. I guess that’s it pretty much, but that’s a huge bunch of politicians to keep track of.

We really only know how we as individuals feel about anyone particular subject.

I hope I understood you correctly.

Leslie, the thread has already been derailed as far as I can see.

seltzerers post that started this out was a political post, but from what I can tell, this type of post happens all the time, and it never occurred to me that it would be an incorrect thing to do on Benzos in the News. I initially only responded (as I remember) because I was fearful of this last part of what was in that New Jersey bill which was being concerned that my taper could be derailed again by not letting the individual have enough control over their own taper.

I need that control because I’m so sensitized by all these generic switches that tapering on someone else’s “schedule” would be extremely hard on me.

I’m aware that seltzerer was not directing his starting post at me. In fact , I can’t remember why I even happened to see it. Most likely it was because the LHSG where I usually post was slow getting started, and when that happens, I usually just take a look at the forum in general and saw it.

Gads, please remind me of my “snarky “ comment. Snarky means extremely critical, snide remarks.

I don’t remember responding that way on this thread ever.

In fact, so many people ended up responding and got mixed up that this became a somewhat confusing mess in my opinion.

I am not arguing with anyone. I thought my last post indicated agreement with you.

Just do what you will do and don’t prolong this.

[af...]

Intend, stop NOW.

Doesn’t anyone here get politicians? Making “back room deals” all the time. Almost the entire Republican Party of the US has been a rubber stamp for

Trump, so how about that?

Your post was reported, plain and simple, because it specified your opinions on Trump and the Republican party, which offended some members – AND the whole business of discussing the current administration in the US has been disallowed on BB, as you well know.

The snarky comment that you can’t recall was that the BB team should essentially stop political discussions before they’re even reported. It’s there in bold and easily seen, if you go back and look.

I’m only even responding here so that everyone understands:

***  NO US POLITICS.

***  IF A POST IS PROBLEMATIC, THEN REPORT IT.

DO NOT RESPOND AGAIN about this issue on this thread, or your posts will have to be pre-moderated.

If you want to discuss it with someone on the team, start a ticket at the Helpdesk.

Leslie, the thread has already been derailed as far as I can see.

seltzerers post that started this out was a political post, but from what I can tell, this type of post happens all the time, and it never occurred to me that it would be an incorrect thing to do on Benzos in the News. I initially only responded (as I remember) because I was fearful of this last part of what was in that New Jersey bill which was being concerned that my taper could be derailed again by not letting the individual have enough control over their own taper.

I need that control because I’m so sensitized by all these generic switches that tapering on someone else’s “schedule” would be extremely hard on me.

I’m aware that seltzerer was not directing his starting post at me. In fact , I can’t remember why I even happened to see it. Most likely it was because the LHSG where I usually post was slow getting started, and when that happens, I usually just take a look at the forum in general and saw it.

Gads, please remind me of my “snarky “ comment. Snarky means extremely critical, snide remarks.

I don’t remember responding that way on this thread ever.

In fact, so many people ended up responding and got mixed up that this became a somewhat confusing mess in my opinion.

I am not arguing with anyone. I thought my last post indicated agreement with you.

Just do what you will do and don’t prolong this.

I'm having some trouble understanding the grievances here.  Me myself, I've been off for 4.5 years, and have regularly contributed to Benzos in the News, practically since joining BB.  So you're speaking to me for one and, obviously, I have to take this rather personally.  Have I unwittingly been guilty of this abovementioned insensitivity?  It honestly never even entered my mind.  In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen this attitude from anyone else in the News section either.  In my view, most of the "regulars" here are actually incredibly supportive in other sections of BB.  But in the News section, well, that's what we do here, we share and discuss news.

Also, for what it's worth, the BIC peeps who post here too, are themselves still tapering.

So I'm wondering, for clarity's sake, are both of you able to reference specific posts or comments of mine whereby it may be construed as my trying "to frighten others who are doing their best to get off" and trying to make"the rest of us who are struggling feel like we're a bunch of losers who can't get off their benzos".  Because, seriously, I'm thinking there may also be others reading who are a bit confused and not feeling too good about themselves now.

I have every right to feel how I feel and I don't owe anyone any explanations. Empathy is a gift, after all.

Here's a letter one woman wrote about her iatrogenic benzo injury posted in a blog from the Benzo Information Coalition on their website:

https://www.benzoinfo.com/2019/02/01/new-jersey-woman-gravely-injured-by-benzos-supports-informed-consent/

I think this got lost in the shuffle, but thank you, seltzerer, for posting it. The more stories we have, the more we can change the system!

I'm sorry for that woman's pain. As we all know, though, we have suffered through the same things and are somehow told to just take it. No one outside understands what a true nightmare this is.

Here's a letter one woman wrote about her iatrogenic benzo injury posted in a blog from the Benzo Information Coalition on their website:

https://www.benzoinfo.com/2019/02/01/new-jersey-woman-gravely-injured-by-benzos-supports-informed-consent/

I think this got lost in the shuffle, but thank you, seltzerer, for posting it. The more stories we have, the more we can change the system!

I'm sorry for that woman's pain. As we all know, though, we have suffered through the same things and are somehow told to just take it. No one outside understands what a true nightmare this is.

My pleasure! Absolutely agree!  I'm glad this woman's story was heard.

I don't know if this'll come out right but wanted to try to say it.  There's a self-fulfilling prophecy aspect to this medication.  It makes you fear losing the outside help and support you need most.  Others see that fear in you and pull away.  They don't believe you.  The thing you feared most because of the medication (losing that support) causes you to lose that support.  It has been a big part of my experience at least.

Well, abcd, I guess we’re guilty and must have personality disorders in which we completely lack empathy. I am feeling very sick in my body right now and need to not post on here, log off and perhaps not log back on(?)

I guess I’ll just deal with the fact that there is no place for me.

Hurt and angry, this is too stressful and hostile a climate. I can’t think.

Maybe if other things had been made more clear in an inclusive and non accusatory way I’d feel like there was hope to reach better understanding or ??? Something better. Maybe this was partially attempted... either way, another awful day for being logged on and/or posting. Crap. Hope my body recovers. Feeling like hell again today.

I have every right to feel how I feel and I don't owe anyone any explanations. Empathy is a gift, after all.

This is just silly now, LF.  Feelings and empathy work both ways.  Nobody likes to be accused - seemingly out of the blue - of hurtful intent when all they thought they were doing was innocently and appropriately sharing and discussing the news in the news section ... in full accordance with BB's rules and the guidelines of the board. :-\

Kiss and make up?  :hug:

[af...]

If folks could stick to the original topic that would be great.

I’m not sure where the issues are occurring that are causing members to feel like second class citizens, or what exactly is triggering hurt feelings, but please report problems like that as soon as you see them and the BB team will handle them.

Meanwhile, here is where the discussion left off:

My pleasure! Absolutely agree!  I'm glad this woman's story was heard.

I don't know if this'll come out right but wanted to try to say it.  There's a self-fulfilling prophecy aspect to this medication.  It makes you fear losing the outside help and support you need most.  Others see that fear in you and pull away.  They don't believe you.  The thing you feared most because of the medication (losing that support) causes you to lose that support.  It has been a big part of my experience at least.