Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The 3 worse things to withdrawal from.

[87...]

[87...]

I came upon this.

I guess this is where it would be posted, if not the Mods can move it.

I just found it interesting.

Keryn.

Here's the Article-

http://www.livestrong.com/article/258848-the-worst-types-of-drugs/

The worst types of drugs are those that cause the most harm. Research conducted by D. Nutt and published in Lancet in 2007, classified drugs by three factors that together determine harm, namely physical harm to the user caused by the drug, tendency of the drug to induce dependence, and effect of drug use on families, communities, and society. Barbiturates, benzodiazepines and amphetamines are the top three groups of prescription drugs that cause harm.

Barbiturates

Barbiturates are synthetic sedative hypnotics that slow down the functions of the body and are used to cause sleeplessness and anxiety, says the Florida Alcohol and Drug Abuse Association. Barbiturates commonly prescribed include amobarbital, pentobarbital, phenobarbital and secobarbital. In small doses, barbiturates can relax the muscles and slow down breathing, heartbeat and the central nervous system. In larger doses they can cause drowsiness, unconsciousness and death. Drinking alcohol with barbiturates can also be fatal. Barbiturates are highly addictive, drug tolerance builds up to them and users can become dependent with severe withdrawal symptoms.

Benzodiazepines have rapidly replaced many barbiturates because they are more effective and safer in treating anxiety. Nonetheless, benzodiazepines can cause tolerance, addiction and abuse, and have harmful side effects. Research by L.P. Longo published in American Family Physician in 2000, shows that benzodiazepines such as alprazolam, clonazepam, diazepam and lorazepam are widely prescribed for anxiety and insomnia, are relatively safe and, with overdose, rarely result in death. Yet, when used chronically, benzodiazepines can be addicting. Moreover, benzodiazepines are often taken in combination with antidepressants, anticonvulsants, buspirone, antihypertensive agents and newer neuroleptic medications. These other medications can increase blood levels of the benzodiazepine, exacerbating side effects and fatality. Alcohol can increase the risk of death. Side effects from benzodiazepines include memory impairment, drowsiness, poor concentration, muscle weakness and incoordination, and vertigo. Depression, tolerance and withdrawal symptoms can also occur. Research by M.A. Lann published in the American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology in 2009 reported a patient who died from withdrawal symptoms four days after discontinuing alprazolam, a benzodiazepine traded under the name Xanax.

Amphetamines belong to a group of medicines called central nervous system stimulants, according to MayoClinic.com. Amphetamines are used to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and narcolepsy, a condition of uncontrollable desire for sleep or the sudden occurrence of deep sleep. Amphetamines increase attention and decrease restlessness in individuals who are overactive, cannot concentrate, are easily distracted and have unstable emotions.

Aderall XR is a prescription drug containing amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. According to the product label, Aderall XR is indicated for treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, a condition of hyperactivity, impulsiveness and inattention beginning in children under 7 years of age. The product label warns about sudden death and structural heart conditions that include high blood pressure and heart attacks, even in normal doses in children and adults. Side effects include anorexia, loss of appetite, weight loss, insomnia, headache, dry mouth and abdominal pain. The drug is also a Schedule 2 controlled substance, because it can be abused and cause extreme psychological dependence.

So what I gather Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, and Amphetamines are the three worse.

[87...]

I would have to agree Amphetamines.. Ritalin, Concerta, Speed, Meth, Adderall (SP?) would be bad to w/d from because if you are coming off an upper, then you would get w/d because of the "Slowing Down" just like coming off a Benzo would be "Speeding up"...

That makes sense, I came off Ritalin and yea I had w/d.. Anti-Depressants should be one of them too, but It may come in 4th or something.

K.

• 4 weeks later...
Wow.  Thanks for posting.  You know, if someone had told me 12 years ago that I would one day be addicted to one of the worst drugs in the world, I would have laughed and said that's ridiculous.  And yet, here I am. . .  Crazy life!

The thing that surprised me is that benzos are relatively mild in effect but horrible in w/d.  From what I've been told benzoes are as bad or worse than opiates to withdraw from.  These drugs are so cunning and deceptive.  And doctors dole them out like candy.

Makes me sick.

--Bluegus

Benzos are much  much much worse  to withdraw from than any opiate, and that would include the worst opiate, methadone, which they love to addict heroin addicts to.  Flick

i'd say heroin is worse- then meth and then benzodiazepines.

ADs are bad too

most people don't have a problem detoxing from benzodiazepines according to prof ashton

a minority do

everyone addicted to heroin has a problem coming off . same with speed or maryjane.

or ADs

The thing about heroin w/d is that it is over with in two weeks.  I have never heard of any study of the percentage of people coming off benzos that suffer w/d and toxic effects.  there is no study actually.  of course, that would be a moot point, since the people on this forum are people suffering from benzo w/d and benzo side effects. I came off heroin when I was 21 and it was like having a flu bug for two weeks. I had some cravings for a couple of months and that was it.  I would say some ongoing cravings would be the worst of a heroin w/d , that is what NA or AA would be useful for.  The cravings are more or less what define and "addiction"  . 

I never had any w/d whatsover coming off cannabis.  I did hear that maybe 5% might have some short w/d period coming off it though.  so that would be possible.

Speed drugs like methamphetamine are mostly psychologically addicting with not a real w/d syndrome associated. the bad thing about them is that they age your body rapidly and destroy your health.  having your health ruined  like that would make those drugs hard to come off of. a  hard  effect to face. for sure. 

I don't know about antidepressants , cause i never was on them more than a few days.  but i hear that many have a long term w/d syndrome from them too.  All the shrink drugs certainly have their problems.  Flick

flick if i am not mistaken you've said you don't believe in addiction to BZs so is the wd syndrome from BZs from the dependence on them or the addiction to them?

nice article on the withdrawal syndrome associated with marijuana addiction (and mental hospitals are full of MJ addicts - i've never been committed to a mental hospital so i can't speak from experience), particularly the :Suckling Reflex:

http://brainblogger.com/2009/06/15/marijuana-withdrawal-syndrome/

I’m 55 and I’ve been smoking pot off and on for the last 30 years… I had no idea of the withdrawal I would experience. Two days in, I thought for sure I had some dreaded disease. One minute I would be freezing, the next sweating. The loss of appetite doesn’t bother me because pot always helped me keep on an extra 5-10 lbs from the munchies and sweet tooth. Not sure how long it will take, but I do look forward to the day when this has all passed.

there is ample science on the wd from it but that really isn't the theme of this thread .

addiction is a horrible thing

happy new year

I got it, the quote must be from the 5% I heard about.  Of course, i would agree that most coming off a benzo would be defined more as "dependent"  that is that their body - brain became physiologically dependent on the benzo .  And thus the severe w/d syndrome that can last for such a long time in many people.  I think the modern term "addiction" does not usually apply to most coming off a benzo because it connotes a sort of craving factor that would be more addressed by a 12 step program.  not many benzo dependent people would do well in a 12 step program because they are not dealing with an "addiction " type craving , but more with the horrors of w/d syndrome.    The real changes that are made in the brain by a benzo dependency are what make the w/d so rough and long term often.  I guess such severe changes are not made in the brain of an opiate dependent person or "addict" . they suffer  a very short w/d syndrome  and then have to deal with the cravings for the "high".  opiates do tend to make people feel good.  People so sometimes refer to getting dependent on a benzo as being an "accidental addict"    Flick

Honestly, don't the two of you have anything better to do than follow each other around the forum and argue with one another?  Must I lock yet another thread?

Take it outside.

Honestly, don't the two of you have anything better to do than follow each other around the forum and argue with one another?  Must I lock yet another thread?

Take it outside.

Sorry Pam I am not following anyone around.  I did post on this thread above because I found it interesting about how benzos were worse than heroin to come off of and I originally posted about benzos being worse than heroin to w/d from.  I found it interesting because that was my own direct experience of both.  I can't help it if someone comes on behind what i post to try to discredit what I wrote.  please read the whole thread and see for yourself.  Anyhow, I would like to be able to post my experiences  that relate to some of these threads without getting flack for it{ not referring to you or any other mods}  is that a big deal?  I guess I could restrict my own experience and knowledge to my own blog if that would be preferred by you.  I do that too already of course.    Flick

[87...]

In my opinion, whatever the person is dependent on is well, what is the hardest.. If someone is dependent on let's say Percocet, then it will be a tough withdrawal etc.. it all differs, but that's just what I think. Uppers like Ritalin and so on, I believe can be hard to come off of because you're going from up to down, reverse that you have a Benzo down to up.. everyone is different.

Keryn.