Morning Panic Attack and Fast Heart Rate

[Ke...]

As anyone woke up with their heart pounding and extreme panic?  This just started for me last week and I almost called the ambulance this morning but talked myself out of it.  I don't remember this happening early on from withdrawal but maybe it did and I don't remember it. 

Hi I have had this in the past TRUST ME..Its hard

here is what I did

1/ I knew it was gonna happen so I immediately every morning had a distraction... I would switch on the Ellen Show (worked for me)

2/ Husband would bring me warm water to sip on while it was going on- helps with blood circulation

3/ Take loads of deep breaths..in through the nose and out through the mouth...repeat this over and over slowly

4/ Talk out loud what the anxiety is and shout out for help so the four walls in the room can hear you-let it out!

5/ Keep doing this until it subsides for the day..Its morning symptoms which are common in withdrawal

It wasn't easy but somehow I got through and so will you

My ideas may sound silly but somehow it worked for me

shania

yes unfortunately morning panic attacks are extremely common in withdrawal.  I've heard many people say it has to do with adrenaline or cortisol surges (but I don't know if this is factual).  The good news is people often settle down as the day goes on.

Thanks Shania for the advice, not sure why it hasn't happened much before now.  I"m on month 14, it usually calms down after 15-20 minutes but damn it sucks.

A beta blocker might help settle your system. I took 12.5mgs metoprolol twice per day during and for 2 months after my detox. Helped lots and was not hard to discontinue.

Thanks Shania for the advice, not sure why it hasn't happened much before now.  I"m on month 14, it usually calms down after 15-20 minutes but damn it sucks.

That's not bad. Mine would go on a whole hour or more. x

Hi,

I also used to have panic attacks in the morning, with heart palpitations and a sense of fear.

But for the past month I no longer experience them and this is what I've done, and I know for a fact that this and this alone works: I CUT ALL SUGAR INTAKES.

I will briefly explain how I got there.

My friend came to visit me from Korea and she noticed my morning anxiety which I could no control.

She enjoys baking and she made a lovely lemon drizzle cake. We binged on it and finished all within 24 hours. Needless to say I kind of felt sick and very heavy on my stomach (bloating) and so I decided to give my digestive system a break for a few days and stop eating sugars which I noticed triggered bloating.

Well, the following two days my morning anxiety disappeared and my friend also noticed this so I looked up online and many people going through benzos withdrawal mention sugars as a big trigger.

I used to eat my morning porridge with honey and before going to bed have a bit of chocolate or jam on toast. Since I've stopped eating sugars my morning anxiety is completely gone.

Give it a try. Hope you get better soon.

William

A beta blocker might help settle your system. I took 12.5mgs metoprolol twice per day during and for 2 months after my detox. Helped lots and was not hard to discontinue.

I tend to agree with this. Beta blockers are routinely given in most detox centers, to control blood pressure AND anxiety. Most use clonidine but they all work in pretty much the same way. My doctor prescribed one for me during withdrawal and I actually looked forward to taking it, because it gave me slight relief from the horrible fear and anxiety I experienced back then.