Bizarre Breathing Episode

[Fi...]

I had an episode where it felt like my brain was so revvd up, I could not breathe or at least it felt that way.  Like my brain was too stimulated and hyper it wasn’t engaged in the breathing process.  I put on my O2 meter 97% 78bpm.  BP 152/91.  Has anyone experienced anything like this?  It wasn’t like hyperventilating because I think with that you breathe really fast and can’t catch your breath?!  This FELT like my brain was trying to do too much at once and just opted out on the breathing. 

Anyone had anything similar or you FELT something was happening? 

F4M

It sounds like classic hyperventilation to me.

I tend to have conscious breathing - where I have to think about each breath, or 'tickle'/lump in the back of my throat.

It sounds like classic hyperventilation to me.

I tend to have conscious breathing - where I have to think about each breath, or 'tickle'/lump in the back of my throat.

phenix

It just scares me to no end.  That I feel like I can’t breath, it’s not like air hunger.  That’s why I was so surprised to see that I was getting oxygen according to the O2 machine. 

You have Conscious breathing.....like air hunger?.    I’m sorry, how long have you dealt with that?  I hope it goes away completely for you.

F4

I've had, usually at night when in bed, what is described here as "air hunger".

It frightened me at first but have started to believe that it is connected to my anxiety, which is peaking.  I think (for me) when lying in bed it is easy to focus on my breathing and think that I have to consciously breath. 

I've always got to remind myself that there is a LOT of health anxiety connected to WD, and understandably so, and this helps me a lot.  Breath easy. 

I always wake up breathing so I guess my autonomic nervous system is doing its job despite my protestations.  Sounds similar to what you might be experiencing F4M. 

Hope you are doing OK F4M.  :smitten:

Dee x

Yes, I have it a lot lately. It's VERY different from air hunger for sure. It feels more like my chest muscles are not moving or something. I also have this weird feeling in my head, like it's too much for my brain to keep going and it's going to shut down (different from a fainting spell too).

I've had this and felt like I was going to pass out.  Happened to me in the shower and I just talked myself through it and then sat down and rested the rest of the day.  Really freaky.

Yes, I have it a lot lately. It's VERY different from air hunger for sure. It feels more like my chest muscles are not moving or something. I also have this weird feeling in my head, like it's too much for my brain to keep going and it's going to shut down (different from a fainting spell too).

Ideal, Yes!!!!  That’s exactly what I felt.  3 times this has happened to me!!!

F4M

I've had this and felt like I was going to pass out.  Happened to me in the shower and I just talked myself through it and then sat down and rested the rest of the day.  Really freaky.

GC, you were able to talk yourself through it?

I've actually been struggling with this issue for about 5 months or so. It comes and goes with distraction, but ultimately is always there, just like the intrusive thoughts. The best way I can explain it is that breathing doesn't feel automatic anymore, when it enters my mind. It's like my body just doesn't breathe on it's own sometimes and I have to consciously do it, until I get distracted by something else. Sometimes it gets worse and feels difficult to breathe as well. I don't know if this is the same thing you guys are describing. Mine is definitely tied to anxiety, as I've been in a wave that is causing near constant fight or flight for no reason.

• 3 weeks later...

GC, you were able to talk yourself through it?

Yes.  This is kind of how my self talk went:

" okay, so here goes my anxiety again, making me feel like I can't breathe.  When I start to think, No NO, this can't be anxiety, it's something else, is when I really must remember that it usually IS anxiety, and slow and deliberate breathing can help me calm down and then I would know if anything else was also wrong.  It usually is anxiety and I will breathe in and out slowly.  I just need to rinse my hair, and take my time getting out of the shower.  If it is anxiety, it will be gone soon, and I don't need to worry about it."

After I got out of the shower, I did some breathing exercises and it was hard.  I had a hard time breathing slower, but the more time passed and then I was okay again. 

Absolutely, breathing issues have been my WORST symptom by far, slow breathing, fast breathing, not feeling my breathing, you name it, had this for more than a year now...