• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [Sh...]

• [Lo...]

• [br...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I see it differently, perhaps because at nearly six years off I don't get upset by adversarial discussion anymore.  Those who do will hopefully realize it's not to their benefit to see or participate in this board and take it off their permissions.

I guess I see it differently, perhaps because at nearly six years off I don't get upset by adversarial discussion anymore.  Those who do will hopefully realize it's not to their benefit to see or participate in this board and take it off their permissions.

One doesn't really know until they try it, so lets say it was an experiment for me that didn't go too well. I removed myself from the group.

[01...]

Same here – six months ago I would have been literally shaking with cortisol-y surges if I read this stuff, let alone manage to dive into political disputes bordering on street fights. :o

I couldn’t even read the papers because no matter how they leaned, it was all-Trump, all the time. It’s still that way of course, but I’m so relieved that my old nervous system is repaired enough that I let the stream of unwanted info go straight into the storm drain, and I can even engage. A year ago it was hard to even complete a sentence, so a brawl here and there is at least a sign of spirit and life.

Sorry to hear it, LF – a few months ago I would have begun to shake at the very mention of such a board, so I understand it must have been awful. Sorry for contributing to it for that reason.

Sorry to hear it, LF – a few months ago I would have begun to shake at the very mention of such a board, so I understand it must have been awful. Sorry for contributing to it for that reason.

Thanks LeslieAsh. My elderly mother lives with me and loves TV more than anything and she watches it all the time, and loves watching all the news, so I am exposed to it more than I'd like. When I was working F/T for years, I was mostly at work and was able to avoid the constant news coverage, but that was back then. It's ironic that a ton of workplace bullying led to Ativan, yet, being at home, completely agoraphobic, and being subjected to unwanted TV coverage is way worse than any of that workplace bullying. Maybe I'll be able to participate at a later date, but, right now, it is too much.  :o

Agreed...and I have enough problems getting people to respond to my questions about my benzo withdrawal issues without begging for a response sometimes. I lean conservative and I don't want to get judged for that. There are plenty of other websites to discuss politics. I'm pretty disappointed that people feel the need to discuss politics here when some of us are too sick to even keep up with politics because our withdrawal symptoms are running our lives. I know this isn't something I have to be a part of, but the feeling that it's necessary to make this available on a benzo board concerns me. I'm pretty sure I won't be back. I'll find another benzo support board. Sorry folks. It's been real...

No reason to let any of this upset you. Just stay away from that particular board and you will be fine.

Leslie. I'm just hoping that in a few more months I will be doing as well as you. At fourteen months it's still a little cruddy.

I think this new board is a terrible idea. It is an invitation to a brawl. It will produce nothing but division and hard feelings. It is contrary to the purpose of benzobuddies, which is to bring people together to help each other through withdrawal and recovery. Battle lines will be drawn, enemies will be made, grudges will be nursed, people will remember who was with them and who was against them on some issue that seemed important to them, and those various divisions and disagreements will be carried over onto every other board and thread at benzobuddies. People will refuse to help each other, based on those divisions.

Beyond benzobuddies there is a big internet, full of websites set up specifically for political discussion, organization, and even combat. People who have access to benzobuddies also have access to all those other websites. If they want to engage in debate, and if they think they are actually up to it, they can go to one of those websites, and nobody at benzobuddies will be any the wiser. There is no reason for us to expect benzobuddies to be everybody's everything. This is not Facebook. This is not YouTube. This is not Twitter. This is not an IRC Chat channel.

Of course, there are other boards at benzobuddies set up for non-benzo posts, but those posts are intended to divert, distract, amuse, and lessen the stress of this whole painful process. This new board will have precisely the opposite effect - and that effect is so obvious that it must have been intended. This will be the only board at benzobuddies specificially designed to provoke argument and conflict. And then, to add insult to injury, it is presented as a Christmas gift! You might as well stuff your children's stockings with loaded rifles.

Of course, I don't have to join this new board - and of course, I will not be joining it. But my absense from that board will not prevent the damage it will do to benzobuddies, to the morale of this community, to the spirit of mutual support and assistance. If I board an airplane where everyone is allowed to smoke cigarettes, it is worse than useless to tell me that I don't have to smoke. Oh, but, you see, we have a smokers' section on the airplane, and so.. well... uh....

The stench and the toxicity of this new board is bound to perfuse all of benzobuddies and ruin it even for those who don't subscribe to the new board. I really don't understand what you were thinking, Cousin Colin. But I hope you change your mind and shut this new board down, quickly.

Well, I hate to say it, but I think redevan was right. I disagreed with him, because I didn't see it the way he saw it, but am starting to realize the wisdom of his words. Yes, he may have stated it in a very stern and heavy and dire fashion, but I do believe now that he was 100% right.

I agree LF 100%

[5a...]

I think this new board is a terrible idea. It is an invitation to a brawl. It will produce nothing but division and hard feelings. It is contrary to the purpose of benzobuddies, which is to bring people together to help each other through withdrawal and recovery. Battle lines will be drawn, enemies will be made, grudges will be nursed, people will remember who was with them and who was against them on some issue that seemed important to them, and those various divisions and disagreements will be carried over onto every other board and thread at benzobuddies. People will refuse to help each other, based on those divisions.

Beyond benzobuddies there is a big internet, full of websites set up specifically for political discussion, organization, and even combat. People who have access to benzobuddies also have access to all those other websites. If they want to engage in debate, and if they think they are actually up to it, they can go to one of those websites, and nobody at benzobuddies will be any the wiser. There is no reason for us to expect benzobuddies to be everybody's everything. This is not Facebook. This is not YouTube. This is not Twitter. This is not an IRC Chat channel.

Of course, there are other boards at benzobuddies set up for non-benzo posts, but those posts are intended to divert, distract, amuse, and lessen the stress of this whole painful process. This new board will have precisely the opposite effect - and that effect is so obvious that it must have been intended. This will be the only board at benzobuddies specificially designed to provoke argument and conflict. And then, to add insult to injury, it is presented as a Christmas gift! You might as well stuff your children's stockings with loaded rifles.

Of course, I don't have to join this new board - and of course, I will not be joining it. But my absense from that board will not prevent the damage it will do to benzobuddies, to the morale of this community, to the spirit of mutual support and assistance. If I board an airplane where everyone is allowed to smoke cigarettes, it is worse than useless to tell me that I don't have to smoke. Oh, but, you see, we have a smokers' section on the airplane, and so.. well... uh....

The stench and the toxicity of this new board is bound to perfuse all of benzobuddies and ruin it even for those who don't subscribe to the new board. I really don't understand what you were thinking, Cousin Colin. But I hope you change your mind and shut this new board down, quickly.

Well, I hate to say it, but I think redevan was right. I disagreed with him, because I didn't see it the way he saw it, but am starting to realize the wisdom of his words. Yes, he may have stated it in a very stern and heavy and dire fashion, but I do believe now that he was 100% right.

I agree LF 100%

Well said by all as quoted above ..  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Vitriol and bad feeling did ooze through a lot of posts.

That sort of thing happens when you have a man like Trump as president of the United States.

I don’t think it’s about being emotionally ready to post about it. I believe it’s about his emotional readiness to be president.

But those are my thoughts. Others have there own. At my age, I’m definitely an adult. Not so happy about benzos but tapering so slow, I can talk about it all. I can get my back up, however, and I’ll react to button pushing. Such a contentious problem. Never wanted time to pass fast, since I was 13 years old. Would love to escape this nightmare.

intend To Be Off...You just proved my point...you brought up a political opinion (...”when you have a man like Trump as president...”) in a forum that has nothing to do with politics, and I’m betting I’m not the only one who was triggered by that. I decided I’d leave BB for a week to re-evaluate whether or not I would benefit from staying after I voiced my concern about potential “spill over” from the new current events forum. Now I’m back and see this kind of political comment that should not be on THIS discussion forum, and I’m sorry I came back for another look. I’ve been hanging out at the “tinnitus talk” website because that is my worst withdrawal symptom, and that board is not nearly as volatile. They discuss benzo withdrawal there, and I’ve gotten some good advice. Of note, Colin, there are other benzo withdrawal boards on the web, and some have been good. Your comment to my original post about there “in short” not being other benzo withdrawal boards out there wasn’t entirely accurate. There are more good boards out there than having to go through Facebook.

Colin, I can’t believe you let this Trump comment quoted here stand on this forum. The whole idea of the current events forum was so we wouldn’t have to be subjected to this kind of statement “here”. Now I’m sorry I came back to try again...think what you wish. I don’t need approval or acceptance of my opinion. But I do need someone’s “yes” to be “yes” and “no” to be “no”. Otherwise there are no guidelines and limits, and it’s difficult to get help and support on this board. You promised you wouldn’t let this happen, where these kind of political opinions and/or statements would bleed onto other forums...and yet there it is.

That sort of thing happens when you have a man like Trump as president of the United States.

I don’t think it’s about being emotionally ready to post about it. I believe it’s about his emotional readiness to be president.

But those are my thoughts. Others have there own. At my age, I’m definitely an adult. Not so happy about benzos but tapering so slow, I can talk about it all. I can get my back up, however, and I’ll react to button pushing. Such a contentious problem. Never wanted time to pass fast, since I was 13 years old. Would love to escape this nightmare.

intend To Be Off...You just proved my point...you brought up a political opinion (...”when you have a man like Trump as president...”) in a forum that has nothing to do with politics, and I’m betting I’m not the only one who was triggered by that. I decided I’d leave BB for a week to re-evaluate whether or not I would benefit from staying after I voiced my concern about potential “spill over” from the new current events forum. Now I’m back and see this kind of political comment that should not be on THIS discussion forum, and I’m sorry I came back for another look. I’ve been hanging out at the “tinnitus talk” website because that is my worst withdrawal symptom, and that board is not nearly as volatile. They discuss benzo  withdrawal there, and I’ve gotten some good advice. Of note, Colin, there are other benzo withdrawal boards on the web, and some have been good. Your comment to my original post about there not “in short” being other boards out there wasn’t entirely accurate.

Colin, I can’t believe you let this Trump comment quoted here stand on this forum. The whole idea of the current events forum was so we wouldn’t have to be subjected to this kind of statement “here”. Now I’m sorry I came back to try again...think what you wish. I don’t need approval or acceptance of my opinion. But I do need someone’s “yes” to be “yes” and “no” to be “no”. Otherwise there are no guidelines and limits, and it’s difficult to get help and support on this board. You promised you wouldn’t let this happen, where these kind of political opinions and/or statements would bleed onto other forums...and yet there it is.

And I think this post shows just how sensitive we can be in withdrawal, being offended at casual comments that we don't agree with.  OMG people.  Just stay off the subscription boards that are likely to offend you.  Try to read mostly in the threads that interest you or that address your particular problem.  As for the rest of the forum, heck yes you are going to run across comments regularly that you don't agree with.  Colin does not patrol these boards 24/7 hunting for things that might offend someone.  As he said before, someone is always offended no matter what.  That "T" comment was long gone, buried, and forgotten, but now resurrected.  So lets get a grip people.  Let it go lest you create the very thing you claim to abhor, those blatantly offensive threads that derail the original intent of the OP and take off in a nasty and often personal direction.  LET IT GO.  Determine to expend your limited energy in a positive direction, in healing, in supporting and encouraging other suffering souls, in ignoring all those things that sap your time and focus.  LET IT GO.

She

intend To Be Off...You just proved my point...you brought up a political opinion (...”when you have a man like Trump as president...”) in a forum that has nothing to do with politics, and I’m betting I’m not the only one who was triggered by that. I decided I’d leave BB for a week to re-evaluate whether or not I would benefit from staying after I voiced my concern about potential “spill over” from the new current events forum. Now I’m back and see this kind of political comment that should not be on THIS discussion forum, and I’m sorry I came back for another look. I’ve been hanging out at the “tinnitus talk” website because that is my worst withdrawal symptom, and that board is not nearly as volatile. They discuss benzo  withdrawal there, and I’ve gotten some good advice. Of note, Colin, there are other benzo withdrawal boards on the web, and some have been good. Your comment to my original post about there not “in short” being other boards out there wasn’t entirely accurate.

And I think this post shows just how sensitive we can be in withdrawal, being offended at casual comments that we don't agree with.  OMG people.  Just stay off the subscription boards that are likely to offend you.  Try to read mostly in the threads that interest you or that address your particular problem.  As for the rest of the forum, heck yes you are going to run across comments regularly that you don't agree with.  Colin does not patrol these boards 24/7 hunting for things that might offend someone.  As he said before, someone is always offended no matter what.  That "T" comment was long gone, buried, and forgotten, but now resurrected.  So lets get a grip people.  Let it go lest you create the very thing you claim to abhor, those blatantly offensive threads that derail the original intent of the OP and take off in a nasty and often personal direction.  LET IT GO.

She

Hey "She"...would it be okay if I had my own opinion without you correcting me and trying to tell me how to feel?  I'm not offended by the 'T' comment.  I'm concerned that the very thing we were told wouldn't happen has happened.  That makes this a not-so-safe place.  If you're doing so well mentally with your withdrawal symptoms and your benzo issues, then good on you.  Some of us are really struggling, and the last thing I personally need is for someone to 'correct' my feelings.

You're not a counselor.  Stay out of my feelings.  Telling people to 'get a grip' and 'let it go' is not exactly helpful.

Political comments (sometimes oblique or snide) have always been made to the forum. Temporarily, we disallowed political comments during the US presidential election. This 'temporary' policy was carried over in to the first year of the presidency more out of expedience than as a policy decision. 'Expedience' because it was easy - but this does not necessarily mean that it was 'right' or 'best'. I've always tried to allow for BB to be as encompassing as possible in the subjects discussed. Most forums do not allow religious discussion; (and contrary to my my own personal views) we have always provided a dedicated space for those members who benefit. As with politics, and most discussion forums, the easy solution would be to just disallow religious discussion. Disallowing political discussion would be easy too.

Imagine, a member posted an off-topic comment to one of the boards. Come on! Really? This happens all the time and on all forums. If you think a comment is inappropriate, you should report it. (You did report it, didn't you!? ::) ) We, The Team, do not read all the posts. We rely upon member reports (there is a 'report' button at the bottom-right of each post).

Very few member have joined the new board. Even fewer have commented there. Many of the negative comments to this thread are from people who have not even joined the board. How its existence affects you is a mystery to me. If anything, it provides a space for political comment which otherwise might be posted to the main forum boards. So, really, if you really do not wish to witness such discussion, the creation of the board is a good thing.

The new board has not been so popular so far. But that's OK. None of the subscription boards could be described as 'hopping'. But they all serve a purpose and that's all that matters. I am finding that I have to be more specific in detailing the kind of citations are (dis)allowed and how to use the board as intended, but that's OK. I did not create the board because I though it was the easy thing to do.

Hey "She"...would it be okay if I had my own opinion without you correcting me and trying to tell me how to feel?  I'm not offended by the 'T' comment.  I'm concerned that the very thing we were told wouldn't happen has happened.  That makes this a not-so-safe place.  If you're doing so well mentally with your withdrawal symptoms and your benzo issues, then good on you.  Some of us are really struggling, and the last thing I personally need is for someone to 'correct' my feelings.

You're not a counselor.  Stay out of my feelings.  Telling people to 'get a grip' and 'let it go' is not exactly helpful.

You have presented a strawman argument. Or, you will have to point me to where I or another member of the team claimed that because of the creation of the News & Current Affairs board, never again will there be an off-topic thread/post/comment to the forum. I really have no problem with members disagreeing with this or other BB decisions or policies. But you really should not misrepresent me or the team when making your argument. That kind of behaviour tends to elicit a stronger rebuttal from me than in most situations.

intend To Be Off...You just proved my point...you brought up a political opinion (...”when you have a man like Trump as president...”) in a forum that has nothing to do with politics, and I’m betting I’m not the only one who was triggered by that. I decided I’d leave BB for a week to re-evaluate whether or not I would benefit from staying after I voiced my concern about potential “spill over” from the new current events forum. Now I’m back and see this kind of political comment that should not be on THIS discussion forum, and I’m sorry I came back for another look. I’ve been hanging out at the “tinnitus talk” website because that is my worst withdrawal symptom, and that board is not nearly as volatile. They discuss benzo withdrawal there, and I’ve gotten some good advice. Of note, Colin, there are other benzo withdrawal boards on the web, and some have been good. Your comment to my original post about there “in short” not being other benzo withdrawal boards out there wasn’t entirely accurate. There are more good boards out there than having to go through Facebook.

Benzodiazepine withdrawal forums have always been known (in the time I've been involved with them - about 15 years) as 'volatile'. One of the old BB Mods used to describe moderating this space as like 'herding cats'. It goes with the territory, since most of us are not ourselves when taking or withdrawing from this class of drugs. Some old benzo forums had a zero tolerance to any 'debate' and would ban members left, right and centre. There tended to be tight line of what commentary was allowed, across all subjects, including benzodiazeoines use and withdrawal. Conversely, I recall one forum which made no attempt to moderate behaviour* - all of those forums closed. I made some tongue-in cheek-remarks about there 'being no other forums' earlier ion this thread. To be clear: I am not aware of any other sizeable English (non-facebook) speaking benzo support forums on the Net (though, I honestly do not monitor for such things). This was not always the case. There were at least four other large (English-speaking) benzo support forum running contemporaneously to BB at one time. They have all closed.

I am sorry, GsGirl, but you are just being argumentative.

* I think it would be better if there were more benzo support groups. I often described (publicly) the one with no effective moderation as the 'Wild West'. Now, that place did cause BB some problems, because arguments brewed (even distilled) there would sometimes spill over into BB through common members. But, even though I was very critical of how the group operated, I did contact the owner of the forum to offer my assistance when it went down following a hasty security upgrade (he ran the same forum software as BB). The upgrade was in response to relentless abuse from a troll (which some of you will know about) and hacking of their PM system. I mention this to clarify and enforce my claim about more groups would be a good thing. Some friendly rivalry, or even some less friendly rivalry is one thing. But I cannot abide bullies. And, at the end of the day, each to their own. If someone wishes to create a benzo support forum which is a virtually moderation-free zone, and some people wish to frequent there, it is up to them. Kind of like having a subscription board for a minority interest. Imagine that.

I’ll tell you what, Colin...let’s make it easy on both of us. I can’t process your post and really don’t have the energy to give a damn anymore. How about you make it easy and kick me off the board so I don’t be tempted to come back and have to deal with all this other crap that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I came here for support, not BS...and I’m serious. I don’t even want to be tempted. You “did” post that you’d make sure things didn’t get out of hand. I have chronic illnesses, an autistic son, and a myriad of other issues that require my attention. You don’t even know me or my life or situation. So I’m done, finished, and tired of the judgmental attitude...and don’t worry...I won’t let the screen door hit me on the butt when I walk out this door. Rock on with your bad self...I’m done.

So, you make a forceful post, and you are met with a forceful post. Your response.....

Why do you hold me to a different standard? Am I not entitled to post a strong rebuttal to your strong remarks? You complain about what you imagine the new board to be like, but your comments here are as strong as anything written there. Your expectations are unrealistic.

Right now feelings regarding the present political situation are running high with just about everyone .' Everyone' would include people not in benzo recovery as well as us  more fragile, delicate mortals . The country is divided as never before. Trump is regarded frankly as an anti-Christ by the majority of the country whilst others regard his rise to the Presidency as the Second Coming. You either hate him or you love him. And make no mistake , sides have been taken and a battle has begun.

I found your comments to be a little judgemental and naive She. The real world goes on around us all the time. We cannot ignore painful political issues nor should we. I for one am grateful to Colin for the new boards.

Trump is regarded frankly as an anti-Christ by the majority of the country whilst others regard his rise to the Presidency as the Second Coming.

Rabbit, please provide a link to this. And since hubby and I don't belong to either group you mention where does that put us?

[01...]

Trump is regarded frankly as an anti-Christ by the majority of the country whilst others regard his rise to the Presidency as the Second Coming.

Rabbit, please provide a link to this. And since hubby and I don't belong to either group you mention where does that put us?

Grandma, I’m guessing that you’re making a joke, since Rabbit is using the terms ‘anti-Christ’ and ‘Second Coming’ as analogies. Of course there’s no rule against using them, or requiring some sort of citation, when analogies are usually made on the fly.

If you need an analogy for the chasm between Trump supporters and everyone else, there’s already a well-known analogous saying that ‘oil and water don’t mix.’

Rabbit’s analogy is much more colorful and engaging though, in my own opinion. :)

What’s an ‘analogy’ ?

I found your comments to be a little judgemental and naive She. The real world goes on around us all the time. We cannot ignore painful political issues nor should we. I for one am grateful to Colin for the new boards.

BR, I too am grateful to Colin for the new board and his attempt to give those so inclined a platform and not burden the rest of forum with it.  I am not so inclined, but accept that there are those who are.  I am not suggesting that we totally ignore the real world around us or those oh so painful political issues.  I am suggesting that here on the forum we try to not automatically over react to comments and see slights and insults in our sensitive state when perhaps they were not intended that way.  Peace and out.

:smitten:

She

Sorry Colin. It won't happen again .

Oh. No biggie. Off-topic comments are common on every forum. And most forums usually try to nudge them back on track. Completely ordinary.

BR, I too am grateful to Colin for the new board and his attempt to give those so inclined a platform and not burden the rest of forum with it.  I am not so inclined, but accept that there are those who are.  I am not suggesting that we totally ignore the real world around us or those oh so painful political issues.  I am suggesting that here on the forum we try to not automatically over react to comments and see slights and insults in our sensitive state when perhaps they were not intended that way.  Peace and out.

:smitten:

She

Thank you for understanding, SWM. It is not as though, of course, we did not consider these matters. Why else would have temporarily disallowed politics and news relating to the US Presidential election in the first place; and then when we did allow for its return, restrict it to a separate, by-subscription board? You know, the other subscription boards too (Faith; and Protracted Withdrawal Support) caused some angst and push-bask when they were first created.

Thank you She and I certainly agree with you that those of us who are in a fragile state should be very careful of sensitive issues.

I had an L.O.L moment last year the day after the election. My husband and I made our usual weekly visit to the therapist. We were in a state of shock , but our usually calm counselor was beyond even that. We wound up comforting him whilst he mopped up his tears on the tissues provided for his clients. He had the grace not to bill us.