Important Survey - Please Participate ×

muscles and benzodiazepine withdrawal

[le...]

Hello buddies,

I THINK this would be a "chewing the fat" topic...Does anyone know or have a theory about WHY it is so hard to gain muscle post-benzos?  I still have a hard time understanding the GABA situation (it seems some say it has to do with the GABA receptors and some say it has to do with the GABA neurotransmitter)...but regardless of how this all works, I cannot figure out why it would affect our ability to build muscle.  It is a mystery I would like to understand!

Any theories or thoughts (Keryn? :)

~Leena

[6d...]
I still have a hard time understanding the GABA situation (it seems some say it has to do with the GABA receptors and some say it has to do with the GABA neurotransmitter)

I don't understand it completely Leena,

Honestly, I really haven't studied on the process much.. I know what GABA and Neurotransmitters' are, but it's a mystery to me too.. I think when it comes to Benzos, we all vary and it's hard to stick a theory with it.

I don't think one single person in this world truly knows, but know you will be ok.

Ashton is who I resort too, she's a good mentor in Benzo withdrawal, but that's about it..

I have respect for her, but she don't even know everything about Benzo's and so on .. it's impossible.. because everyone varies.. so how can it be explained?

It really can't, but in the long run it works out.

Keryn.

• 3 months later...
Leena, I shouldn't be a bit surprised that when I searched the word "muscles" on BenzoBuddies it went to a thread you'd started. Though, of course, I'm trying to figure out what, if anything, can be done for muscle pain.

I hear you, Vita!  Though...I want to encourage you...mine is slowly getting better and better.  I know that you had issues before benzos...and I may have lasting issues, but most days now I am not so focused on trying to figure out what I can do about my pain.  I NEVER thought I would be able to say this.  Honestly.  Some of it may be that I am just getting used to it and bearing it better.  I don't know.

But I do think I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel....

I hope that you are not getting the "yuck" that your husband has?

Love,

Leena

My husband's "yuck" turned out to be bronchitis. Yesterday, I was sure I was coming down with the flu. I had fever and was feeling really shaky. But it went away after a couple of hours. The muscle pain is my same old, same old crap I've been dealing with since 1994, except severely ramped up by the withdrawal syndrome.