titration failure, what went wrong?

[no...]

My 2 cents is that you have to be very patient and careful about the preparation of the suspension and draw-off of the throw-away volume.  You need to ensure the medication is properly distributed in the suspension.  I used a bullet blender to distribute the valium using about 10 seconds of agitation.  Then, immediately before drawing off the throwaway volume I would shake the suspension up and down to ensure complete distribution of medicine in the solution.  Some people make the mistake of swirling the solution and that concentrates the particles in the vortex of swirling liquid at the center of the container.  If one does that and then draws liquid from the outer edge of the container, the taper has a good chance of being significantly inaccurate.  Anyway, these are some of the things I learned that were important in accurate tapering.

But if you start with an effective solvent, like alcohol, propylene glycol, or full-fat milk, the med will dissolve and you will have a uniform, stable, evenly distributed solution.

Yes.  I'm sorry everyone I was talking about a pure water suspension, not a solution using vodka or another solvent to dissolve.  The throwaway was when I was using 2.5 mg in 250 ml of pure water and was removing a little bit from the solution.  As I got lower, I just drew off the required dosage but wasn't sure how long the suspension would last so I made new suspensions every two or three days.  Anyway, I understand you are talking about titrating a solution based on dissolving the benzo whereas I was talking about a suspension with fine particles of benzo in water.  Just a final note, the following quote is from the "Titration instructions - Version 6th Oct. 07" thread that appears in bold near the top of the titration page:  "Refer to your titration table to see how much of this liquid you should take as part of your daily dose, and dispose of the remainder."  I believe in this case the person was using milk as the liquid.

Builder do u have proof that milk forms a solution? Yes V is fat soluble but has it been proven with milk? I ask bc I started milk two weeks ago and am questioning it myself and want some clarity on this.

I have posted tech articles numerous times to prove it. 

Benzos are lipid-soluble.  Lipid means fat.  Milk is full of fat.  That means benzos dissolve in milk.

The most important proof is that hundreds of folks have successfully tapered off using milk.  Before we all learned about Rx liquid, vodka solution, propylene glycol etc, milk was the "go to" liquid for dissolving benzos.

"All benzodiazepines are:

Highly lipid soluble"

http://www.ld99.com/reference/notes/text/Benzodiazepine.html

My 2 cents is that you have to be very patient and careful about the preparation of the suspension and draw-off of the throw-away volume.  You need to ensure the medication is properly distributed in the suspension.  I used a bullet blender to distribute the valium using about 10 seconds of agitation.  Then, immediately before drawing off the throwaway volume I would shake the suspension up and down to ensure complete distribution of medicine in the solution.  Some people make the mistake of swirling the solution and that concentrates the particles in the vortex of swirling liquid at the center of the container.  If one does that and then draws liquid from the outer edge of the container, the taper has a good chance of being significantly inaccurate.  Anyway, these are some of the things I learned that were important in accurate tapering.

Hum this is news to me......throw away volume? I'm doing this with my wife and nothing is thrown away. The bulk of her dose is in pill form and her liquid taper portion is drawn from a batch. Over shaking causes aeration

I take out my cut and throw it away and drink the rest.  That's what BDR and Jana told me to do. I don't think there is any problem with shaking or swirling. I do let things settle before taking out my cut amount, though.

Jenny

You were spot on here. I did feel humiliated and had to take a break from the site. Thank you so much for your support. I have stayed at the same dose and am ready to consider my next steps now. XOXO

Maybe the OP read the sarcastic reply from one person in particular too many times - which was mean and condescending and decided the emotions were too raw.  I too have had responses from one person in particular on this board who was quite curt.  I'm new to this whole process and when people who are new to this feel humiliated it's easy for us to go inward.

To the OP, there are good people on here, so reach out again and you will find them.

:)

Thank you. I have stayed at the same dose since this incident, but ready to do something...just not sure what yet.

There is a very big problem on here when going to liquid. I would say that 9 out of 10 BBs report increased side effects when switching to liquid. This should not be so because it is the same dosage. But, unfortunately it is. When I switched to liquid in my taper, I made an up dose to compensate for this. I still had a few side effects but not too bad. Hope this was helpful.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I feel so much better having read yours and a few others today.

Well I'm sorry. People should be nicer and I hope you get some answers. All I can say is that I've been a nurse for 7 years and been in behavioral health for 8 months and you know more than me so you aren't stupid.(Or if you, I'm very very stupid, so you are still smarter than me!)  This is very specific knowledge and people should be kind, supportive, helpful or just not say anything.

Good luck :)

Thank you.

Noelle, I'm too new at this to offer any help but I'll be praying for you to get your titration right and that your withdrawal symptoms are zero or minimal.  I'm sorry that some people are mean or sarcastic.  That's one reason why I hesitate to join some sites and post.  I asked for a titration schedule but have yet to receive it.  So I'm still cutting until I get my dose down to where I can't cut anymore.

Hugs, DD1