Get Tested for the MTHFR Genetic Mutation!!!! It changed my life and anxiety!

[So...]

i wish i could take supplements! being compound heterogenous for 677 and 1298 i need to take the methylated but i cannot. tried ashawaganha, mass withdrawal too, but someone i know here takes it. my functional doctor told me not to within 12 hours of my benzo dose so apparently it affects gaba and my gaba did not like it!  :laugh: everyone is so different with supplements. i wish i could take them. :(

i wish i could take supplements! being compound heterogenous for 677 and 1298 i need to take the methylated but i cannot. tried ashawaganha, mass withdrawal too, but someone i know here takes it. my functional doctor told me not to within 12 hours of my benzo dose so apparently it affects gaba and my gaba did not like it!  :laugh: everyone is so different with supplements. i wish i could take them. :(

I'm so sorry I love adaptogenic herbs like Ashwaganda and Lions Mane!!

I'm so sorry I love adaptogenic herbs like Ashwaganda and Lions Mane!!

yea i wish i could take herbs. but my brain wont allow it at this point. i wanted to start holy basil until i found out on the do not take list when in benzo withdrawal. and my functional doctor told me to take the ash in the morning as far away from my klonopin as possible, but now thats not even a possibiity because i have to mutli dose. (thats when i was taking all my k at night) so oh well, one day.

Not sure if you're genetics look anything like this... I seem to have a lot for some reason.

Here are your homozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):

COMT V158M

COMT H62H

MAO-A R297R

MTRR A66G

Here are your heterozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):

VDR Bsm

VDR Taq

ACAT1-02

MTR A2756G

MTRR A664A

BHMT-02

BHMT-08

AHCY-01

AHCY-19

CBS A360A

MTHFR A1298C (GT ALLELE) whatever that means

Not sure if you're genetics look anything like this... I seem to have a lot for some reason.

Here are your homozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):

COMT V158M

COMT H62H

MAO-A R297R

MTRR A66G

Here are your heterozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):

VDR Bsm

VDR Taq

ACAT1-02

MTR A2756G

MTRR A664A

BHMT-02

BHMT-08

AHCY-01

AHCY-19

CBS A360A

MTHFR A1298C (GT ALLELE) whatever that means

theres a mthfr thread somewhere. some of those snps mean you can a fast metabolizer or slow metabolize of benzo. not sure which ones though.

;)  I had a gene test done before starting tapering off XanaxXR but I don't know what it was called.  All I know is my doctor swabbed both sides of my mouth and sent the swab to a lab.  I had to have this done because I was taking too high a dose of XanaxXR for my age and needed to taper off.  Because the XR couldn't be compounded and they would have to use another benzo to take it's place, my doctor wanted to make sure diaziapam was safe for me to take.  Good thing I took the test because the test came back showing Valium was on the Do Not Take side.  So my psych doc switched me over to klonopin and we took it from there.

I wonder if this is the same test you are talking about.  Supposedly it's only to show what psychriatic meds are good or bad for a person to take.

litlmom

I also have the MTHFR mutation and believe that the supplement I was prescribed to address it has helped tremendously. I'd been on antidepressants for many years but weaned off completely 2.5 years ago with no reoccurrence of depression. The doctors believe that the MTHFR mutation and gluten intolerance likely contributed to the depressive symptoms. The last leg of the withdrawal journey for me is getting off Xanax and I'm making progress on that!  As I look back on the years of being prescribed meds, I can't recall what it's like to not be on them. I'll be curious to see how I do when it's just me--and not me on meds.

Are you taking the B Vitamin from Seeking Health? Dr Ben Lynch is the one I was following at the time. He's supposedly one of the leading experts on the subject. I may try again soon. They felt alright at first then turned but it might have been a Herxheimer reaction. Or I was over methylating.

I am actually taking methylife methylfolate from Amazon but following the protocol that Ben Lynch laid out and started taking the other supplements he recommends in order to avoid negative effects from the methylfolate and methylb12 so I am taking electrolytes, zinc, magnesium, B6 and then the liposomal glutathione because I have a hard time detoxing and my liver is congested, I also do cupping and acupuncture regularly and really find it helps

Be aware of B6. It is processed in liver and can become problematic if gets to toxic levels.

What does of methylfolate did you start with and how did you increase?

Hey there I started at 1 mg and then 2 mg and I felt nothing so went up to 7 for a few days and then after reading more about how terrible of a methylator a person with my type of mutation is I started taking 15 mg and within three days boom no more panic! It was a godsend and I highly recommend trying it, I was scared of trying stuff honestly thinking my brain was broken but now all I have left to beat hopefully is some cog fog, blunted emotions and fatigue, which sucks but the anxiety is what I thought could never get better. Good luck!

I also have the MTHFR mutation and believe that the supplement I was prescribed to address it has helped tremendously. I'd been on antidepressants for many years but weaned off completely 2.5 years ago with no reoccurrence of depression. The doctors believe that the MTHFR mutation and gluten intolerance likely contributed to the depressive symptoms. The last leg of the withdrawal journey for me is getting off Xanax and I'm making progress on that!  As I look back on the years of being prescribed meds, I can't recall what it's like to not be on them. I'll be curious to see how I do when it's just me--and not me on meds.

That is so great to hear it helped you too! Honestly genetic testing is so cool and fascinating to me, our genes don't have to be our destiny you know we can help. I feel like I won't truly start to feel better until I am off this stuff at least in terms of fatigue, it just zaps my energy right now, the phsycal withdrawal symptoms of fatigue and cog fog is truly the worst!

Songbird, I did want to tell you that 23 and me does not test for this at this time and nothing pending that will change this any time soon.

Songbird, I did want to tell you that 23 and me does not test for this at this time and nothing pending that will change this any time soon.

You can get the date fed into genetic genie and they can read it for you but I got tested with a blood test from my doctor and also a dr/naturopath because I wanted to ensure that I was in fact compound heterozygous. I'm sorry what do you mean by nothing pending that will change this, healing from benzos?