Class Action starting in Canada

[Qu...]

I just re-read the back of the letter and will reproduce below.  It is important information for anyone forced to cold-turkey (? post- CPSBC published guidelines- 2012 and forward?), living in BC, that is considering filing a complaint with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC: 

Of course inappropriate prescribing should not result in a patient being "forced into a rapid taper" and should never result in the patient being told that they have to go "cold turkey".  If you read our documents you will see that we advise cautious and slow tapering in order to minimize the side effects, and risks, of abrupt tapering.  If a physician does not provide this kind of appropriate care, we expect to hear about it and will investigate it as the complaint matter.

Now *that's* making a pretty strong statement, bohno!  :thumbsup:

One of the more outstanding disciplined psychiatrists on the list was/is a patient in our office.  He was on a cocktail of drugs for "Bipolar Disorder".  He once offered to give me a ride home. I like to think I would not have accepted, had I not been on benzos myself.  Luckily, he could not find his car. :(

:laugh::D:laugh:

It's a pretty clear statement on the part of the CPSBC isn't it abes?  Hopefully helpful info for some people.

As for the second thing you quoted... :laugh:  A little bit funny now.  Thanks for laughing!

You two Crazy Chicks are great -- "bohno" and "abes"!  :laugh:

On a serious note, benzohno, I applaud all of your great efforts to speak up on these matters. You're a courageous gal!

LOL Laps  :D

And thank you for the vote of confidence! 

Honestly, my actions have stemmed more from anger, obsession, rage and agitation than courage.  Those feelings have grudgingly propelled me forward to do the things I do, just as a way to deal with such horrible feelings, though I don't express those feelings or vent in my letters.  What I've been doing is productive, but I pay a price and think it may have become another painful symptom that I am grappling with.  But, I'm okay if it reads as courage. 

Now for two days, I can't stop thinking about filing a complaint against the psychiatrist.  I get something in my head and can't let it go and it's driving me crazy.  I feel like I've vomited all over this thread, but I am struggling with this, I guess out loud here in the wrong place.  I wonder if "well" for me will include stopping this, letting this go, letting myself off the hook or will I regret that I didn't do everything I could.  It's so hard.

I don't think you've "vomited all over" this thread at all, benzohno! You've provided some excellent, useful, interesting information that others can learn from. All good!

As far as your personal dilemma goes, I guess you have to figure out what would be most helpful for you. If you're not sure, give it time. Don't make a decision. Reflect a bit. Make a list of pros and cons. See what you think.

Thank you Lapis,

I wish it was a public dilemma and someone else could tell me the right answer or I could somehow foresee the outcome before deciding.  I could reflect better if I could first just stop thinking about this for a minute.  I  was able to put it out of my mind for years, and now this.  It doesn't help that I called the psychiatrist office to inquire about my records and she has not called back and isn' t answering the phone, so I've been waiting for the phone for hours.  It was hard just to think about calling.  I thought, just get the records and leave it at that for now.  I don't even every want to look at them, but how do you photocopy stuff without looking at it?  :(

He may not get disciplined for prescribing practices, but he did some lying (ass-covering) to my GP and CPP that I can prove, but I don't know if that's enough for disciplinary action.

I know nothing about forgiveness.

Sorry, just thinking out loud and in public here.

I think the thing that would be hardest would be to have people scrutinize you and your records. Just try to imagine the process that you'd need to go through in order to resolve this issue and see if the stress would be okay for you. Maybe you'd feel better because you'd have done all you could to reach your goal. But what if it creates new, worse stressors?

Can you consult with anyone who is knowledgeable about such things?

These are definitely things I need to consider...scrutinizing me records.  Yeesh.  There is no doubt I am currently experiencing new and worse stress even just thinking about the process.  That would be a deciding factor for most people, or maybe THE deciding factor.  It should be so easy.  If something feels bad, then you don't do it.  I've never abided by that, always pushing.  I keep trying to stop and ask myself what is best for me, but the answer is never clear, because either way I suffer.  Part of me just wants this all behind me and I know I have the power to put it there, if I choose. 

I don't know anyone knowledgeable about these things.  I wonder why is no one else on here struggling with this?  I have looked.

I think most people would rather not face the added stress, so perhaps that's why you're not finding a lot of people. However, there are many who think about lawsuits -- at least, I've seen many posts about that -- but I think it's mostly the Americans. Canadians are less litigious. I know a doctor who moved down to the States many years ago, but I think he had to spend a lot of money on insurance to protect himself from lawsuits. In the end, I don't know if he was happier down there. He passed away many years ago, so I never got a chance to ask him.

Anyway, back to you: I think it's a good idea to talk about it more -- especially with someone who knows you well. Perhaps they can give you the kind of sounding board and advice that you need. Maybe you can direct that anger in another way that will be productive and useful to you, yet will not cause you undue stress. Take care of your soul. You have to do that. Anyone against whom you bring a complaint will try to vigorously defend himself. It might be an ugly process.

Are you up for that?

I really feel for you Benzohno. The medical malpractice lawyer I consulted suggested filing a complaint with the college of physicians and surgeons but I decided not to go that route.

I know other people who have (filed complaints) and regretted it, one friend in particular because she feels that she's been blacklisted by the medical community.

Maybe take your time and think it over more. I don't know what the statute of limitations is but surely you have the luxury of time.

Chin xx

Anyway, back to you: I think it's a good idea to talk about it more -- especially with someone who knows you well. Perhaps they can give you the kind of sounding board and advice that you need. Maybe you can direct that anger in another way that will be productive and useful to you, yet will not cause you undue stress. Take care of your soul. You have to do that. Anyone against whom you bring a complaint will try to vigorously defend himself. It might be an ugly process.

Are you up for that?

Thank you Lapis-lady.  You are a nice lady.  That is true, he did already show he would vigorously defend himself, years ago, when I sent him the first letter, which was an angry one, and that is when he lied to my GP.  She showed me the letter.  So he was not above lying.  And then I am supposed to just trust that other doctors/strangers will look out for me and my best interest in the complaint process?

"Take care of your soul."  :'(  Thank you.  I keep seeing things lately on here about taking care of ourselves, and have been thinking about what this really means for me.  I look at my paintings and drawings and hope I can connect with that soon, it might help and bring some balance. 

I really feel for you Benzohno. The medical malpractice lawyer I consulted suggested filing a complaint with the college of physicians and surgeons but I decided not to go that route.

I know other people who have (filed complaints) and regretted it, one friend in particular because she feels that she's been blacklisted by the medical community.

Maybe take your time and think it over more. I don't know what the statute of limitations is but surely you have the luxury of time.

Chin xx

Thank you Chin for coming by. Hearing about yours and others' experience helps me mull through this.  Suddenly it started to feel very urgent.  I get feeling  better physically and then my brain starts looping painfully and I feel pressure that does not really exist.  Doctors in BC have to hang onto their records for 16 years after the last visit, so in that way, there is no rush, but the psychiatrist could retire soon.  I'm not sure exactly how old he is.    The office didn't call back, so now I have to deal with that tomorrow.  I'm hating this very much already.  Writing/sending letters to strangers is much easier, but I have to agree with Dr. Malcolm Lader, "Sometimes it feels good to stop banging your head against the wall."  I'm definitely going to think this over more.

Thank you both very much.  :smitten:

My dear benzohno,

It sounds painful! No banging of the head, please! You need that ol' noggin'!

In my case, I'm uncomfortable with antagonism. I think the best use of this anger and frustration might be public education, figuring out how to change policies and/or helping others (individuals or groups). There are ways to use that energy in a positive way. You're smart and capable. You can undoubtedly do something that will help others. But yes, definitely take care of your soul, because no one else will. Fighting can get ugly, and it might be very painful, and I'd hate to hear that you got caught up in some nasty fight.  :( :( :(

I meant to tell you that you're a nice lady too Chin!  :)  :smitten:

I've never been comfortable with antagonism either Lapis, but this whole thing has really sent me into foreign territory in myself.  I was never an activist letter-writer.  It actually fills me with trepidation when I receive a reply, which rarely happens.  The meanest thing anyone ever said was, "Take me off your distribution list" (What, no "Please"?! :o) and "I think you just sent me spam by mistake", which is not so bad, but I can hardly handle that.  I appreciate the ideas.  I'm not good in front of people or public speaking, but one-on-one or quietly on my own I'm good.  There must be a more comfortable way for me to channel this awful "energy" productively and positively.  It has become more manageable overall, but still it might be necessary for me to find another way.  Even the postering can be painful, depending on how far "I" (that thing inside me) take it.  It may not be enough for me to just revel in the peace and happiness when this is over. 

There was a small organization here that helped psychiatric "consumers" and survivors, but they recently had government funding removed and shut down after decades.  I had hoped they'd still be around when I was ready.  Maybe they'll be resurrected by the times I'm better.

I'm realizing this avenue we've been speaking of is a FIGHT.  It's different than what I've been doing.  It is personal and it feels ugly already.  Yeah, I don't know if I'm up for this.

Laps:  :-*

Office never returned call.  Don't know if I'll try again.  I may have already been blacklisted  ???  Still, I am feeling a bit better about it all today.  Thanks again both.

Oh, I'm so glad you're feeling better, benzohno! Take a few days to reflect. There's no rush right now. Just allow it some time, and maybe focus on a fun project for a few days. Got any cool crafts on the go? Or a good book? Or some other distraction? Focus on soothing your soul. Then see what you think.

Sending hugs out west!

:hug:

You two Crazy Chicks are great -- "bohno" and "abes":laugh:

On a serious note, benzohno, I applaud all of your great efforts to speak up on these matters. You're a courageous gal!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Bohno & Abes Incorporated.  Love it!  :D 

Bohno, I'm inclined to agree with Lap about giving it some real thought before proceeding.  At this point in time, I think your health takes precedence above all and, yes, it could get a bit ugly and stressful.  You could call the College anonymously and discuss it with them, the process, etc, and see if it gives you a better feel for what's involved.  Tribunal attendance?  One thing worth mentioning which you also may want to look into.  I knew of someone living in Ontario at one time (many years ago) who filed a complaint.  At that time it was all detailed online (bar their actual names), all the meds they were on plus some very personal details.  Don't know if this is still the case but ... Ouch!  :o

Oh, I'm so glad you're feeling better, benzohno! Take a few days to reflect. There's no rush right now. Just allow it some time, and maybe focus on a fun project for a few days. Got any cool crafts on the go? Or a good book? Or some other distraction? Focus on soothing your soul. Then see what you think.

Sending hugs out west!

:hug:

You’re quite right Laps, I’ve been thinking about trying to revisit the crafts I have on the go. I’ve never been one to start and not finish something, but it’s like that now.  Months go by where I am just not interested in that or reading books.  I was a voracious reader.  It’s hard when the desire and ability for these things is intermittent, but this is the direction in which I think I need to perhaps coax myself.  Crafts are definitely more doable now than painting/drawing.  I do think I need to soothe my soul.   

:smitten:

You two Crazy Chicks are great -- "bohno" and "abes":laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Bohno & Abes Incorporated.  Love it!  :D 

Bohno, I'm inclined to agree with Lap about giving it some real thought before proceeding.  At this point in time, I think your health takes precedence above all and, yes, it could get a bit ugly and stressful.  You could call the College anonymously and discuss it with them, the process, etc, and see if it gives you a better feel for what's involved.  Tribunal attendance?  One thing worth mentioning which you also may want to look into.  I knew of someone living in Ontario at one time (many years ago) who filed a complaint.  At that time it was all detailed online (bar their actual names), all the meds they were on plus some very personal details.  Don't know if this is still the case but ... Ouch!  :o

LOL  :D

Dear Abes,  Thank you for your thoughts on this.  It’s helped so much to have everyone tell me their impression of the process and things you’ve heard.  I think my idea of  the complaint process was somewhat unrealistic.  In trying to work this out on my own with Mr. Bohno (who never tells me what to do, but finally said last night that he wouldn’t go through with it) and the CPSBC website info and the little I saw on BB, trying to play out how the process would go in my head never included words you have all used, like: Tribunal attendance (does it really say that abes?  I can’t even go back and look at the document now, too traumatic.), scrutinize you and your records, personal details, vigorously defend, ugly, stressful, blacklisted, fight, hurt...I vaguely recollect reading something to the effect that if the process went far enough, one might have to appear before the committee (is that tribunal attendance?), but I somehow discounted that possibility in my mind, but that is a very real possibility and something I definitely could NOT do. 

Thank you all for the reality check and for looking out for me.  I think I thought the hardest part would be writing the complaint letter and getting documents together, which clearly is insurmountable to me in itself, (can’t call doctor’s office without feeling traumatized-same secretary, same voice, aaahh), but that may be only the beginning.  One cannot fumble one's way through such a process. 

For anyone who is going to go through this process, I think that is a very good suggestion abes, to call the College and discuss it with them to get a better idea.

I’m going to go now and figure out how to  soothe my soul. 

:smitten:

the little I saw on BB, trying to play out how the process would go in my head never included words you have all used, like: Tribunal attendance (does it really say that abes?  I can’t even go back and look at the document now, too traumatic.), scrutinize you and your records, personal details, vigorously defend, ugly, stressful, blacklisted, fight, hurt...I vaguely recollect reading something to the effect that if the process went far enough, one might have to appear before the committee (is that tribunal attendance?), but I somehow discounted that possibility in my mind, but that is a very real possibility and something I definitely could NOT do. 

Well now that you ask, no, Bohno, it actually says no such thing ... now that I've taken a little time to do some Googling for you! :laugh:  Sorry for scaring you, I was only thinking aloud at the time.

So here's from their website.  It seems a fairly benign process actually.  This part though is very worrying, they're going to be looking out for their self-interests.  I also don't see any note of statute of limitations.

Who reviews the complaint file?

https://www.cpsbc.ca/for-public/faqs/complaints-process

Once the College has received all the relevant information from the patient, the physician(s) involved, the hospital(s), and/or other physicians, the complete file will be reviewed by one of the College's staff physicians who summarizes the complaint and provides that summary, along with all relevant documents, to the College’s Inquiry Committee.

The Inquiry Committee includes both physician and public members of the College Board and other appointed physicians or non-physicians with specific areas of expertise. The committee is divided into different panels as a way of reviewing complaints more efficiently. The committee members review and discuss all of the information pertinent to the complaint. In some circumstances, they may also choose to conduct interviews with the physician(s) involved in the patient’s care, as well as seek input from independent experts. Based on its investigation, the Inquiry Committee then renders a decision.

Thank you Abes! No, you didn't scare me.  I was already scared.  ;D

That is so kind of you to research this for me further. :smitten:  I read what you found and it only confirms for me that this sounds like an additional nightmare and I am even more sure today that  I am not up for this.  Hopefully others who have a better chance of succeeding in the complaint process (i.e made to cold-turkey/abruptly taper, with a shorter, more straightforward history, that could not be twisted and used against them) will see this process as more in their favour from the start.  I see it stacked against me from the get go and  I can't subject myself to another ugly battle (in addition to w/d and recovery) at this point.

It's also occurred to me that going through with this may even undermine any effect the letters I have sent may have had, should the two be connected, though I never used my full name.

I just want them to stop hurting people.  It is so unnecessary.  This shouldn't still be happening and I just wish I could do more until it stops, which I'm sure it will eventually, whether I file a complaint or not, which I most likely won't.  I know we're all doing what we can when we can in the meantime.

Thanks again Abes. :thumbsup:

Yes, I read the details that abcd shared, and I'd be steering clear of such a stressful process. I agree with your decision on this one, benzohno. Of course, I understand your frustration -- we all do -- but you need to save your soul for other things.

Perhaps the universe will make the pathway clear for us all to do something at some point soon. For now, though, it's craft time...or music time....or walk time....or stare at the ocean and mountains time (because you can!).  :)

Dear Lapis, you are so right.  That is exactly what I've been doing these last many days- staring at the ocean and mountains, the fire, the snow.  I stretch. I stare.  Then I do it some more.  I walk on better days.  My brain, I think wants to rest quietly, if only I or >:D this guy would let it do that more.  Years of angry energy has been hard.  I didn't think the anger sx would go on for so long, but I feel like I have a little more choice now whether I want to be in that place or not.  Yesterday I finally baked the (edit- gluten-free) coffee cake I'd been thinking about for weeks and that was good in many ways.

Thank you always for your kind and wise support.  :smitten: