MIA: Withdrawal From Benzodiazepines

[Te...]

Oh, he isn't writing a book about benzos.  :'(

Here was his response:

Thank you for writing and for your kind words about MIA, and my books.

I am not writing a book about benzodiazepines, although I think the tragedy and suffering you have experienced--the protracted withdrawal symptoms--needs to be widely known and publicized. Doctors of course don't want to believe that such a thing exists, even though there are so many personal accounts of such suffering (and a biological explanation for why benzodiazepine exposure may have this effect.) I think the simplest explanation is that the benzodiazepine use impairs the brain's normal mechanism for regulating neuronal activity, and thus after withdrawal, this leads to unregulated firing of neurons, which leads to all sorts of problems.

And the medical community hasn't even really investigated how long this can be persist, what can be done to help people going through it, and so forth.

Thank you again for your kind words. And I hope that you find some relief from your post-benzodiazepine symptoms and struggles.

All the best,

Bob Whitaker

Darn! So there's no clarity as to why he's gathering the studies? In the letter you shared, he doesn't refer to it at all.

No, nothing at all. I didn't feel I should pry, but I sure would like to! Maybe donnieogik will find out!

This takes the air out of my balloon! But maybe there's something else opening. "When a door closes" sort of situation. We have to keep trying!

Yes, benzohno, it's a letdown!

Yes, maybe we can do the "Sound of Music" thing where the Mother Superior says something about a door closing here but a window opens there!

I doubt it would be prying to ask about the reason for the public call for submissions to the database of benzo articles. Personally, I think it should have been made clear in the intro to the article. I think they should have stated something like, "We're gathering benzodiazepine studies for the purpose of xxxxxx, and we'd appreciate your help."

My favorite movie!! I had to laugh. I remember that part in the movie!

I think I'll ask him. You're right, Lapis, it should have been made clear in the article. We're left wondering!

Well, I just asked him. I'll see what he says.

Woohoo! Yay Terry! By the way, it's my fave movie too. I can recite most of the lines -- for better or worse! Can you imagine all the brain space that's taken up by having memorized most of the lines of that movie? Crazy! I still love it, though. Gotta love Julie with her pitch-perfect voice.

I'm still waiting for God to open the darn window for me! The Mother Superior said it would happen, and I believed her.  :D

http://emilysquotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/EmilysQuotes.Com-God-door-window-inspirational-positive-The-Sound-of-Music-movie.jpg

Here is his answer:

We are looking for study citations on benzodiazepine withdrawal just because we are trying to provide a review of such studies in the research literature (and also to show how woefully incomplete the literature is.)

And you are right: It is astonishing this has been going on for 50 years, with no end in sight.

Best

Bob

So there you have it. I'm glad he responded and is reviewing the studies. Hope he finds some interesting stuff!

Even if he's not writing a book, he's contributing something important to the issue. I'm still hoping he might be considering a book -- or even part thereof -- on the topic of benzodiazepine withdrawal. Wishful thinking, of course!

Thank you for getting to the bottom of this Terry.  The more information out there the better...more for someone to work with in future, but I too want a book by someone like Robert Whitaker, now!