Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Neurontin/gabapentin

[...]

My doc wants me to try Neurontin (gabapentin) for sleep and anxiety. Is this ok to take during a benzo taper? Can I just take one dose at night? He wants me to take it 3 times a day. Has anyone had experience with this or have a link to info on it. I thought there was a link to meds that Ashton found sometimes useful, but I can't find that info now. Thank you.

[1d...]
I took 300 mg at night, and it prolonged my sleep by an hour or two.  I only rarely took it during the day - maybe it helped a little with anxiety.  Hard to know.  It did make me feel a little relaxed, even just a little euphoric when I took it during the day.  Like all meds, I'd use as little as possible to make your life bearable (if it isn't currently bearable).  If you're doing OK, then I wouldn't add it.

[1d...]
I was told to taper up and taper down neurontin (although I didn't do that since my 300 mg dose was pretty low).  So I assume that it's not wise to vary the dose wildly.  I (almost) only took it for sleep and it worked for me to do it that way.  If you're trying to control anxiety throughout the day, it would probably work best to take a steady dose a few times a day.  Just depends on what you need the drug to do for you.

I took it for three days and then I threw it out.  It did reduce my anxiety and helped me sleep but I worried about what it was doing that would facilitate that effect.  No-one really knows how it works on the GABA receptors.  If you can do without it, you will avoid having to come off another med.

My doc wants me to try Neurontin (gabapentin) for sleep and anxiety. Is this ok to take during a benzo taper? Can I just take one dose at night? He wants me to take it 3 times a day. Has anyone had experience with this or have a link to info on it. I thought there was a link to meds that Ashton found sometimes useful, but I can't find that info now. Thank you.

I was put on 3000 mg in detox. It helped with anxiety/panic/fear. I eventually went to 2400 mg after the acute period. It took another 6 months to get down to 1800 mg. It can cause benzo like withdrawal symptoms. It did for me. It is three years down the line now and I am still on 1800 mg. I only take it so I will not go into withdrawal. If you can get relief from just 300 mg, that sounds like a doable amount to have to taper from at some point.

Hi, i took a lot of gpn post accident, then as needed for nerve pain... i am now trying it for stomach pain, which could be many things... -it seems to be working well at 300mg, but i have noticed it seems very much stronger when combined with a benzo... kinda like when i would take 2400mg as a one off, some yrs ago...

Ps, a few of us have been discussing it in the "opiates" thread...