Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

experiences with celexa?

[te...]

Hi buddies,

I am coming to ask if anyone has been on celexa (or citalopram) and what your experiences were.

A few years ago, I had success with zoloft. No major side effects, and I eventually tapered off about 1.5 years with no problem. When my issues all started this year (insomnia which I used benzos for VERY briefly, then had some withdrawal from the benzos) my doctor put me back on zoloft, and this time was horrible. I feel like it made everything worse! My new doctor tapered me off right away.

I have been trying to battle my insomnia, anxiety, and depression, with every "natural," "alternative," and therapeutic way you can think of. In therapy, regular meditation, am a runner, do lots of walks, acupuncture, take lots of vitamins, etc etc. My insomnia has made some progress I guess, but I still have some sleepless nights and my sleeping pattern is a mess. This sometimes exacerbates my anxiety, which is always there, and now I'm slipping into what feels like depression. There are so many positive, exciting life events happening and I feel like I can't enjoy them because of how I feel.

I know many people are against antidepressants, or any kinds of meds. I respect that, and feel that they should be a last resort. However, I'm at my wit's end. I have never felt this bad, for this long, EVER. I'm sure the benzo withdrawal had something to do with it - but it's been 4 months. And I know it's not THAT long, but I seriously took benzos for less than a week. I feel like I should be almost done with this. Anyway, since it's been a few months since I've tapered off zoloft, is it okay to try something new with the celexa? I am just worried it might make things worse before they get better.

My doctor prescribed me 10mg, which I know is less that typical therapeutic dose.

Any feedback and experiences is much appreciated! :) I am still on the fence but believe i need to give it a shot.

Hi, I was on celexa for about 6 years, before and during my withdrawal.  It seemed to help with my moderate depression, but it had a major side effect, which was that I gained quite a lot of weight, which I'm still trying to lose.  So, it's something I wouldn't take unless I absolutely had to.