Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

How long can I use pain killer for tooth abscess

[Vm...]

hey guys,

I have a tooth abscess and will most likely have to get the tooth pulled. I know dentists prescribe Tylenol 3's. If I can, I will avoid taking it all together but if the pain gets bad enough, how many consecutive days can I take it? I also take klonopin. Would there be any interactions with the combined medications: Klonopin, Tylenol 3 (oxycodone), novocane injection and augmentin (the antibiotic I am going to ask for).

hey guys,

I have a tooth abscess and will most likely have to get the tooth pulled. I know dentists prescribe Tylenol 3's. If I can, I will avoid taking it all together but if the pain gets bad enough, how many consecutive days can I take it? I also take klonopin. Would there be any interactions with the combined medications: Klonopin, Tylenol 3 (oxycodone), novocane injection and augmentin (the antibiotic I am going to ask for).

Hello Vmalone,

I've had a few surgeries during my entire benzo saga, both while I was taking a benzo and during the taper and recovery process.  I don't think there is any concrete time limit on taking an opioid after a medical procedure.  I took oxycodone after all my surgeries in very small doses on just a few occasions. Actually, when I had surgery for dental implants I didn't take any pain meds at all, ice seemed to be the most helpful.  In other words, make yourself comfortable after the procedure and honestly you shouldn't need pain meds for very long.

By the way,  many people feel that the epinephrine in novacaine causes an uptick in anxiety and symptoms. I have always been sensitive to epi, even before benzos, so I have all dental work done without it using carbocaine.

Good luck with the dentist.

pianogirl  :smitten:

It is very likely that you can get by on the lesser pain killers, and I would do so if at all possible. I've been through a hellacious summer with tooth pain, removals, root canal, etc.. and all kinds of different pain killers. What I have found (for ME) is that both anti-inflammatories, and opiods can very often make the pain WORSE after extended use. Recovering from the tooth removal wasn't actually that bad.

I've never seen much interaction between oxycodone and a benzo, but be aware that if you mix the two, and take a good amount, it can get dangerous (basically your body forgets to breathe). Another good reason to avoid opioids if at all possible.

Problem solved. Talking antibiotics for the infection. The abscess is what was unbearable. Ill just tough out the pain when the infection is gone and the tooth is extracted. Thanks for the replies. Btw augmentin is a great antibiotic...for me at least..feeling releif already!