Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Advice about Paxil

[Mi...]

So I have been off of Clonazepam for 4+ months now.  I have started to wean off of Paxil which I have been on for over 10 years.  The advice I am seeking has to do with others' experiences of withdrawing from Paxil after the benzo withdrawal.  Anyone know what a good taper rate would be?  Is it too soon to take on this taper?  It seems that most people on here suggest not taking any other psych meds to allow healing.

Hi Mikey,

I would suggest joint the Surviving Antidepressants forum for AD support. It's a wonderful site, much like this one.

It is recommended that you don't start another taper until you have stabilized from the previous one, that could take months or years. Allowing your body to heal from one taper, before starting the next, will help set you up for success.

If/when you decide to taper, it is recommended that you go slow...10% every 2-4 weeks.

We have a sticky note in 'Other Medications' you may want to read that pertains to AD tapering.

Keep us posted  :)

I would definitely take it as slow as possible.  I had to come off of Paxil and Klonopin the same day (due to the fact that Paxil and all antidepressants caused Cervical Dystonia in me).  However, it is recommended that you stabilize once you're off of benzos before attempting a Paxil taper.  My case is somewhat unusual since the Cervical Dystonia was so painful that I had no choice.  I am now 14 months off of Klonopin and Paxil but am still having anxiety and sleep issues (although I have seen some improvement).