Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Surgery/biopsy Friday, met with Anesthesiologist today, need opinions

[40...]

[40...]

He said I needed Fentanyl, along with Propofol.  I had Propofol 2 weeks ago for a colonoscopy and had no problems.  They are doing a biopsy of nodes in my peritoneal cavity that are causing me pain.  He said Propofol is not enough for this laparascopic surgery.  I know Fentanyl is a powerful opiate, has anyone had a setback in sx's or problems with it?

For pain I agreed to Demerol, what have you personally used for I.V. pain relief for a surgery?  I can't have morphine it makes me ill.  I told him just the very bare minimum on Fentanyl & Demerol.

Thanks to all who answer, nervous Nelly here.  :-\

MG :hug:

He said I needed Fentanyl, along with Propofol.  I had Propofol 2 weeks ago for a colonoscopy and had no problems.  They are doing a biopsy of nodes in my peritoneal cavity that are causing me pain.  He said Propofol is not enough for this laparascopic surgery.  I know Fentanyl is a powerful opiate, has anyone had a setback in sx's or problems with it?

For pain I agreed to Demerol, what have you personally used for I.V. pain relief for a surgery?  I can't have morphine it makes me ill.  I told him just the very bare minimum on Fentanyl & Demerol.

Hello,

I had fentanyl before all of my shoulder (3) surgeries. That was used along with propofol. I didn't have any difficulties with it's one time use. Yes, it is a very strong opiate but for surgical purposes you should be fine.

I never had IV pain relief though, just tablets of morphine and oxycodone. I actually never took the morphine, it's still sitting in my medicine cabinet until I can dispose of it properly.

Hey, it's normal to be a nervous Nellie before any surgery.  I'm sending healing thoughts and lots of hugs your way.

PG  :smitten:

[40...]

Pianogirl,

Thanks so much!  Glad to know fentanyl didn't affect you.  Hoping the demerol won't, seems I read it could on here somewhere, but couldn't find it when I searched.

Hugs!  MG :smitten:

Hello,

I had fentanyl before all of my shoulder (3) surgeries. That was used along with propofol. I didn't have any difficulties with it's one time use. Yes, it is a very strong opiate but for surgical purposes you should be fine.

I never had IV pain relief though, just tablets of morphine and oxycodone. I actually never took the morphine, it's still sitting in my medicine cabinet until I can dispose of it properly.

Hey, it's normal to be a nervous Nellie before any surgery.  I'm sending healing thoughts and lots of hugs your way.

PG  :smitten: