Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Potato chip recommendation

[Ia...]

Can anyone recommend and chips or snacks with no MSG or Gluten?  I like haveing a fun snack in the afternoon and it is nearly impossible to find anything.

Can anyone recommend and chips or snacks with no MSG or Gluten?  I like haveing a fun snack in the afternoon and it is nearly impossible to find anything.

There is a popcorn that I've tried but I don't remember the name..... I will try to find out for you if you like popcorn...

Its non-gmo verified, gluten free, and I think organic... Its only popcorn and sea salt as ingredients....not very loaded with salt but very tasty...

There is a popcorn that I've tried but I don't remember the name..... I will try to find out for you if you like popcorn...

Its non-gmo verified, gluten free, and I think organic... Its only popcorn and sea salt as ingredients....not very loaded with salt but very tasty...

That would be great!  If you find out message or comment!  THANKS!

Thats why I produce my own popcorn - just corn and sugar.

Sugar isnt good either but better than gluten and the other shit in normal chip/popcorn products.

Sugar isnt good either but better than gluten and the other shit in normal chip/popcorn products.

I dont mind making my own popcorn Im just nervous as one time I think popcorn set me off but then again I poured tons of butter on it.

I dont mind making my own popcorn Im just nervous as one time I think popcorn set me off but then again I poured tons of butter on it.

I forgot that we in Germany don't have butter on it :D - but I think it was the sugar not the butter that drove you crazy...

No problem!!!! I should know by the weekend as my friend buys it for me ( I'm housebound)

Btw, I hope you don't mind me asking you but I have the same heart issues you've been experiencing and one sx I get alot too is this loud thumping of my heart,  feels like its going to thump out of my chest but when I check it the pulse is only around 90.....have you had this too?

I also noticed the adrenaline surge in the morning makes my heart race to about 150 for about an hour then kind of settles down... Gives me shortness of breath.... Like I just ran 5 blocks...

Then ill get another surge always around 3:00 pm ... Same thing.... Is yours similar?

Oh yeah, also shortness of breath when laying down.....

All this drives me crazy... My health anxiety is thru the roof with flames...

Thanks for reading.... Hope your doing better

I forgot that we in Germany don't have butter on it :D - but I think it was the sugar not the butter that drove you crazy...

YEah a little sugar isnt bad, I am just as of yesterday trying a bit of sugar that comes in yogurt so we will see how it goes.

No problem!!!! I should know by the weekend as my friend buys it for me ( I'm housebound)

Btw, I hope you don't mind me asking you but I have the same heart issues you've been experiencing and one sx I get alot too is this loud thumping of my heart,  feels like its going to thump out of my chest but when I check it the pulse is only around 90.....have you had this too?

I also noticed the adrenaline surge in the morning makes my heart race to about 150 for about an hour then kind of settles down... Gives me shortness of breath.... Like I just ran 5 blocks...

Then ill get another surge always around 3:00 pm ... Same thing.... Is yours similar?

The thumping is normal for me, but I dont get the surges where my heart just goes 150 while I sit anymore.... but the thumping like it is going to come out of my chest is bad...  I have shortness of breathe all the time, I realized I cant move to much and when I try everything just gets worse.

I read from a neurologist that dairy/butter is a high glutamate food.... She said she uses it sparingly too.... Maybe that's why....

At some point when your better you could probably introduce it again...

I read from a neurologist that dairy/butter is a high glutamate food.... She said she uses it sparingly too.... Maybe that's why....

Ill have to research that, I lobve popcorn dearly so I hope without butter it is eatlable... but I have to recover from last night first.  What a horrible game it is.

The thumping is normal for me, but I dont get the surges where my heart just goes 150 while I sit anymore.... but the thumping like it is going to come out of my chest is bad...  I have shortness of breathe all the time, I realized I cant move to much and when I try everything just gets worse.

I'm sorry you have this too...(((.    )) but at least we're not alone... I so identified with what you said....

Ill have to research that, I lobve popcorn dearly so I hope without butter it is eatlable... but I have to recover from last night first.  What a horrible game it is.

Yes... I'm pretty sure the popcorn she gave me is also dairy free and its delicious....

most foods do have glutamate; but some lower then others.... I think its about moderation

Yes... I'm pretty sure the popcorn she gave me is also dairy free and its delicious....

most foods do have glutamate; but some lower then others.... I think its about moderation

Ive noticed that the kettle chips I was eating that didnt seem to bother me much did have glutimate of some sort so Im trying ot find something I can have without worry

Ive noticed that the kettle chips I was eating that didnt seem to bother me much did have glutimate of some sort so Im trying ot find something I can have without worry

I'm sure there is an organic one out there we haven't found....I'm going to look into this too...

I'd be a lot more comfortable using butter, then eating anything fried in industrial seed oils. Home-made popcorn with butter sounds great! The glutamates found naturally in foods are fine, it is the added ones that cause problems. I'll post links to more info later.

Kettle brand chips. Not cheap but Delish.

I thought that was true but it has Malodextrin which I heard is a  free Glutimate acid.... or something like.

If you are a sweet one, in my bad times I made myself "chips-like" things with sweet potatoes in the oven.

small pieces, some coconut oil or other one on it, salt, pepper, chili OR cinnamon. - delicious.

With cinnamon they taste like apple pie somehow.

The longer you let them in your oven the more crispy they get...

Don't they sell chip taco chips where you live - here in europe there is only corn and salt and oil in it. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Butter has zero protein in it. Glutamate is an amino acid, which is only found in protein. That neurologist isn't very smart. I'm VERY sensitive to high glutamate foods and everything I eat is cooked in butter (lots of it too). Sour cream is also another amazing food which is low in glutamate. Perhaps if you're not buying organic butter without additives, there could be MSG in it, but thats added to the butter. Buying a nice organic butter without all the crap in it would be fine. I have to say I do react to corn though. Any grain really. The only potato chip I can safely enjoy is Kettle brand Unsalted chips.

Butter has zero protein in it. Glutamate is an amino acid, which is only found in protein. That neurologist isn't very smart. I'm VERY sensitive to high glutamate foods and everything I eat is cooked in butter (lots of it too). Sour cream is also another amazing food which is low in glutamate. Perhaps if you're not buying organic butter without additives, there could be MSG in it, but thats added to the butter. Buying a nice organic butter without all the crap in it would be fine. I have to say I do react to corn though. Any grain really. The only potato chip I can safely enjoy is Kettle brand Unsalted chips.

That's strange... I also read that organic grass fed butter was really healthy.... But she stated it was the dairy milk in the butter ( if I'm not mistaken) and I think milk has protein and something called casein?

They also said to stay away from avacadoes because of high glutamate too but its high in glutathione which is why I was always eating them.....  I would love to learn more of which foods could help and which to limit.....

• 2 weeks later...

That's strange... I also read that organic grass fed butter was really healthy.... But she stated it was the dairy milk in the butter ( if I'm not mistaken) and I think milk has protein and something called casein?

They also said to stay away from avacadoes because of high glutamate too but its high in glutathione which is why I was always eating them.....  I would love to learn more of which foods could help and which to limit.....

Sorry it took so long to reply, I don't usually log on daily anymore. She is totally right about dairy protein having a ton of casein (which is loaded with glutamate); however, butter has no protein. I ate a good bit of cream cheese at 5 months out and I paid for it the next day, so that was definitely the dairy protein. As for avocados, I have eaten one a day since I was probably one year off. Glutamate shouldn't be a problem with avocados, but if you have a histamine intolerance, they are loaded with them. Thankfully, my histamine intolerance totally healed and now I'm just dealing with glutamate/salt/sugar sensitivities. With the sugar and salt sensitivities, it seems like I just get an exaggerated version of what these things normally do to people. Salt raises blood pressure and adrenaline with normal folks, but with me, a tiny amount of salt equals a speedy amped up feeling, irritability, and sometimes insomnia. Sugar makes me feel energetic and super happy (hypomanic?) but it goes away after 3 or 4 hours and I sleep fine. Glutamate just feels like a chemical s-storm in my head! Weird, crazy racing thoughts, OCD, anxiety, etc etc. These food sensitivities sure do stink, but I've learned that for the most part, as long as something is in it's natural, unprocessed state (without anything added) it should be fine. Of course, its always best to take it slow and gradually taper on to any new foods to minimize a potential reaction. Man I want pizza so bad!!!!  >:D

I pop my own organic popcorn in a hot air popper. I put a little butter on it. They also have non GMO popcorn in health food stores that is popped in coconut oil. That's really good.

Avocados make me feel good. I was told there was glutamate, or something in them.  Everything in moderation, though.

Jenny