Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Opiods Group

[Sh...]

Just thought I'd start a thread where people who are using opiods aswell can discuss the impact etc...Personally I've been using them to help with my mental sfxs once or twice a week pretty much all year. I've cut back a lot now that I've been off benzos for 4.5 months. My mental sfxs are still bad from benzo WD though so I'm still reliant on opiates to help me through sometimes. Anyone else?

For me opiates are a necessity. The benzos were not. I never had a condition that required them, just a lot of life crap happening over and over

Of course I didnt know the cost of taking them

With my pain, I am not getting anything from my percocet besides the ability to get out of bed and function daily

If I become tolerant or lose them to DEA action my first worry will be my pain, not wds.

Much like a diabetic losing their insulin

I am finding my benzo taper to be increasing my pain

Do you find opiates to help your WD symptoms? Some people seem to think using them can mess up our healing from benzos. I'm not sure either way.

Never thought I would be in a group like this! But I have relentless dental pain, apparently neuropathic, and an opiod is pretty much the only thing that makes a dent in it so I can sleep. It doesn't really take away them pain, it makes the pain more of just an "odd sensation" that is more bearable. I take about 1 to 1 1/2 percocet (5/325) almost every night.

I've got an appointment for a dental pain clinic in about a week, so hopefully they will have some better answers for me. I don't mind taking the opiod at night (I call it my "velvet couch"), but it makes me unpleasantly zonked during the day. I've also got horrendous constipation, if anyone has idea for that it is appreciated.

I've found that opiates make benzo sxs much worse for me. I did a ct in January from a pretty high dose and find I can't use at all or I go right back into opiate withdrawal. I think it depends a lot on your history and use of opiates in the past.  :)--V

The first time I came off Xanax suboxone got me through the tough stuff . I honestly wish it never lost its effectiveness. It was the cleanest longest acting opioid I've ever touched and one 1mg dose would last an entire week. But, I chased that feeling and eventually ended up on 24 mg and I stopped getting effects from it. Brutal brutal withdrawal

8)

Meowie, I always get constipated if I have to take Norco, Colace has always worked for me. Cross

Never thought I would be in a group like this! But I have relentless dental pain, apparently neuropathic, and an opiod is pretty much the only thing that makes a dent in it so I can sleep. It doesn't really take away them pain, it makes the pain more of just an "odd sensation" that is more bearable. I take about 1 to 1 1/2 percocet (5/325) almost every night.

I've got an appointment for a dental pain clinic in about a week, so hopefully they will have some better answers for me. I don't mind taking the opiod at night (I call it my "velvet couch"), but it makes me unpleasantly zonked during the day. I've also got horrendous constipation, if anyone has idea for that it is appreciated.

I know they use benzos to help people get off opiods. So im guessing the opposite is okay...? Its been a week now since Ive had some and my intrusive thoughts are starting to get the better of me. Wish there was absolute conformation that they dont stuff up your healing. Im always worried.

Meowie, I always get constipated if I have to take Norco, Colace has always worked for me. Cross

Thanks, Cross. I figured out last night that I could use the oxycontin as a topical! Don't know why I didn't try this before, I've done it quite a while with the acetominophen. I wet down the pill, fill a q-tip with the paste, and hold it against my gums. It worked pretty well last night. We'll see how tonight goes. I'm also using a hot pepper (for capsaicin) which seems to help.

I guess I'll try and taper a bit tonight--1/2 oxy plus 1/4 oxy.

A lot of doctors seem to recommend lactulose to treat constipation caused by this class of pain medication.

I took a very weak opiod pain killer for about a year (tylenol 3 with codeine) and was very careful with it and only took 1 or 2 tablets a day.

Still I had horrible constipation. I'm off the tylenol 3's now and no longer constipated but I do still get the bloating.

I know what you mean about the opiod not really taking away the pain, that was my experience too. It just made me care less about it.

I hope your appointment goes well and you can finally get some relief.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Chinookwind. I'm having good nights alternating with bad nights. On a good night, I can get by with 1/4 plus 1/4 oxycodone, with added acetominophen. On a bad night 1 plus 1/2 Oxy. I have no clue about laxatives, but I have both Miralax and Dulcolax. If I take the Oxy at 8 PM and 2 AM, when should I take the laxative? (FWIW--I usually "go" in late morning, sorry if TMI). Or do I take it all day , or with meals, or what? This is really not fun, I hope they have some better solutions for me.  >:(

Well I used some oxycodone a few days ago because the benzo WD was killing me. Have felt pretty rough ever since. Really want to give them away but its difficult when my mental symptoms are so bad still 5 months after finishing my taper. Am I causing myself more damage?

I just really don't know, but it can't be great. I feel some of the same things I felt in benzo withdrawal--heart a bit "palpy" and racing, sweaty, a bit light-headed and my sleep is definitely distured, not as deep. Aside from the obvious "velvet couch" relaxation feeling.

Does the oxy take away some of the obsessive thinking?

Its hard to say isnt it...they dont work on gaba receptors but who knows. They do help and take away a lot of the bad thoughts and anxiety that goes with them. But i get a bit of a hangover and maybe its making things worse in the long run.

Its hard to say isnt it...they dont work on gaba receptors but who knows. They do help and take away a lot of the bad thoughts and anxiety that goes with them. But i get a bit of a hangover and maybe its making things worse in the long run.

Oxy can be nasty and sneak up on you before you know it. I've gone the rounds with it and it will definitely mess with depression and anxiety. It causes a shortage of dopamine, serotonin and other feel good neurotransmitters. Even sporadic use will set you up for trouble. I've found I can't use it at all without getting into to trouble eventually.  :)--V

I got answers regarding my dental pain, and it is not great. I have trigeminal neuropathy that is progressing, and there is already some nerve damage, loss of sensation. I'm scheduled for an MRI and hopefully that will provide more answers, not terrible ones. There are not good answers for the pain yet.

So I've taken at least some oxycodone every night since 10/25. On most nights, I can do okay on 1/4 plus 1/4 of a Percocet (5mg/325mg). On bad nights, like last night, I will use up to 1 and 1/2. It helps tremendously with the pain and getting sleep. Am I dependent? Not really sure how to feel about this. I don't get any kind of high.

I am so sorry for your pain meowie. I had dental work done in Mexico and they damaged a nerve. Right now I just have numbness, but I hear often how benzos can mask the pain.

I hope you find answers

I got answers regarding my dental pain, and it is not great. I have trigeminal neuropathy that is progressing, and there is already some nerve damage, loss of sensation. I'm scheduled for an MRI and hopefully that will provide more answers, not terrible ones. There are not good answers for the pain yet.

So I've taken at least some oxycodone every night since 10/25. On most nights, I can do okay on 1/4 plus 1/4 of a Percocet (5mg/325mg). On bad nights, like last night, I will use up to 1 and 1/2. It helps tremendously with the pain and getting sleep. Am I dependent? Not really sure how to feel about this. I don't get any kind of high.

Im sure if youre doing such a low dose you wouldnt be doing much harm. You might get dependent if you take it consistently but its tiny.