Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Lyrica for post withdrawal? Any experience?

[Ma...]

Hi Buddies,

I was wondering if anyone has tried Lyrica (gabapentin) for management of withdrawal symptoms? It is mentioned on the Benzo withdrawal syndrome wiki.

I never tried Lyrica but I did ask my doc to put me on gabapentin late last year. I know that some buddies here have done well w/ gabapentin &/or Lyrica but gabapentin made my mind race and my skin burn like crazy. I only took it once and that was a wrap for me. It's my understanding that Lyrica is essentially a more potent form of gabapentin. Anyway, good luck with it should you go that route.

yeah, in the US at least. and it is a controlled substance, meaning i wouldn't try to order it from abroad.

my insurance (high end employer) won't pay for this for anything off-label, and even label hard to get

My understanding is that there is not a generic fro Lyrica and it's very expensive.

Hi Buddies,

I was wondering if anyone has tried Lyrica (gabapentin) for management of withdrawal symptoms? It is mentioned on the Benzo withdrawal syndrome wiki.

Hi Matt,

It helps me take a bit of the edge off of my anxiety. But if you do this...start in low doses and work up from there, if need be.

[81...]

Hi Buddies,

Hi Matt - gabapentin is actually the same as Neurontin, and Lyrica (pregabalin) is another similar drug, also used to treat nerve pain.

I used gabapentin during a rapid taper, but that was to prevent seizures, and I tapered off quickly, right after I jumped. It may have helped somewhat with neuropathy in my feet, but that was only temporary, and by the end it wasn't doing anything except giving me very swollen feet.

I'm not sure it is worth starting unless it is for very specific symptoms.