Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Is gabapentin like a benzo??

[Ja...]

Ok so honest opinions from those given gabapentin

Does it prevent healing? Need to be carefully tapered?

Is it in fact like a benzo?

I am on remeron

But this last 1mg I have hit acute

It doesn't feel manageable

I feel I will die if I don't use something else

I have tapered. 8 mos

Was doing well just two weeks ago. Not great but ok. Enjoying things somewhat. Will hold 1mg Valium

I personally don't like the mental effects of gabapentin. It was too much for me to handle so I quit after a few weeks. It may work ok to take a dose at night if sleep is a problem.  :)--V

What do you feel w it?

I took 1 100 mg yesterday when pain gets crazy bad. Don't want to take it if I don't need to but have to make it off this.

What do you feel w it?

I took 1 100 mg yesterday when pain gets crazy bad. Don't want to take it if I don't need to but have to make it off this.

It hammered my memory and made me very fatigued. Using it at night could work for sleep. I didn't find it helped my pain issue very much but that doesn't mean it won't help you.  :)--V

I was on gabapentin for about four years. Stopping it reminded me of quitting benzos but at a much lower level that holds on for longer, if that makes sense. Quitting it set me back considerably.

Do you think it was bc of c/t of neurontin

Are you healed yet? How was your jump.

Any acute?

I am not sure what acute is but.. I am not in a good way and hoping that holding at my 1mg dose helps

Don't want to add more drugs but would rather be on neurontin then Valium

Do u think it impacted healing? Are u able to sleep, eat and work?

I just quit work.

Crazy

Jackson,

I just this weekend decided that enough is enough with try get free of my 3.5 mgs of remeron. I have tried 4 times, and been unsuccessful in all of them.

To that end, I made the decision to try 100mgs of gabapentin at night.

Since my GP had already given me a 'trial' script of some a couple of months back, I tried "1" last night. I think I'm pleased so far.

Your desire to get off Valium is the same way I'm feeling about getting off that remeron of mine. I was only ever on 3.75, and it pooped out very, very quickly. So now...I take it ONLY cuz I can't get off it, NOT because it's doing ANYTHING useful.

I took the remeron for "sleep". It worked for a couple of months. Tried to get off....failed. Went back on. Really not working well Tapered slower. Failed. This has gone on for a couple of years now.

Do I think I 'healed' underneath? Not sure my GABA receptors are the issue at the moment.

I am certainly not healed since I have managed to crash into fibro/CFS. I am still functional, and I think my cognition is better than a couple of years ago.

Don't think I have severe fibro/CFS, and I absolutely must take care of this before it spirals even further downward.

Did you take more gabapentin?

My functional medicine guy doesn't approve, but I need to sleep, or I don't have a chance of recovery.

Yes trying to stay away from neurontin

But my symptoms are severe now

Holding at 1mg valium

This is round 3 and I have to make it off no matter what

I was functional until a week ago then 4 nights of no sleep, stress of work and kids I collapsed and have been frying ever since

Frying.

I was doing so well two weeks ago I hope to regain stability only to taper again

My heart is acting up and I am really scared now

I feel really badly

Burning burning and shaking underneath

I don't even know is this only wothdrawal? It feels so severe

Do you think it was bc of c/t of neurontin

Are you healed yet? How was your jump.

Any acute?

I am not sure what acute is but.. I am not in a good way and hoping that holding at my 1mg dose helps

Don't want to add more drugs but would rather be on neurontin then Valium

Do u think it impacted healing? Are u able to sleep, eat and work?

I just quit work.

Crazy

I'm sure if I had tapered and not just done a cold turkey of gabapentin I would have been in much better shape. I haven't felt like I've been healing ever since I stopped gabapentin. I felt like I was healing before stopping gabapentin but then I stopped and I have been suffering since and no longer feel like I'm making much progress in terms of healing.

My jump from klonopin was awful but after a horrible three weeks I felt like I was at least heading in the right direction. I was optimistic and hopeful in regards to my healing. Now I feel stuck and truly don't know if I'll ever be "healed".

I'll sometimes take gabapentin, and I think that short term use would be appropriate for the  sxs the op talks about. I would not go over 200 or 300mg/day. It is not something I like a lot, but some days are very torturous and I do take it. Bottom line, I'd rather take some Gabapentin then end up in ER or psych ward....

I'll sometimes take gabapentin, and I think that short term use would be appropriate for the  sxs the op talks about. I would not go over 200 or 300mg/day. It is not something I like a lot, but some days are very torturous and I do take it. Bottom line, I'd rather take some Gabapentin then end up in ER or psych ward....

I totally agree with this line of thinking. I have now taken 100mgs of gabapentin for 6 nights, and I believe it has calmed things down considerably. My remaining burning nerve pain has all but disappeared, and I definitely am sleeping a little better. I am slowly tapering my low dose of remeron. Now sitting @ 3.5 mgs, and with the help of gabapentin, I hope to finally get off of it.

I am not telling you to take it, but just reporting on what it's done for me.