Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Decided to bite the progesterone bullet

[ol...]

After watching all the discussions and weighing the pros and cons I decided to start on it. I used the Emerita individual packets. They are 20mg cream.The reason I decided to use it is I am near 50 and my cycles are all screwed up. Months without a period, some months 17 days straight and so heavy I can't leave the house. I figured if I take it continuously I can stop my period for a while like the birth control pill you take all year long. Well the first 3 weeks were lovely, anxiety went away, slept very well and my cog fog improved a bit. Now week 4 I have had a rough time the last three days. Not sleeping that great, some anxiety creeping back,some pounding heart but not over 85 bpm, just strong beats. But, I am also sick, lost the back of a molar so off to the dentist (stress) and we had no water all last week. Not sure if I should continue and see or just down dose for a week or so and be done. I guess it was nice while it lasted. I used 20mg/day. May come back to bite me. I will keep updating as things happen.  :)

Also taking a bunch of cold meds. I guess that could rev stuff up as well. Gonna have  to think some more about stopping it or not.

I have too.

I started bioidentical capsules. I went to cream (pro est. OTC)

Doctor mad.  Wants me to stay on oral.

I thought creams were better.

I had used this brand before "pre taper" and had no problems. The coolest thing is my hair stopped falling out.  :thumbsup:  I thought I was going bald for a while. I slept good last night and heart/ anxiety have let up. Maybe all the cold meds were the culprit. Im going to keep taking for now. I wont up the dose though. Oral meds get processed through your liver which I can't handle. My doc said cream is safer for me.

All this conversations on other threads are freaking me out.

I totally hate this. 

I feel ill never get better because I "may" be hurting myself on hormones and other meds.

Want to cry

Thank you both for posting.  Can you please post an update or two to let everyone know how you get on with the progesterone?

I too am having a terrible time with hormone problems, and it looks like I might need to add progesterone (in the form of Prometrium) for insomnia relief.

But like reba123456 said, there are so many scary posts about progesterone, and I don't want to risk making an already bad situation worse. 

I'm still taking diazepam because I can't continue tapering until my sleep stabilises (I'm having to take my morning dose during the night), but I desperately want off benzos.  But I also don't want to potentially mess my GABA receptors up even more by adding progesterone.

But maybe we only hear the negative stories, so I'd really love to hear how things work out for you both.

I am still ok so far. I think being sick/ cold meds did me in. If there are any drastic changes I will update this thread. If nothing exciting/ disturbing happens I will check in every so often. From what I understand non pregnant women should only need 20 mg/day.