Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Paxil while tapering

[Me...]

I just had the initial talk with my doc about tapering off lorazepam and she prescribed Paxil before I start tapering, and I'll see her again in two weeks.

In the past I tried Prozac without major problems but it didn't help either (anxiety), and Celexa (which made me feel like hell, super dizzy, horrible tingling chest waves that just wouldn't stop). I'm scared to try Paxil and know it has the potential for bad withdrawal too, but need something to help get me out from under the lorazepam.

Anyone have experience with Paxil before/during tapering a benzo?

Yikes! I've been reading a lot about how difficult it is to get off Paxil, and prompted by this post I asked my doctor about trying something else that won't make me dependent. She and the pharmacist are both pro-Paxil, so I don't know... I'm torn. I need SOME way to deal with this constant chest tightness and woozy feeling while tapering.

Ugh, wish my body would just have behaved in the first place and no drugs would have ever been necessary!  :P

[92...]

I'm not going to come right out and recommend Paxil, that's for sure.

~However~  I quit Paxil before I began tapering Ativan, and it was a huge mistake. The minute I stopped the Paxil I never had a full night's sleep again for almost a year. So if you are going to be on an SSRI anyway, Paxil is probably preferable because it helps with benzo insomnia.

As far as getting off Paxil, yes, it is tough, but nothing like the hell of benzo withdrawal. But also consider that getting ON Paxil is not easy either, as the startup side effects can be rough.

Bottom line, if you can skip the SSRI, great - if not, Paxil isn't the worst choice, in my humble opinion.

Good luck!  :thumbsup:

I got to a point where I felt so horrible that the doctor talked me into Paxil. I tried it for approximately 6 days. Every morning when I woke up I could feel my heart beating in my fricken eyeballs. It was activating for me. I felt like I constantly had to move or my muscles would seize. I stopped it and after 3 days was back to my original hell. Now I am really afraid to try anything at all.

It effects everyone differently but I am sure not wired for it.

I wish you good luck if you decide to take it.

Sandy.

Thanks for all the feedback! It's so valuable to read about different experiences.

I'm planning a straight taper - they told me decrease by .25 mg a day for two weeks to start.

Tomorrow I'll probably break off a little Paxil crumb and try it to make sure it doesn't send me back to Celexa hell. That was awful. Then go from there....

There's no way I can start tapering while I already feel wobbly and tight-chested most of the time, though it appears the lorazepam has made my decision for me by ceasing to be effective.

Hi!

I am in the process of getting off of paxil. I took 10mg for a while now I am on 5mg. Its been hell

for me trying to come off of paxil but i am still moving forward with my taper.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do. Kim

Hi!

I am in the process of getting off of paxil. I took 10mg for a while now I am on 5mg. Its been hell

for me trying to come off of paxil but i am still moving forward with my taper.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do. Kim

Good luck to you too, Kim! You sound determined.  :thumbsup:

It was a tough choice for me getting on Paxil to help get off lorazepam but I'm trusting my doctor (I know not everyone will think that's a good idea). Still not really on it... up to maybe 1 mg now. If it will help with social anxiety as well as my physical symptoms, I'd like to see how it works for me.

Wish I didn't need any of this stuff....  :(