Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

BREAKING NEWS - BRITISH MEDICAL ASSOCIATION CALLS FOR NATIONAL HELPLINE

[lo...]

I am literally shaking as I type this.  After so many years, so many decades the British Medical Association has finally taken action. 

See news item below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37716869

There was also a radio programme on this morning which I missed but am listening to now.  I don't suppose those of you outside the UK will be able to listen to it.  I see from be good's post below that it is available.  You can email the programme at goldberg@bbc.co.uk - tell them your story, it doesn't matter if you are not in the UK.  Or even just write and say what you think of the programme, you don't have to tell your story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07zxrdb

I need time to digest all this but just wanted to share.

Fiona  :thumbsup:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [lo...]

• [La...]

• [be...]

• [Te...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Fiona this is just wonderful indeed, and I am in the USA and just clicked on link and I heard it fine, I will listen to it in a bit. Thank you, and so happy that finally the Rabbit Hatch is opening..... :thumbsup::smitten:

Thanks, BG, I am very emotional.  I don't know what to feel.  Shock, surprise, scepticism .....  will it translate into action?

Fiona  :smitten:

Thanks, BG, I am very emotional.  I don't know what to feel.  Shock, surprise, scepticism .....  will it translate into action?

I know how long you have been at this and I am like you lets hope something comes to fruition, time will tell, but Fiona be proud of all you have tried to do for the cause. Always keep that in mind. Now we shall see...... :smitten: 

Fantastic news! Thank you, Fiona, for sharing it with all of us! I applaud the UK's actions on this one, and I sincerely hope that those of us on the other side of the Atlantic can point across the way and say, "Look what they're doing! Let's do it here too!" Go UK!

Hi pris

Well, I am not sure that I really helped but I suppose every little bit adds up .......

I don't know how Scotland fits into all this.  Time will tell.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That is great news Fiona!  I'm hopeful that it can help so many taper off these drugs or maybe provide warnings to those considering their use.  Thanks for posting this and hope the US and other countries implement something similar  :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for this information, Fiona!!! This is momentous!!! And it's about time after all these years and so, so much suffering.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, Terry.  I am very pleased about this development.  I just wonder if Government will agree to fund a helpline and other support services.

Thanks for this heads-up.  Listened to the program.  It's available as an MP3 download at that site for a limited period of time.  Clearly the Brits are ahead of the U.S. in terms of awareness of the benzo problem and a willingness to do something about it.  I have downloaded the MP3 and will start copying it to CD's and will mail it to every psychiatrist and GP I can find.  I hope others will do the same.  We need to put serious doubts in the minds of doctors about their prescribing habits.

Thanks for this heads-up.  Listened to the program.  It's available as an MP3 download at that site for a limited period of time.  Clearly the Brits are ahead of the U.S. in terms of awareness of the benzo problem and a willingness to do something about it.  I have downloaded the MP3 and will start copying it to CD's and will mail it to every psychiatrist and GP I can find.  I hope others will do the same.  We need to put serious doubts in the minds of doctors about their prescribing habits.

Wow, that is great.  I wonder if you could send them the link to the documentary by Shane Kenny at the same time.

The experts on benzos are featured on that.  You will know best.

This is GREAT!  Just listening to it now.  Thanks for posting this BBC Radio Program Fiona, OldDave and Polenta, all individually.  Clearly there is and should be much excitement over this recent development in the UK.  Brings tears to my eyes.  The documentaries and now this...just great.

And great job Photobug! :boxer: Yes, to just put doubt in the minds of doctors is progress.

This makes me cry. It is so long overdue. To have to go through this ordeal without anyone realizing how difficult it is, without any recognition or understanding, erodes what little core we have left to fight the benzo crap. I'm certainly hoping that this gets to the U.S. I'm so tired of being looked at as if I'm on another planet when I say I've been going through this for 31 months. 

What runs through the whole thing for me is the unwillingness for the doctors and various medical associations to just say, "We did something wrong. We should not have prescribed the medication for so long. And we should have fully warned all patients of the possibility of terrible withdrawals BEFORE we prescribed the medications in the first place."

The use of the word "addiction" needs to be qualified. Not everyone engages in "addictive behaviour", which includes increasing doses, lying and/or stealing to get more of the substance, continuing to take a substance despite repeated warnings that it could be harmful to do so, etc. Most cases of benzodiazepine problems are caused by "iatrogenic" reasons (i.e. doctor or medication-induced). Benzodiazepines cause changes to neurotransmitters by their very action. It is well-defined in the medical literature. I do wish that delineation would have been made at some point in the radio program.

Overall, though, it's been an amazingly powerful few days -- with the video, the radio program and the articles. Really overwhelming. I'm quite emotional too (read: lots of tears).

Fiona, did the benzo topic start right at 22:00? I've just caught the last 10 minutes, and so far, it's great. This guy is asking the hard questions. YES!