Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Ways to help with food sensitivities?

[Di...]

I'm still only a month out, though a lot of my other symptoms seem to be wavering. The biggest issue I have now is not being able to eat a lot of foods. I am very sensitive to histamine and sugars still, tho seemingly not as bad as before. Im not sure if it's too early to try to reintroduce these foods and I'm worried about the revved up symptoms, since they can be even more debilitating especially after putting in the energy to make a meal that i cant even eat.

I'm wondering what other people do to help alleviate/slowly ease themselves back into their old diet and also if I might be trying it too soon. Is it dangerous to try to eat these foods that give me a back reaction, or does it just make the symptoms harder? Any answers are great, I just want to be able to eat easily and healthily again!

hello and congratulations on being medication free. Food is so different for everybody but I will give you my personal feedback. Shortly after stopping my medication I needed to become gluten and dairy free. I have remained gluten free for two years and dairy free since January. I am two years off of Klonopin and one year  off of Valium. In the last two months I have eliminated  yeast, soy, and histaminea. After a year I was hoping to reintroduce some things but it seems that I am taking things out. I see a nutritionist who completed the leap MRT panel which is a blood test that tests 132 sensitivities to food and chemicals. It has been very helpful and takes out a lot of the guesswork that I spent the first year off  off Klonopin. It is a lot of work but we will heal.

I find that some of my food sensitivities have gone, but been replaced my new ones.  i retest foods every couple of years, and I KNOW how irritating it is to  make a delicious meal and then not be able to eat it.in my case these "allergies"  have only been pseudo allergies, so no anaphylactic shock  -    just feeling really crap for  a day or four….           

Ashton mentions this in relation to drugs:

"It is not clear why many people report experiencing adverse effects from new drugs or drugs they have tolerated before taking benzodiazepines. The drugs involved are so disparate - from skin ointments to eye drops to local anaesthetics to antidepressants, steroids and many others - that it is difficult to attribute these reactions to metabolic effects, allergies or other known effects. Presumably the general hypersensitivity of the nervous system magnifies the reaction to any foreign substances, but no clear explanation has yet emerged. An exception is quinolone antibiotics which displace benzodiazepines from their binding sites and should not be taken by patients on, or recently on, benzodiazepines."

I have food sensitivities and have to carefully watch what I eat, too.  At 5 weeks off benzos, I'm finding I'm reacting more to foods again and even pollen allergies are worse.  I think my histamine levels are sky high from the GABA/glutamate imbalance.  I'm trying DAO supplements again to see if they can help calm the food reactions.  It has helped in the past.

I have food sensitivities and have to carefully watch what I eat, too.  At 5 weeks off benzos, I'm finding I'm reacting more to foods again and even pollen allergies are worse.  I think my histamine levels are sky high from the GABA/glutamate imbalance.  I'm trying DAO supplements again to see if they can help calm the food reactions.  It has helped in the past.

yea I know what you mean! It's so bad even just a tiny bit of spicy food or sugar or even just smelling household cleaners can get my symptoms all messed up. Even so, I've been trying to reintroduce foods slowly. So far so good but I still can't have spicy stuff or anything greasy/high is histamine like bacon or prosciutto. I think i might try my luck with sugar tonight since I'm in an apathy wave and I feel like rolling the dice. Maybe I'll just try my luck at drinking equate again (stuff is no joke sugary like wow) The food intolerance just breaks my heart, especially with spicy foods. I miss curry so much 💔

I find that some of my food sensitivities have gone, but been replaced my new ones.  i retest foods every couple of years, and I KNOW how irritating it is to  make a delicious meal and then not be able to eat it.in my case these "allergies"  have only been pseudo allergies, so no anaphylactic shock  -    just feeling really crap for  a day or four….           

Ashton mentions this in relation to drugs:

"It is not clear why many people report experiencing adverse effects from new drugs or drugs they have tolerated before taking benzodiazepines. The drugs involved are so disparate - from skin ointments to eye drops to local anaesthetics to antidepressants, steroids and many others - that it is difficult to attribute these reactions to metabolic effects, allergies or other known effects. Presumably the general hypersensitivity of the nervous system magnifies the reaction to any foreign substances, but no clear explanation has yet emerged. An exception is quinolone antibiotics which displace benzodiazepines from their binding sites and should not be taken by patients on, or recently on, benzodiazepines."

thank you for the info! Yea I am at a point were I'm sure it isnt allergies either. Just sensitivities. But they're still awful. I just miss foods so much. I love eating decadent foods and now i'm stuck with unspiced meals and low blood sugar. I take solace in cooking decadent stuff and then forcing my partner to eat it though. It's kind of like I'm eating vicariously through him lol

hello and congratulations on being medication free. Food is so different for everybody but I will give you my personal feedback. Shortly after stopping my medication I needed to become gluten and dairy free. I have remained gluten free for two years and dairy free since January. I am two years off of Klonopin and one year  off of Valium. In the last two months I have eliminated  yeast, soy, and histaminea. After a year I was hoping to reintroduce some things but it seems that I am taking things out. I see a nutritionist who completed the leap MRT panel which is a blood test that tests 132 sensitivities to food and chemicals. It has been very helpful and takes out a lot of the guesswork that I spent the first year off  off Klonopin. It is a lot of work but we will heal.

This is good info! I think that if my sensitivities dont get better in a month I may decide to do that test as well. Sounds promising, though I'm starting to think my GI is healing quicker than I had originally expected it to.