Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Having surgery

[...]

I'm actually posting this for a friend who isn't on BB.  She is 10 mo. Off and about to have major surgery in November.  She is worried about the anesthesia.  She will prob get a benzo first then general aestesia.  Does anybody have experience with this?  Obviously she is worried about withdrawal syndrome symptoms worsening.  She is planning on talking to doc about foregoing the benzos and just doing general anesthesia.  She is really worried and Anyone with experience on this chiming in would be very helpful.  Thanks!

Versed, a benzo, is commonly used as a pre-anesthetic. She can request that they use something else, and make sure they note in her record that she is not to be given any benzos at all during her hospitalization. She also needs to make sure that if she requires an antibiotic, they don't give her a fluoroquinolone, like cipro or levaquin. Those can make benzo sensitive people really sick.

I would also suggest she avoid the Z drugs for sleep, like ambien, and steer clear of steroids too if possible.

The docs might have a fit at all these requests, but it should be possible.

Yes - she is allowed to refuse the benzo -- I always felt that this protocol was as  much for the medical staff as for the patient.  Makes them feel more relaxed if they think the patient is.  And yes ask them to chart no quinolones!

WBB