I've Beaten Benzos! My Long Journey to Freedom

[13...]

Thank you for taking the time to post your success story. It is a wonderful story and I'm so happy that you made it through!

Thanks again and happy trails!

-Ed

What a beautiful story and Im so happy for your recovery.  I totally believe after my ct of 4mg of xanax is that its so important that people come back and tell their stories I know if it wasnt for them I definately wouldnt be here.  Im so in love with life and all it offers even on my worst day it will never be as bad as a benzo ct and Im just loving the fact that I you and many others get to enjoy life in the way its meant to be live.  Its a very exciting time once you are recovered.

enjoy

Lizzy

[13...]
Thank you for all these good wishes. I still help many others survive this horrendous process so I'll never forget it. I'm coming up to four years off benzos on Nov 22nd so a time for celebration 🎉. The most important point in my story is that however long on benzos, and however many times kindled and in spite of a long protracted withdrawal I have recovered and if I can do it so can all those that come after me.  :smitten:

Congratulations on your healing!  Inspiring  and heartening story from such years of calamity.  Bless you and your  caring supportive  husband.  I aspire, agree with and follow some of your principles  about  not giving  so much power to the hell and all the negatives.

You are truely amazing and super strong!

Wishing you and hubby all the best

:smitten:

Can I ask what month your anxiety went away? It seems like mine will last forever!

Thank you!

By the way, did it lessen in intensity or did it just go one day? I didn't have anxiety before benzos. I just started my 32nd month, and it's driving me crazy!

[13...]

The severe anxiety went at around three years off but I have continued to overreact to stress so try to keep as stress free as I can. I still feel some anxiety at night but I have learnt to control it all so it's not a problem. There are so many techniques to help us with this. 

Anxiety just lessens over time and is unlikely to disappear suddenly when we're protracted. It's also important to get out into the world in spite of the anxiety and live as normal a life as possible as this helps the brain to readjust. It's very hard but slowly we get calmer and calmer and all that revving anxiety becomes a thing of the past. 👍

• 3 years later...

Thank you so much Beth.  You explained so much, and I identified.  I'm very grateful.

Thought tonight how *strange* it was that I rarely read success stories.  How odd ???  Going to have to change that, it seems completely counterproductive.  Counter to self.  I can easily get stuck in the quagmire of ideas relating to symptoms  >:D:crazy:, and am sooooo tired of it.  But also very helpful.  Needed it at the start.  Was blind to everything benzowise, really.  I need to start acting, the beginnings of MY own success story now.  :D  :smitten:

I'm still not well at 21 months but believe I'm entering the 'Phase' where it's "Into Action" for me, now.  I'm taking myself to the dance.    :-* haha

I/we am always grateful when another declares the lonely hell of this maelstrom benzodiazapines.  So terrible to bear this shit alone.  Whatever would I have done had I not stumbled here?  More and different meds probably.  Certainly.  Increase in meds.  Different diagnoses, as one specialst after the next hones in on his/her own specialty.  'Til in the the old stand-by "anxiety";PTSD;alcohol.  Which I knew, no probs.  But THIS was different! 

And I'm still wondering why I rarely read the success stories.  They should be the first thing I read! 

And then you wrote YOUR success story!  And I didn't feel so alone.  Felt Understood.  Gave me hope.    Thanks.

* Things change for me on daily basis, hope others here don't think I don't know what I'm talking about, completely:).  And why now I will hold back from my sometimes too early jubilance about my healing/recovery.  So desperate for recovery.  But desperation in times like these does not help. 

I can see you have put an enormous amount of work into your recovery and am so very happy for you.  The recalibration of brain, mind, and body does not take place overnight.  Complete reconstruct.  Phwww! 

Sorry about ridiculously long post.  Success stories are good me.

Dee  :smitten: