Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Does anyone take hydroxzine for anxiety or sleep? Does it work? Suggest another?

[Pi...]

Hi, hydroxizine worked very well for me. I took it for better sleeping, but it helped me to decrease anxiety as well. I did feel very sleepy and slow in the mornings. Better to start slowly, like 1/3 of a 25 mg pill, I started taking a fifth. The maximum was 1/2 of that pill. No wd problems when I stopped taking it, took it for more than three months,end of taper.

Clona

After reading this, I cut one tablet into quarters. Took one earlier in the day and another just before bed.

It's making me groggy this morning.

I'm on the 2ND night of this, 25mg capsules and I'm still waking up, can't go back to sleep but I'm still very tired/groggy.  :( So I need to up the dose or find another.

why do you want to stop seroquel.

you can try 3.25 remeron + 300mg gabapentin

Needing a sleep alternative. Trying to find another sleeping pill so I can stop seroquel.

why do you want to stop seroquel.

you can try 3.25 remeron + 300mg gabapentin

Needing a sleep alternative. Trying to find another sleeping pill so I can stop seroquel.

I've never heard of those other meds. But I don't want to be on a psych med that I have to take for years. Especially an antipsychotic for sleep. I want an actual sleeping pill to take for a few months.

Hi, hydroxizine worked very well for me. I took it for better sleeping, but it helped me to decrease anxiety as well. I did feel very sleepy and slow in the mornings. Better to start slowly, like 1/3 of a 25 mg pill, I started taking a fifth. The maximum was 1/2 of that pill. No wd problems when I stopped taking it, took it for more than three months,end of taper.

Clona

Hi

Can you also take it in the morning for anxiety? Also, is it ok to mix it with valium?

Remeron is the way to go for benzo withdrawal. Non habit forming, has antidepressant effect throughout day(not noticeable) and at night it works wonders for sleep and appetite. Both crucial in withdrawal. It has no side effects other than tiredness and hunger, and can be stopped and started without problems. This with a low dose of seroquel(50 mg or less) should help significantly. Seroquel is an antipsychotic, but it's amazing for sleep and has little to no dependency issues. I had no problems stopping it. At 50 mg it is not a therapeutic dose, only good for sleep

i've been experimenting with both remeron and seroquel (and gabapentin, trazadone, doxepin). and remeron gives some good sleep, but the side effects next day were just insane, no help with anxiety but anger outburts and 0 energy.

after couple months of trying different combos, the one I am sticking to is 25-50mg seroquel and 600mg gabapentin. the seroquel is good good sleep inducer, and gabapentin a good sleep maintainer.

I agreee that seroquel can be stopped without problems, while gabapentin probably needs a quick taper if you take it for sleep. I used to use for daytime, but it caused depression, so i use only for sleep now.

everyone is different you might need to experiment before you find something which works for you

Remeron is the way to go for benzo withdrawal. Non habit forming, has antidepressant effect throughout day(not noticeable) and at night it works wonders for sleep and appetite. Both crucial in withdrawal. It has no side effects other than tiredness and hunger, and can be stopped and started without problems. This with a low dose of seroquel(50 mg or less) should help significantly. Seroquel is an antipsychotic, but it's amazing for sleep and has little to no dependency issues. I had no problems stopping it. At 50 mg it is not a therapeutic dose, only good for sleep

HI,

I've been on Buspar and Hydroxzine for sleep and anxiety.

BOTH SUCKED...hydroxzine felt like wet blanket and groggy the next day like bad hangover.

Buspar didn't work.

I've been taking L-Theanine for a few days now and having very good results.

An amino acid supplement made from green tea.

I'm taking 600 mg per day spaced out over the day.

It's helping with sleep, anxiety and brain fog.

You can get this a any local supplement store.

Cheap and try it today if you go get it.

No doctors appointments needed.

I posted studies and information here.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=167128.0

Do I buy that at the store or get from doctor? Never heard of that or any of the above listed.  I took 50mg of Seroquel only worked for a few nights, went up to 100mg, didn't work. And I don't want to be stuck on a high dose of that. Tried Trazodone, and hydroxyine, didn't work. So I'm gunna try a regular sleep aide tonight. Hoping it works!

L-Theanine is a supplement and is working really well for me.

I got mine from Amazon.com but any supplement store has it.

Maybe Walgreens.

Amazon.com has many different vendors and brands.

I would give l theanine  a try, and also try some magnesium. you could also give a shot at doxepin, it gives a smaller hangover then remeron (which works well)

and again, gabapentin is a good for deep sleep, there are even some studies

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12460250

Do I buy that at the store or get from doctor? Never heard of that or any of the above listed.  I took 50mg of Seroquel only worked for a few nights, went up to 100mg, didn't work. And I don't want to be stuck on a high dose of that. Tried Trazodone, and hydroxyine, didn't work. So I'm gunna try a regular sleep aide tonight. Hoping it works!

Hydroxyzine would be good for mild anxiety, but it didn't do a thing for my insomnia (zero sleep despite it). Most of the drugs that are not true sleep meds will not work for withdrawal insomnia, as they aren't strong enough, but sometimes you get lucky. Trazadone, Seroquel or Remeron are probably your best bets, and if they don't work, time is the best healer.

Clona

Hi

Can you also take it in the morning for anxiety? Also, is it ok to mix it with valium?

Hi Iamacat, I suppose you can take it in the morning, but probably you are going to feel groggy. When I took it, I was already in a very low dose of clonazepam, sorry I have no idea if it is OK to mix hydroxizine with valium.

Hydroxyzine would be good for mild anxiety, but it didn't do a thing for my insomnia (zero sleep despite it). Most of the drugs that are not true sleep meds will not work for withdrawal insomnia, as they aren't strong enough, but sometimes you get lucky. Trazadone, Seroquel or Remeron are probably your best bets, and if they don't work, time is the best healer.

Very true!

I would give l theanine  a try, and also try some magnesium. you could also give a shot at doxepin, it gives a smaller hangover then remeron (which works well)

and again, gabapentin is a good for deep sleep, there are even some studies

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12460250

Thank you.

Hi All - I take Doxepin for sleep now - but I'm still tapering (and able to sleep some - insomnia not horrific) and I notice it makes my hair yucky and I feel flat (emotionally) the day after - my last attempt to get off the Benzo's - I was 3 months out and still not sleeping more than about 2 hours a night WITH AMBIEN - I have since learned that Ambien is a no no with Benzo's - but I'm terrified of not being able to sleep once I'm done with this taper - the worst part his jolting awake in panic and hover sleep........So I have read repeatedly that Gabapentin is a no no also bc it works on GABA receptors - what are your thoughts on this - anyone? I'm considering Remeron but I read it can be bad for blood sugar.......

Thoughts?

Considering my body turned into a torture chamber that inescapable the last time I got off - Sleep would be my only refuge - I need to have a plan in place.......

My PDoc is really pushing Lexapro or Prozac both for anxiety and sleep - I REALLY don't want to be on another psych drug like that.......but if I get desperate, I suppose I'll do anything - I have 2 young children - I can't just crawl up in a ball for 2 years......

Clona

Hi

Hi Iamacat, I suppose you can take it in the morning, but probably you are going to feel groggy. When I took it, I was already in a very low dose of clonazepam, sorry I have no idea if it is OK to mix hydroxizine with valium.

I see, thanks for response!  :smitten:

gabapentin is the best sleep maintainer in my opinion. 300mg does the trick for me

it is not a sleep inducer, altough it does make you tired a bit.

Hi All - I take Doxepin for sleep now - but I'm still tapering (and able to sleep some - insomnia not horrific) and I notice it makes my hair yucky and I feel flat (emotionally) the day after - my last attempt to get off the Benzo's - I was 3 months out and still not sleeping more than about 2 hours a night WITH AMBIEN - I have since learned that Ambien is a no no with Benzo's - but I'm terrified of not being able to sleep once I'm done with this taper - the worst part his jolting awake in panic and hover sleep........So I have read repeatedly that Gabapentin is a no no also bc it works on GABA receptors - what are your thoughts on this - anyone? I'm considering Remeron but I read it can be bad for blood sugar.......

Thoughts?

Considering my body turned into a torture chamber that inescapable the last time I got off - Sleep would be my only refuge - I need to have a plan in place.......

My PDoc is really pushing Lexapro or Prozac both for anxiety and sleep - I REALLY don't want to be on another psych drug like that.......but if I get desperate, I suppose I'll do anything - I have 2 young children - I can't just crawl up in a ball for 2 years......

Thoughts?

Doxepin is not an awful sleep med, are you worried it just won't be strong enough? I would try and stick with that if it is working at all for you.

I personally would run far away from adding another med like Lexapro or Prozac, be aware that they often can CAUSE insomnia. People often get put on them and then get really confused about what is causing what.

Obviously the z-drugs are not a great idea, they seem to reactivate the GABA system and bring back withdrawal symptoms. Mirtazapine doesn't sound bad (never used it but I probably would in a pinch), but it does mess with the insulin/blood sugar system, and often makes you fat. Sometimes if's better to be fast and rested I guess.

Not sure what went wrong last time, but if you taper the last bit slowly enough, you shouldn't have a terrible time afterwards. Keep a positive attitude and I'm sure you'll do okay. If you are of a certain age, you might want to also have hormone levels tested. Benzos can cover for hormone deficiencies in some of us.