Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Intrusive Thoughts Group

[4G...]

Anyone having scary intrusive thoughts? Mine are horrible and when in a wave they feel like they will never go. I know we are not supposed to mention the worst scary thought but I can't deny that it happens. Then I feel that I will never get better,

hi glad u posted, its all good .....you post away, your tapering and holding long cuts,

OK for me i don't hold my cuts but slowed then as much when felt like umm, lets call it """doom thoughts"""", but, i did a fast taper off A, AND i had """those doom thoughts""" near the end of my (first A then on to K  benzo taper) since the A taper to 0, then they went away a bit...........

but i cant say for sure i wont have them again, I too am scared to have those :o thoughts as im to taper off K next, yeah 2 flipping benzos, doctors suck, hang in there.........post all you want vent, stay on the boards, we don't judge,  we are all in a boat trolling along side or in with you, ok, its normal while some do not, to have those """thoughts"", try to force your self past them........write here when you feel like that.......ok hugs.......a good person on here said if you have sxs's your cutting too fast, you may need to slow your taper to lessen sxs's and or hold then cut till you stabilize, its a long arduous journey my love, but all of us here on BB understand........most ALL have been there...............V is a hard one as well and can i heard cause depression, but im not versed in V, i cant take it, so maybe someone who is tapering V can chime in to help as well,

hang tight............... :smitten:

INP

• 1 month later...
Bumping this thread. This has been basically my only symptom the whole way through and I'm sick to death of it. It is driving me up the wall. I'm 4.5 months off valium now after tapering and the intrusive/ocd negative thoughts are still here. They have improved though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey benzobuddies,

Intrusive looping morbid thoughts has been by far the worst symptom for me as well. Came on about 24 hours after a c/t and tormented me for months. So your not alone. It is the most horrific, agonizing, relentless, and terrible symptom that anyone can go through. It drove me to about 20-25 panic attack a day the first two months into acute. What is so shocking is how bloody, morbid, horrific the thoughts are about everything. I have been a happy, joyful, caring kind person and out of no where his symptom made me feel like I was crazy. After finding out it is a normal symptom it helped but the only cure is time. Over time they become less intense and less frequent. I am 25 days off right now after a 4 1/2 month taper and they are still there but they are dying off. It amazes me a symptom can cause such tormenting thoughts. The only thing that helped was distracting and staying positive. Starting to excersize and it is helping as well. Keep fighting, keep distracting, this all is temporary. Stay strong.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the worst intrusive thoughts ever ! They keep me up all night and have me constantly worried that someone is going to hurt me. I lose sleep over this. It started when I was in tolerance withdrawal badly on.5 mg of k. Then when I was cold turkeyed they got much worse.

Intrusive thoughts are TERRIBLE. They're seemingly RELENTLESS. BUT THEY PASS. They drove me up a wall. I thought I would never get rid of them. But I did. I can't even remember when because they stopped their chatter a long time ago. Just keep going!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes, the "I'll never be normal again" is a part of that, BeatBenzos. But it's also the crazy images that come into the mind's eye and won't leave us alone.

Terry thanks for that positive update. I needed it. 5.5 months out and mine are still strong. Driving me up the wall. Can you remember how many months it took you?

I had them, too.  It was by far the worst of any of the symptoms I had.  It took every fiber of my being to keep them at bay and to distract.  I've fully recovered, and all those feelings of self-harm and of harming others has gone away.  It scared the beegezus out of me.  I hesitate to say how long it did last for me, but the good news is that it does go away.  Hang in there.  I hope this goes away for you soon, too.  I'm glad you had the foresight to lock away your tablets.

Freida

I'm just about at 6 months off. Mine are still going strong. It's scary and its hard to imagine even having a normal calm brain anymore. Literally can't even remember how I used to think.

Guys, Kperson has put a fantastic post about intrusive thoughts under the Anxiety thread. You might want to have a look at it. Have a read and I swear you will recognise yourself! Gilly x

• 4 weeks later...

Since there's obviously no shame in this... can we all state what are thoughts are?

Except for self-harm or harming others.  This is simply to protect the sensitive folks… which is everybody.  ;)

I've been having quite a bit of intrusive thoughts for the last year.  Sometimes they prevent me from going to sleep, but I am seeing progress at 15 months out.

This was by far my worst symptom too. I thought I was dying, saw violent images of me and others, accidents, catastrophes, you name it. It was like Satan and Stephen King were living in my brain.

This paper written by Baylissa Frederick saved my life with these thoughts....

http://recovery-road.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Unwanted-Thoughts.pdf

this one too:

http://www.drmartinseif.com/intrusive-thoughts.html

Thank you ang111 for sharing what you experienced. I've had similar thoughts, it is quite terrifying at times. The paper by Baylissa is comforting and reassuring. Thank you for the link. Have the thoughts gone away?

Hi.  I'm having intrusives in a bad way right now.  They aren't even fully formed but general notions that carry tons of anxiety/fear in them.  Feels different than the straight up organic fear, it has some content but still vague but very disturbing.

Thanks for starting this group.

Karen

Mine are just starting to ease up after 6 months of being off Valium. The first 3 months off were truly frightening and I was suicidal.

They are mostly gone and the ones I do get now are nowhere near as intense and do not carry all that adrenaline with them or fear that I will act them out. What baylissas paper says is true and you have to trust it. I practiced those things every single Day to carry me through. I even used someOCD techniques where I would just agree with them. "Yep! I might get in an accident today and get hurt. Yep that could happen." That would help a lot too once they got more Manageable. When they were at their worst the only thing that helped was taking a beneath to get to the next moment. There were times I didn't think I'd live through this. Ought.

This is such a taboo topic and I can't post more specifics because of be rules but I assure you my thoughts could have gotten me arrested or worse. Truly horrific stuff and now I understand news stories I would rather not.

Just keep going and get more time behind you. They will go away I promise!

Back in 2015 I had myself hospitalized because the thoughts were never-ending and I was afraid I would act out on them. I had no clue are a withdrawal sx. I'm glad the intensity of the thoughts has lessened for you.  Gives me hope that this sx will pass in time. Thanks again.