Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Can meds that affect GABA receptors cause kindling???

[fe...]

I'm just wondering, if after you have gotten off benzos, if you take something that affects GABA receptors, can this cause kindling when you discontinue it!? Such as magnesium.

I've been extremely sick for 3 weeks now. Head is pounding, severe anxiety, like I'm in withdraw again. Is this kindling? I've almost gone to the hospital.

I see from your post that you drank wine very recently .Booze of any kind will affect the C.N.S, even when we are not in the recovery mode.I would kill for a good large glass of Australia's best right now but I know that pay back time will follow, and it is not worth it. Unfair but nothing else to do. Your system will get over it. Right now it's just a bit confused.

Complete healing can take a long time for some people.  Taking something that challenges your GABA system before you're sufficiently healed might cause an adverse reaction.  But once you're fully healed, I think you can live life pretty fully again - including having some vino.  I'm 2.7 years out now and very much enjoy a fairly unhealthy dose of scotch (or beer or wine) from time to time.  I see no hint of a kindling reaction.  Actually, I think alcohol is a pretty good test for how far along the healing path you are.  Just have to do it gradually.