Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Root canal or pull tooth?

[Re...]

[fc...]

I have 3 root canals and none has given me any problems as yet. I prefer to preserve the tooth.

Extraction followed by implant is a lengthier and more costly procedure.

I have 3 root canals and none has given me any problems as yet. I prefer to preserve the tooth.

Extraction followed by implant is a lengthier and more costly procedure.

What did you think of the article or did you watch the video?

[fc...]

I think someone is trying to sell a more expensive procedure.

A root canal removes the pulp and replaces it with some sort of non-biologic material. Everything is sterilized and then sealed up. Yes, it's possible for a root canal'ed tooth to later get infected, e.g. if a fracture breaks the seal, but it is not the case that all root canal'ed teeth harbor infections as this article claims. I'm more concerned about chronic infection in my gums than I am about my 3 root canal'ed teeth.

If anyone's counting, im also one who is strongly against root canals and have opted for implants rather than RCs.  Why? I've seen too many people get sick after the proceedure and that's just my observation and the literature on the subject is quite note worthy.

If anyone's counting, im also one who is strongly against root canals and have opted for implants rather than RCs.  Why? I've seen too many people get sick after the proceedure and that's just my observation and the literature on the subject is quite note worthy.

Where you against root canals prior to benzo withdrawel? I am worried getting my tooth pulled may be a rash decision for me to make. Since I am not thinking clearly. I can't really trust my decision making ability. I keep going back and fourth with pulling or getting a root canal. Talk about indecisive............. :-\

My conclusion ismimshould just get a root canal for now and when I'm healed decide if I wanna go that route. Although then I am getting a pointless procedure if I plan on pulling later. Well I don't know , I mean I am saving more trips to the dentist. Blah I can't decide I will prolly end up doing a root canal . Since I already have one root canal tooth.

I would wait on getting it pulled, you could always pull it later. There is no real substitute for a real tooth, and always a chance of issues with an implant or bridge.

Plus the cost! I'm looking at bone grafting, then an implant, for a total cost of about $7K!! Can't really afford it, but I hate the idea of a bridge.

Where you against root canals prior to benzo withdrawel? I am worried getting my tooth pulled may be a rash decision for me to make. Since I am not thinking clearly. I can't really trust my decision making ability. I keep going back and fourth with pulling or getting a root canal. Talk about indecisive............. :-\

My conclusion ismimshould just get a root canal for now and when I'm healed decide if I wanna go that route. Although then I am getting a pointless procedure if I plan on pulling later. Well I don't know , I mean I am saving more trips to the dentist. Blah I can't decide I will prolly end up doing a root canal . Since I already have one root canal tooth.

Remy,

Being against root canals is really the outcome of all the reading and doctors like dr mercola warning of its dangers.  However, like you i keep going back and forth with what to do as i can't find any definitive research with conclusive results.  So emmnnn, just do know what to do either.

• 1 month later...
Remy as a dental professional, I totally understand your worry. However, I'm gonna answer you as I would my patient. Keeping your tooth is very important. Especially if it has a tooth above or, below it. Hope you do what's best for you. Love K

I was very tempted to get a tooth pulled, after months of pain, but had a root canal. It has been slow healing even after the root canal, and times of fairly severe pain. But I just had the crown prep done, and a temporary bridge installed, and so far I am VERY happy that I kept the tooth and used it for one leg of the bridge. I almost feel like a normal human again.

Get the root canal done by an endodontist who is very qualified, and the chances are very good you will never have any issues with it at all.