Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anyone take the burns depression test? Talk to me about your depression Please!!

[Re...]

I just started reading " Feeling Good" from David burns . The test is out of 100 and I scored a sixty which makes me severely depressed . Which I already know I am. It is a cbt self help book.

After severly depressed it goes to extremely. I was defiantly extremely depressed all last month so at least I am doing somewhat better. According to this book I need to get it under 10 and I will start feeling better.

I don't think that is going to happen for a while but I am going to really work at it. I have been doing everything within my power to overcome this depression . The issue for me is it seems chemically induced from waves. I mean I am depressed all the time but it gets even worse during waves. I am thinking of starting some therapy for a while until I am not depressed. Has anyone had any luck with therapy on here?

I am scared of talking to a therapist because they will think I am crazy. My mind is like peaking into the depths of hell.

At any rate I really just want to talk with some people who are also going through this depression and what they are doing proactively against it.

Thanks

Remy

I have read much of the book, and scored extremely depressed by his test, but I didn't need to take the test to know it.  The last few days I've been feeling so depressed it has been very hard.  I wish I could apply what I read, but I have been so depressed that I haven't really been able to apply much.  I think it's really because I dropped my SSRI 2 months ago cold turkey and cut my Valium dose relatively rapidly.  I just keep pushing through it, but my eyes are sore today from depression related tears. 

I have read much of the book, and scored extremely depressed by his test, but I didn't need to take the test to know it.  The last few days I've been feeling so depressed it has been very hard.  I wish I could apply what I read, but I have been so depressed that I haven't really been able to apply much.  I think it's really because I dropped my SSRI 2 months ago cold turkey and cut my Valium dose relatively rapidly.  I just keep pushing through it, but my eyes are sore today from depression related tears.

I am sorry to hear that and feel your pain. Your still tapering down right? I have heard of peoples depression lifting after the taper was over. Hopefully that will happen for you. The depression is the hardest thing to deal with for me as it can be so debilitating at times. I am only 160 pages into the book and i really like the concepts but i will have to wait and see as for the application. I have read the power of now at least five times since i jumped. Out of the 7 self help books i have read thus far. That book has been the most helpful with dealing with this experience.

I've had therapy and it has helped. The way it does is the therapist helped me realize where my thinking was distorted and helped me clarify how I could proceed in life without getting in my own way. I would go into a session with a number of things that were causing me distress and i would talk about them. It helps both to talk about them and get them out in the open, and then to get another persons opinion on how I could address them.

I haven't taken the Burns depression test but have read a bit of "Feeling Good". Much of it talks of how we can ruminate on things and get our mind to distort reality to the point where it can feel overwhelming. Therapy can help get out of that mindset because you can get out of your own head and examine your thoughts without being overcome by them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hang in there.  I've been taking the burns depression test (out of his "Feeling Good" book) periodically ever since I began my withdrawal process in July of last year. When I first took the test, I scored an 82! Now, I usually score in the low 20s - two weeks ago, I actually scored an 18. It's a looong, slow process, but you WILL heal.

For me, a combination of ADs, therapy, and a twelve step support network has helped immensely over table last 15 months. But also, it just takes time.

Change happens gradually. For me, others noticed a change a lot sooner than i even noticed myself. It's hard to see the progress you're making while you're in the thick of it. But one day, sooner than you think, you'll pick your head up, look behind you, and it'll hit you just how far you've come from that dark place.

Just hang on!  Take it one day at a time (it's such a cliche saying, but it's more relevant than you can imagine).  If I could crawl my way back from that abyss, anyone can. YOU can - and you will.

Hang in there.  I've been taking the burns depression test (out of his "Feeling Good" book) periodically ever since I began my withdrawal process in July of last year. When I first took the test, I scored an 82! Now, I usually score in the low 20s - two weeks ago, I actually scored an 18. It's a looong, slow process, but you WILL heal.

For me, a combination of ADs, therapy, and a twelve step support network has helped immensely over table last 15 months. But also, it just takes time.

Change happens gradually. For me, others noticed a change a lot sooner than i even noticed myself. It's hard to see the progress you're making while you're in the thick of it. But one day, sooner than you think, you'll pick your head up, look behind you, and it'll hit you just how far you've come from that dark place.

Just hang on!  Take it one day at a time (it's such a cliche saying, but it's more relevant than you can imagine).  If I could crawl my way back from that abyss, anyone can. YOU can - and you will.

Thanks for sharing this I really needed to hear this today. I have been getting hit with really bad waves of depression. I can't wait till I can score in the 20s ! That will be Awsome for me. What's really shitty for me as the depression was just starting to lift then bam it alll came crashing back down on me this weak worse than ever.

Cliches are completely relevant to recovery in my opinion. It's like I finally get the true meaning of them. Before I just let them come one ear and out the other. I have considered the 12 step program for more support ,but I have had a bad experience with it in the past.

Thanks again friend