Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Dear all is it wise to take antihistamine during withdrawal please help

[Le...]

Diphenhydramine/Benadryl is very much not good....put Benzo + Benadryl in your search engine and read. Many ppl do use it but it was a catastrophe for me.

That med is usually called Periactin in the area I live in.  I haven't read about it in many years, so I enjoyed checking on it. I can see how it would help you and am considering trying it myself!

Many folks take antihistamines as a sleep aid during withdrawal with great success and and no problems.  I took doxylamine PRN during my withdrawal and found it more tolerable than Rx sleep aids.

Many folks take antihistamines as a sleep aid during withdrawal with great success and and no problems.  I took doxylamine PRN during my withdrawal and found it more tolerable than Rx sleep aids.

what is doxylamine PRN? I'm taking mirtazipine 7.5 mg right now (4 days) and not sure how I feel about this dose as it doesn't necessarily knock me out and it actually revs me up the entire day.

Thanks for a heads up on the Doxylamine...that is old timey, too, and one I haven't read about in years. As long as it doesn't use GABA A receptors or Metabolic Pathways like Benadryl does, I would try it.

My Doc prescribed me Rozerem for sleep before I started 15mg Mirtazapine.

Rozerem seemed to help a bit and does not bind to Gaba-A and is non addictive(so they say).

This is a quote from RXlist.com.

"Tyrer Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Symptom Questionnaire (BWSQ): The BWSQ is a self-report questionnaire that solicits specific information on 20 symptoms commonly experienced during withdrawal from benzodiazepine receptor agonists; ROZEREM (ramelteon) is not a benzodiazepine receptor agonist."

Good luck sleeping!

what is doxylamine PRN? I'm taking mirtazipine 7.5 mg right now (4 days) and not sure how I feel about this dose as it doesn't necessarily knock me out and it actually revs me up the entire day.

Doxylamine is an antihistamine sleep aid.  It is the most effective OTC sleep aid available.  Based on personal experience, it is about as effective as mirtazipine.

PRN is doctor-speak for "as needed".