Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Dosing of Mirtazapine

[Pe...]

I've been taking Mirtazapine for approximately 4 and 1/2 weeks at 15 mg.  It helped a lot with sleep and some with anxiety. P-doc upped my dose to 30mg this week. I'm feeling very agitated and restless. Have not slept well on this dose. Doc upped it because of my anxiety, which can be caused from withdrawal symptoms . Any suggestions would be appreciated . I did put a call into the doc this morning. I'm so used to feeling the calm sensation from the Clonazepam .

I took klon for a long long time. It really helped my anxiety. When I went thru withdraw I took 15 mg remeron. It helped with sleep. When u go above 15 mg it can Rev u up..I'd drop down to 15, and tell your doc why..

Nurse called! Didn't like her options. She said I should take a low dose of Clonazepam with the 30. And then go off the Clonazepam again. She said three days isn't long enough to have those symptoms . Or I can take 15 mg day and 30 mg the next until it is in my system. She said the symptoms I'm having are probably from going off the Clonazepam .

My experience is that Remeron can give me restless leg, and the lower doses are better for sleeping. Can you tough it out at a lower remeron dose?

Remeron made me gain weight big time. And when I got off 30 mg one time I had a bad discontinuation that was the whole reason I ended up on the benzos.  And I haven't gotten off the small remeron I am taking even now.

I've been taking Mirtazapine for approximately 4 and 1/2 weeks at 15 mg.  It helped a lot with sleep and some with anxiety. P-doc upped my dose to 30mg this week. I'm feeling very agitated and restless. Have not slept well on this dose. Doc upped it because of my anxiety, which can be caused from withdrawal symptoms . Any suggestions would be appreciated . I did put a call into the doc this morning. I'm so used to feeling the calm sensation from the Clonazepam .

Pet lover, I am in the same boat as you right now. Trying to taper off the clonazepam with mirtazipine for sleep. Only on day 3 of mirtz. First night worked wonders but I also decreased the clonazepam from .30 to .20 at the same time. So 2nd/3rd night not so much sleep as I attribute it to the lower dose of the clonazepam. My doc said to up it to 15mg. but I would rather wait to do that for when I'm really off my taper.  Right now you are in the first stages of withdrawal. It may peak in about a week or so but stay strong. I posted you a link below.

http://americanaddictioncenters.org/withdrawal-timelines-treatments/clonazepam/#Benzo%20Withdrawal%20Phases

Whatshappening, that link was helpful. What I've been having I believe is WD now after reading article.

15 mg was real helpful. Maybe I should just take the 30 mg.

Whatshappening, that link was helpful. What I've been having I believe is WD now after reading article.

can you wait it out a little? or do you really need sleep right now. I'm on maybe 4-5 hours in the last 2 days since the first day I took mirtz and still functioning well. sure I'm a little bummed but I'm gonna let the .20mg dose settle a bit and see if by day 4 or 5 if I need to increase. don't want to increase till I'm on .10 mg.

can you wait it out a little? or do you really need sleep right now. I'm on maybe 4-5 hours in the last 2 days since the first day I took mirtz and still functioning well. sure I'm a little bummed but I'm gonna let the .20mg dose settle a bit and see if by day 4 or 5 if I need to increase. don't want to increase till I'm on .10 mg.

by the way how long were you on 1 mg clonazepam prior to starting your taper and what reason are you now off? I am tapering due to some paradoxical side effects. unfortunately I can't stop as quickly as I'd like to and hope the side effects aren't permanent after I stop.

[75...]
Your doc and nurse are both wrong. Lower doses of Remeron are better for sleep. Inducing sleep is actually a side effect of the drug, where it acts like an antihistamine. That side effect is prominent at lower doses. The primary effect of the drug is to raise serotonin which will rev you up - the opposite of making you sleepy. The primary effect is more prominent at higher doses. 30mg is too high a dose if you are using it for sleep. Stick with 15mg, or even go down to 7.5mg.

I was on 0.5 for most of my 16 years. The last 6 months to year I went to 1 mg. It was not working as well for me. Would have had to up the dose. It was my decision to come off.

My anxiety is the issue now. I want that under control. That was the original reason for going on the drug. Big mistake, but who knew what I was in for.

I am so proud of you.  Please know it will get tough before it gets better.  Don't cave.  The mirtz may help with your anxieties but at a higher dose 30 mg and sustained for awhile. It works on increasing your seratonins.  The clonazapam works on the gaba receptors which your brain got lazy producing. It'll take time for your brain to get used to doing it on its own being that you were on it awhile.

I think we all know what we are getting ourselves into in the beginning bit we don't anticipate the consequences. It's either flight or fight.  But being scared we choose flight.

Just breathe and know it's the withdrawal that is making the anxieties worse. 

Your doc and nurse are both wrong. Lower doses of Remeron are better for sleep. Inducing sleep is actually a side effect of the drug, where it acts like an antihistamine. That side effect is prominent at lower doses. The primary effect of the drug is to raise serotonin which will rev you up - the opposite of making you sleepy. The primary effect is more prominent at higher doses. 30mg is too high a dose if you are using it for sleep. Stick with 15mg, or even go down to 7.5mg.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm going to try 15 mg again and see how I feel. Hope it helps.

I think I actually have to try 3.25 mg tonight. For some odd reason I feel too wound up during the day from 7.5mg. I am taking effexor xr too so I'm concerned that the 7.5mg might be giving me too much serotonins. I know my doc will probably tell me no but I know my body and I didn't feel wired like this during the day all the while tapering my clonazepam in the past month.

Taking 2 AD's might ramp up the symptoms . I went back to 15 mg. more then enough. Going to ask P-doc this week about going on something else. The dry mouth is really bothering me. I think everything is kind of bothering me now. Appetite has not returned, sleeping is a funny kind of sleep. Comes and goes. Not a quality sleep. Not sure if it's the WD of the clonazapam or the drug. Hope things get better !

Taking 2 AD's might ramp up the symptoms . I went back to 15 mg. more then enough. Going to ask P-doc this week about going on something else. The dry mouth is really bothering me. I think everything is kind of bothering me now. Appetite has not returned, sleeping is a funny kind of sleep. Comes and goes. Not a quality sleep. Not sure if it's the WD of the clonazapam or the drug. Hope things get better !

This is what I  used:

https://jet.com/product/detail/ec0ce1ad408341a0946e06d736fee332?jcmp=pla:ggl:cwin_jd_health_beauty_a3:personal_care_oral_care_mouthwash_a3_other:na:PLA_344687460_23650781460_aud-155003204480:pla-154177029420:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&ds_c=cwin_jd_health_beauty_a3&ds_cid=&ds_ag=personal_care_oral_care_mouthwash_a3_other&product_id=ec0ce1ad408341a0946e06d736fee332&product_partition_id=154177029420&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6am-BRCTk4WZhLfd4-oBEiQA3ydA3nixqV8FI5FYAFcI_Z2ypZU-Sn7k7N7vKleyTLDVZbEaAirL8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

My experience is that Remeron can give me restless leg, and the lower doses are better for sleeping. Can you tough it out at a lower remeron dose?

Remeron made me gain weight big time. And when I got off 30 mg one time I had a bad discontinuation that was the whole reason I ended up on the benzos.  And I haven't gotten off the small remeron I am taking even now.

Drad Dog,

I too am on 3.75 mgs of remeron. I have tried several times to discontinue, but I just keep getting slammed.

How long have you been on your 3.75mgs?

I would stay on this dosage forever if I wasn't terrified that it will backfire on me and I'll be forced to keep up dosing. Does this worry you at all?

Thanks in advance.

Drad Dog,

I too am on 3.75 mgs of remeron. I have tried several times to discontinue, but I just keep getting slammed.

How long have you been on your 3.75mgs?

I would stay on this dosage forever if I wasn't terrified that it will backfire on me and I'll be forced to keep up dosing. Does this worry you at all?

Thanks in advance.

Been taking the 3.75 for at least 2 years now. I'm 77 days since jumping off benzos, so I got a lot of things to do before I think about getting off another drug, like get back to  work if I can, for one.

I'm in a kind of miserable stability, seeing when I'll heal, and I'm not gonna worry about remeron pooping out. I wouldn't updose this for a million dollars, but I do sleep OK, 7-9 hours. I'm taking 100 gabapentin too.

I take a quarter of the 30 mg pill and it actually helps me sleep. I have nasty gastrointestinal problems (infrequent bowel movements) and I have gained weight since I started taking 7.5 mg every night.

Is it better switch to Gabapentin? I am worried about the side effects...

Thanks so much drad dog,

I don't know why I'm having such a bad time with remeron discontinuation.

I was actually off completely for seven months and then went back on after huge anxiety surge post eye surgery. I was quite ok with the surgery, but I suspect I reacted badly to the sedating IV, the freezing or the prednisone drops I was forced to use.

Now....I have a decision to make. Do I stop trying to withdraw? (at this point I think I'm in tolerance withdrawal) updose? start something else? I loathe all my options. 😡

Do you take your 100 mgs of gabapentin daily? or as needed? That is one of the meds I am considering to help me get off remeron. I am obviously very sensitive to chemicals and believe a small dose of whatever I choose will be all I can handle. Your dosage is what I would ask for.

Thanks for your input. Wishing you good days and nights.

Seashell

Thanks so much drad dog,

I don't know why I'm having such a bad time with remeron discontinuation.

I was actually off completely for seven months and then went back on after huge anxiety surge post eye surgery. I was quite ok with the surgery, but I suspect I reacted badly to the sedating IV, the freezing or the prednisone drops I was forced to use.

Now....I have a decision to make. Do I stop trying to withdraw? (at this point I think I'm in tolerance withdrawal) updose? start something else? I loathe all my options. 😡

Do you take your 100 mgs of gabapentin daily? or as needed? That is one of the meds I am considering to help me get off remeron. I am obviously very sensitive to chemicals and believe a small dose of whatever I choose will be all I can handle. Your dosage is what I would ask for.

Thanks for your input. Wishing you good days and nights.

Seashell

Hi Shell

Why don't you put your exact status in the sig? It's easier to know what's happening then.

I take 100 mg gabapentin at bedtime to sleep. If I were to be in a crisis I might take another 100 in the aft or eve. But since jumping I have only done that 2 or 3 times. I think if you are in a spot it might be a good option.

You know how I feel about updosing. I don't know what benefit you might have. But people shouldn't underestimate how "sticky" remeron is. I think that when I got off 30 mg I had derealization and depersonalization, not to mention nausea all the time and dysphoria. And my first Benzo prescription. Take it seriously like benzos and use your options.

Are you sure you are in intradose w/d?