Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Zoloft yes or no

[Be...]

Hey, Just come of 19 year xanax addiction only a month ago, my phychiatrist is wanting me to take Zoloft for my anxiety and depression but im feeling scared to take them because it feels like im just replacing one pill or addiction for another.

Has anyone had success on Zoloft after being on xanax for a long time? Does anyone know if they are as addictive and hard to get of as xanax?

ive been putting off taking the zoloft for about a month now because im anxious about these issues, but not sure if im just being over dramatic with not talking them?

Can someone give me some ideas.....thanks Beejay  ??? ???

Hi I have taken a lot of antidepressants the past few years. I don't do well with them because they over stimulate me. During withdraw I did great with remeron, it helped me sleep. U might do ok starting with a small amt zoloft and see how u tolerate it.

Hello Beejay- I started on zoloft a year ago before my xanax taper to help me with withdrawal and panic attacks. I think it has really helped me stay calm through the withdrawal process...not sure if I would have been a successful without it...of course that is just my personal experience- and everyone is different. It did take several difficult weeks to get used to the zoloft before it started helping me. Best of luck.

Hi. I came here to ask the same question. I tapered klonopin to 0.125 mg and was doing well. However, my anxiety came back, I don't think it was even the withdrawal anxiety, but the anxiety that made me start benzos. My doctor gave me zoloft, and I didn't dare start it for a month. She finally convinced me I should give it a try (because I messed up my taper, and started taking rescue doses of xanax when I had panic attacks).

I'm today on day 4 of zoloft. I also wonder if this medication can help with generalized anxiety, as I'm not really depressed as much as just anxious. For now, I feel revved up. I have trouble sleeping, and yesterday I had some whooshing sensation in my head. I would love to hear from anyone who felt that it helped - or didn't help - their anxiety. I'm trying to deal with the side effects for now, as I've read that they get better.

Autumn- when I first started the zoloft it made me really really anxious- which is actually a side effect when you first start it- but if you hang on after several weeks when you get used to it- the extra anxiety goes away- I also had weird sensations in my head- like a creepy crawly scalp when I first started it- but that side effect went away as well.  I think it has helped my generalized anxiety and panic attacks- again though- that is just my personal experience and every person reacts to meds differently. good luck whatever you decide.

ive only been off the xanax one month but my anxiety is through the roof, almost like ive gone back in time to when I first had anxiety, the depression comes for a week or two then leaves for a while but has been returning which is annoying as its a horrible feeling and feels like its gotten worse since the first or second episode of it.

I held of taking the zoloft for the first month so just debating wether i will give it another month to see if i improve before taking it.

Im pretty sure the anxiety and depression is genetic as far as my family goes so in the end I might just have to suck it up and take the anti depressants  :-\ :-\

Hi I have taken a lot of antidepressants the past few years. I don't do well with them because they over stimulate me. During withdraw I did great with remeron, it helped me sleep. U might do ok starting with a small amt zoloft and see how u tolerate it.

thanks for that ferggie, I will give it a bit longer but will probably eventually give them a try  :-\

Hello Beejay- I started on zoloft a year ago before my xanax taper to help me with withdrawal and panic attacks. I think it has really helped me stay calm through the withdrawal process...not sure if I would have been a successful without it...of course that is just my personal experience- and everyone is different. It did take several difficult weeks to get used to the zoloft before it started helping me. Best of luck.

I wish my doctor had of given me that option while i was coming off the xanax the last 18 months, it might have made my journey a little easier, im glad it worked for you mate and hope your doing well  :)

Hi. I came here to ask the same question. I tapered klonopin to 0.125 mg and was doing well. However, my anxiety came back, I don't think it was even the withdrawal anxiety, but the anxiety that made me start benzos. My doctor gave me zoloft, and I didn't dare start it for a month. She finally convinced me I should give it a try (because I messed up my taper, and started taking rescue doses of xanax when I had panic attacks).

I'm today on day 4 of zoloft. I also wonder if this medication can help with generalized anxiety, as I'm not really depressed as much as just anxious. For now, I feel revved up. I have trouble sleeping, and yesterday I had some whooshing sensation in my head. I would love to hear from anyone who felt that it helped - or didn't help - their anxiety. I'm trying to deal with the side effects for now, as I've read that they get better.

Yes Automn, I am having simmillar anxiety issues which like you feel diffrent to the withdrawal anxiety. Im sleeping okay I think, I have trouble when I lie down during the afternoons, everytime im just about to knod off I am awoken by the feeling i cant breath accompanied by my heart beating really fast. This is not morphing into full blown panic attacks but still feels very bad all the same. Let me know how the zoloft goes in the next few weeks, I hope your doing well (:

The thing that sucks about starting Zoloft is that first period of increased anxiety. You're taking a medication to REDUCE anxiety and instead it's making you MORE anxious. But this increase only lasts a few weeks and once you get over that two or three week hump you can find yourself in much better mental space. The sooner you bite the bullet the sooner you can feel at peace.

Zoloft isn't really addicting like benzos. For example, you can't updose an AD and feel better for a period of time, unlike with benzos. It just doesn't work that way. It's more long term and there's no immediate effect when you take the pill, although there IS an effect if you skip a pill or cold turkey.

There also isn't an issue of tolerance. Once you get to a dosage of an AD that works it'll just keep working at that dosage. Your body doesn't build a tolerance where you need more and more, unlike benzos.

I took it for 5 days and I think I'm giving up. I felt like I was on speed, and it got to the point where I couldn't get any sleep anymore. I just can't imagine having such horrible, extreme insomnia for 4-6 weeks.

Hi BJ,

I'm going against the grain here, but I would personally steer clear of any AD. They, quite often, carry the same withdrawal profile as benzos. Adding another psych med to an already fragile CNS is asking for trouble, IMO.

Do they work for some? Yes. Do they have risk/side effects? Yes. Be diligent in your research before starting one so you can feel confident in your decision.

You are still very early in your recovery and these sx will likely fade in the coming months on their own. You're doing so great, you really are.

Here is a link to the forums sticky about AD's.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=142057.0

I would also suggest reading Anatomy of an Epidemic and visiting the website Surviving Antidepressants.

Good luck with whatever you decide  :)

Just adding my experience here, to chime in.

I will echo what everyone else is saying, and do what you know works for you. You have to listen to and trust your body, and remember your brain is healing. it can be messy to throw another drug into the mix right now...

That being said... I have had positive experiences with zoloft in the past, and went off it for over a year. My health anxiety came back with a vengeance. Three weeks ago I had a nightmare from hell week of panic and resorted to taking the damn lorazepam that was leftover from an old ER prescription from the spring. Long story short, my Dr re-started me on zoloft. This time, instead of starting me at 25mg and increasing to 50mg, he jumped right to 50mg.  ???:o

Anyway, I have had a boatload of crappy symptoms since I started, and it was hard to tell whether I actually had withdrawal from the lorazepam, or if it was zoloft, or both, or neither, or something else? I DID have the initial increase in anxiety, the head rushing others have mentioned, and tingling. AND my insomnia and trouble sleeping seemed to never end. The sleeping is gradually (dare I say) getting better (knock on wood... I don't want to jinx myself). I hit two weeks of starting zoloft yesterday. I know it will take another week or two to really kick in. I have had more and more moments of clarity and feeling like a human. The sleep thing sucks, but I hope it will keep getting better, too.

I hope this helps you. I would try giving it a fair few weeks and see if the side effects alleviate and you can catch any benefits.

Tealwater, I gather it's common to have insomnia on antidepressants. But I wonder what's too much. I'm just so wound up from them and insomnia was getting ridiculous - my brain is so revved up that I think I'd need at least 2 mg of xanax to fall asleep. Obviously, I don't want to go that route, and not sleeping for weeks is just not an option right now. I'm not sure, but my reaction seems too extreme to try to tough it out?

Tealwater, I gather it's common to have insomnia on antidepressants. But I wonder what's too much. I'm just so wound up from them and insomnia was getting ridiculous - my brain is so revved up that I think I'd need at least 2 mg of xanax to fall asleep. Obviously, I don't want to go that route, and not sleeping for weeks is just not an option right now. I'm not sure, but my reaction seems too extreme to try to tough it out?

I think you gotta do what works for you! Especially if it's exacerbating something that was already a problem. Of course after I posted that my sleep is getting better I am so not sleeping tonight, lol. Not sure if it's the Zoloft or my cortisol. I have good days and bad days. I think the Zoloft helps my mood though - but I think you need to take care of yourself! If it doesn't feel right, there are always other things you can try. Keep me posted, I hope you figure it out!

I wouldn't take any more shit - that Doctor is a fool and is trying to poison you!  None of these meds work- just exercise your ass off and eat well, and that will be better than any shit some asshole psychiatrist is pushing.  Fuck these doctors!!!

I'm on Zoloft now and have been in the past it's a good drug for me, it's ultimately your choice. You have to decide what's best for you,not everyone is the same