Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Can fruit cause emotional issues during withdrawel?

[Re...]

[ae...]

Remy - everything makes somebody more something. 

Don't go chasing (or fearing) single event reports like this.  If you search this forum for things to avoid or reasons to be afraid, you will find them.  But all you will really be doing is adding to your fear, and for many people, fear is a bigger enemy than withdrawal.  Fill your mind with positive, nurturing thoughts - not more reasons to fear the world.

If some fruit (e.g. strawberries) caused a significant number of people a problem, there would be a lot of advice here about that (like there is for alcohol).  The huge majority of foods should not cause any reaction in people unless they are allergic to something in those foods.

Agree 100% with Bads.  :thumbsup:

Remy, I went through a hell of a depression during my AD withdrawal (over ten years ago).  Plus crippling fear/anxiety and agoraphobia.  Never experienced anything like it before so I was very unequipped and had no clue what was going on, thought I'd lost my mind.  The very best advice I can give you is to try and stay in life as much as possible.  Even if you're walking down the streets in tears, keep gently doing it.  Worst possible thing you can do, IMO, is to isolate and withdraw and obsess over it.  Fake it until you make it, over and over again and then over and over again, again and again.  And again.  ;D

These words from someone who did everything wrong initially and saw the pit of the rabbit hole.  Only to climb out again by doing exactly the above.

You'll get over this, time is a great healer but we need to also learn how to use that time well.  Try to get out of your own way and allow it to happen.  Wishing you speedy healing.

:smitten:

Agree 100% with Bads.  :thumbsup:

Remy, I went through a hell of a depression during my AD withdrawal (over ten years ago).  Plus crippling fear/anxiety and agoraphobia.  Never experienced anything like it before so I was very unequipped and had no clue what was going on, thought I'd lost my mind.  The very best advice I can give you is to try and stay in life as much as possible.  Even if you're walking down the streets in tears, keep gently doing it.  Worst possible thing you can do, IMO, is to isolate and withdraw and obsess over it.  Fake it until you make it, over and over again and then over and over again, again and again.  And again.  ;D

These words from someone who did everything wrong initially and saw the pit of the rabbit hole.  Only to climb out again by doing exactly the above.

You'll get over this, time is a great healer but we need to also learn how to use that time well.  Try to get out of your own way and allow it to happen.  Wishing you speedy healing.

Thank you abcd and badscoref, both offered very very very very good advice. My depression and intrusive thoughts  have been unreal the past 8 weeks. I am just paranoid of anything that could be making it worse. It's very scary at times. My thought process goes I can't cope with this anymore, I want to die, blah blah blah . The suicideal ideation mixed with all of this creates a big scary in my mind.  ( I know these thoughts are not my own)

When it's not happening it's easy to say what to do . Then when I am in it nothing else seems to exist. I have been focusing all of my energy on staying in the now . To help deal with all of this and it helps a lot. The depression is a chemical depression though so it's not me . I can't change something that isn't me. So I can only wait until it leaves. I have accepted all of this.

I know, it's such craziness, isn't it?  But the good news is it seems to me you're way ahead of the game.  You've got this nailed.  The fact that you have such awareness plus you haven't been prone to depression in the past, plus your acceptance of it.  Excellent!  Read your last post when you're in the grip of the madness.  I like Eckhart Tolle a lot, maybe try and listen to vids of him during those extra tough moments.

Are you getting out much?  Sorry, I don't know your history, whether you're working or not?  Taking walks and meeting/greeting doggie people is a good place to start.  Easy convo.  Cuddle and gush over their dogs, ask them questions, whether you're interested or not, lol, shoot the sh** about the weather with them, etc, etc.  Count how many dog people you can make conversation with on each outing.

Oh, and lastly.  Eat a huge helping of fruit salad every day. :laugh: Add ice cream to it.  I'm not crazy about ice cream, believe it or not, but I love my fruit salad with natural Greek yoghurt and raw honey plus a dash of cinnamon.  Mmmmm. 

Keep the humor, Remy, you're going to come through this with flying colors, you'll see!

I know, it's such craziness, isn't it?  But the good news is it seems to me you're way ahead of the game.  You've got this nailed.  The fact that you have such awareness plus you haven't been prone to depression in the past, plus your acceptance of it.  Excellent!  Read your last post when you're in the grip of the madness.  I like Eckhart Tolle a lot, maybe try and listen to vids of him during those extra tough moments.

Are you getting out much?  Sorry, I don't know your history, whether you're working or not?  Taking walks and meeting/greeting doggie people is a good place to start.  Easy convo.  Cuddle and gush over their dogs, ask them questions, whether you're interested or not, lol, shoot the sh** about the weather with them, etc, etc.  Count how many dog people you can make conversation with on each outing.

Oh, and lastly.  Eat a huge helping of fruit salad every day. :laugh: Add ice cream to it.  I'm not crazy about ice cream, believe it or not, but I love my fruit salad with natural Greek yoghurt and raw honey plus a dash of cinnamon.  Mmmmm. 

Keep the humor, Remy, you're going to come through this with flying colors, you'll see!

Thank you abcd I very deeply enjoyed and appreciate you response. I have worked out since my first month except all of my fourth when my muscle pain was keeping me bedridden . I do need to socialize more. That is one thing I have been putting off for a while. I need to get out more you are right, it's a bonefide fact.

Shooting the shit with dog people is a wonderful idea. Animal lovers are Usaully compassionate people. I will try to remember to look at this post the next time I am in the grips of depression, actually ill bookmark to make sure.

Fruit salad sounds like a party for me. Fruit is my favorite food. I need to stop obsessing over every little thing I put on or in my body. A funny example the other day after a shower I was putting gel in my hair and my scalp felt like it was burning . I read the bottle of gel and saw all the chemicals. My anxiety mind immediate took control and I started washing the gel out of my hair like it was napalm gel.

I am wearing that gel in my hair right now. I realize it is not causing any issues since I have been wearing this gel since I jumped. I go through many irrational processes like this. It is comical afterwards. Yet during my mind is convinced of whatever it has convinced itself at that time. This experience in my opinion is like temporarily living inside of a mentally insane person.

Eckert Tollie is amazing, his concepts have helped me tremendously in getting through this.

Thanks again :smitten: :smitten:

I will try to remember to look at this post the next time I am in the grips of depression, actually ill bookmark to make sure.

:thumbsup:  And add to the post all the craziness going on in your head at the time, type it all out here.  Someone will come along to whip you back into shape, hopefully.

I am wearing that gel in my hair right now. I realize it is not causing any issues since I have been wearing this gel since I jumped. I go through many irrational processes like this. It is comical afterwards. Yet during my mind is convinced of whatever it has convinced itself at that time. This experience in my opinion is like temporarily living inside of a mentally insane person.

Yep, come here and type out all the "nonsense" going on in your head, give it a shot and see if it helps to break the crazy thought patterns.

Good luck to you, you're great, Remy, I'm not worried about you, you're going to sail through this mess, thunderstorms, choppy waters, shark infested seas  >:D and all.  Keep the humor, it helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, it is more than likely that the sugar in the fruit is causing a reaction, even though it is natural sugar in the fruit which is much better than processed sugar it is still sugar. Also for a lot of us our bodies can not tolerate a lot of foods which includes fruit whilst going through wd, best to air on the side of caution with fruit till wd is over in opinion, treat it like chocolate or something maybe.

I never ate fruit before withdrawal but now eat LOTS of fruit each day, and its the last thing I eat at night as carbs help you to sleep, and I eat if for all the good nutritional values s I want to make sure I give my body a full spectrum of vitamins , amino acids, and the minerals it needs to heal. I have no problems with fruit and some days the same as everyone on BB, it seems that everything I eat is revving me up which can't be true as other days I feel GREAT eating exactly the same thing.    :)

Fructose (Fruit sugar) and sucrose (processed sugar) are 2 different things and even sugar cane in its raw state is really good for you, the problem with processed sugar is there is no nutrition in it and it spikes blood sugar levels like crazy.  So unless ANYTHING presents a really obvious personal problem, then carry on eating what you want cutting out  wholefood groups is a really bad idea right now.

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Yeah that is good then, maybe avoid fruit in the early or worst parts of wd, it does have a weird effect though, sugar in wd is crazy ha.

And you are right about the helping you relax etc, fruit helps me with nerve issues. Try not to eat too much fruit though and the least acidic the better, bananas, peachs, kiwi fruit are good I think, apples are probably the most acidic.

Also fruit can kick off sugar cravings, another thing to be cautious of, if you can tolerate it ok though then you are good.

• 3 months later...
There is nothing wrong with eating fruit it is healthy and I speaking as a biochemist it sounds like paranoia to link it to chemicalky induced withdrawal symptoms it's that linking thing again. Obviously like anything if you stuff your face constantly with it you will have elevated blood sugar levels as fruit contains sugar. I don't avoid any foods I eat what I fancy and don't eat processed rubbish now that is bad news!

Any simple sugar - including fruit - can make me more depressed.  I am better off with complex carbs like a sweet potato but too much of any carb can make me depressed.  If I exercise enough this mitigates this issue to a degree.