Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

Quest, you have the right idea. Daily micro taper and going at your own pace are the keys to making a taper easier.

I have kept a journal throughout this process. I wrote down my dose and any symptoms that were noteworthy (much better or much worse than usual). This has helped me pick a pace that is right for me and make adjustments to my pace along the way.

Another good thing to do is read the pinned posts at the top of whatever board you are reading. These are the most helpful posts that the moderators have wanted people to be able to find early. Also, once you have gathered information, stop clicking around and reading scary posts. I'll summarize them all for you so you don't need to read them:

I tapered too fast in a rush to get off and now I'm in hell, OR I was cold turkey-ed and now I am in hell, AND I'm sure I will be in hell forever.

Because people who finish their tapers tend to leave Benzo Buddies and get on with their lives, it's harder to find the success stories. But there are some. They go like this: I thought I would never get better, but I did. You will, too. (They're right.)

A very few unfortunate people have had a toxic reaction to their drug and had to get off quickly and did not get well until they were off. But that is not likely to be you. It is very rare. I don't want to say it doesn't happen, but it is so rare you may as well worry about getting hit by lightening as worry about it happening to you.

As for tolerance withdrawal, there is a debate as to whether or not it exists. I don't understand it, so can't help you. I believe there is a pinned post on it somewhere. I'm not sure where, but I think if you looked you could find it.

Be sure to look for the pinned posts about coping techniques. You are going to need some. Find something you like and practice, practice, practice until it become automatic.

You will get through this.  :thumbsup:

Gardie :)

P.S. I would also like to sing the praises of Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction as the best non-drug method of coping with anxiety I have ever found. Jon Kabat-Zinn popularized this, but there are many others teaching it now, too. Guided meditations are a great way to start practicing it. Be sure it is MBSR form of meditation. Some forms of meditation (trying to psych yourself into feeling better) can lead to more stress when you're in withdrawal.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Easier Taper Support Group

I'm thinking that the title of this group should be Easier Taper Support Group. If it could be changed, what do y'all think? ???

I'm thinking that the title of this group should be Easier Taper Support Group. If it could be changed, what do y'all think? ???

Gardie, I second that, I think some buddies may be getting the wrong impression and we do not want that, yes I like that name change. Hope it can be changed. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Yep, I agree!

Gwinna

jp has not been here for a long time, and I am sure he would not mind having the title changed. Anyhow, maybe with enough posts we will get some results. :thumbsup::smitten:

Hi, Mary! Welcome! :smitten:

Hey Gardie  :D. Thanks, haven't read much yet but definitely will ;)

Hi Mary, yes pls read from the beginning a good read.  :thumbsup::smitten:

Hi, Mary! Welcome! :smitten:

Hey Gardie  :D. Thanks, haven't read much yet but definitely will ;)

Hi Mary, yes pls read from the beginning a good read.  :thumbsup::smitten:

I will  :). Go to Withdrawal Support and read Chins post, I have tears in my eyes, :laugh: :laugh:

Got the OK and now all new posts will say Easier. (That's how the software works.)

Changing the name was an exception to how the forum usually works. Thank you, Megan, for allowing this! :D

Gardie :smitten:

Got the OK and now all new posts will say Easier. (That's how the software works.)

Changing the name was an exception to how the forum usually works. Thank you, Megan, for allowing this! :D

Oh that is great Gardie and Thanks to Megan too. I am really glad. :thumbsup::smitten:

Hi everyone,

I posted this in another place too, but I thought I could get some feedback here too. So if you read this on begood’s blog, you can ignore this, sorry.

Right now I am in a very difficult place,

I just came home from a neurosurgeon appt.

and it seems from the cervical spine MRI and an EMG and another nerve conduction test, that the numbness and pins and needles in my hands, fingers and arms and loss of some muscle tone in my hand, areNOT from benzo withdrawal. It’s all coming from my spine. I’ve had crazy symptoms in my arms and fingers for at least a year, and my neck has bothered me throughout my 3 1/2 year taper. I thought it was wdsx, and maybe it was, at the beginning of my t aper, but this is  something else, and quite serious.

Well my neurosurgeon ( who did my 100% successful back surgery) said the only cure for me is “big” cervical(neck) spinal surgery.

But he’s not jumping so fast. I have to see what happens in the next few weeks and then go back in one month for another check up.

But if that isnt enough  to scare the daylights out of me, I just don’t know what to do about my benzo dose if I have to go to the hospital. Last time they gave me such flack about the2 1/2 mg dose I was on.

Now I am at 0.1 mg. And it’s a liquid solution. I really don’t think they will let me take it in the hospital.

So do I mess up my taper and try to go faster so I can get off the valium in time for a possible surgery?

Or do I go along the way I am going and just hope that they let me bring my solution with me to the hospital? And if they don’t let me take my solution and they “ cold  turkey” me, will I be all right? since in a month I should be at about  0.09 or 0.095 which is quite low?

And what if I am in the hospital for only two days without my dose? Can I just pick up where I left off as if nothing happened?

Golly...don’t know what to do! Ive come this far...please gd I don’t want to mess it all up now!

ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME!!!!! Help! What do Ido?  :(???:idiot:

Heathcliff

Heath, so sorry to read that you need to have surgery, I am glad he is not rushing...do you feel comfortable with his dx, or do you need to get another Doctors opinion, I am sure you are confident with him, I know that so many sx minic back problems, and all, but you have to feel confident before undergoing a big surgery. I know other buddies have taken their meds in the Hospital, and was given an OK by Doctors...I would not go, unless I could have my medication with me, but that is me. With you so low in dose, I think for a couple of day you would be OK, you would have pain medication and be resting. I do not think I would rush off, just keep doing your steady decrease, sometimes surgeries take a long time to be scheduled, but I would put forth that you would have to be allowed to bring your own medication, they would have you sign papers about this, but it can be done, but you would have to stand your ground. I hope that everything works out well for you and you have some relief. Stay Strong.💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Heath, I answered you a little on another thread, too. A few more thoughts. What I would do.

• I would make sure the anesthesiologist gave me no benzo. I did that for a procedure and kept saying it to him over and over right up until I was out. He was amused but kept reassuring me. 

• I would find out ahead of time all the meds they will give me in the hospital. And ask my prescriber about taking the benzo with those meds. If he says OK, just bring the benzo in my bag and take it on schedule. They can't stop me. (I am comfortable being rebellious.)

Best to have a strong advocate with you whenever you go into a hospital. An advocate can make sure they do things that are best for you. An advocate can give you your benzo in the right amount at the right time. And advocate can stand up for you.

I'm happy to report that my slight updose and hold worked very well. I was able to taper a little more and am doing another short hold. I will still jump this summer. I'm in jumping range now but plan to taper even closer to zero after this short hold. I want a soft landing.

I'm happy to report that my slight updose and hold worked very well. I was able to taper a little more and am doing another short hold. I will still jump this summer. I'm in jumping range now but plan to taper even closer to zero after this short hold. I want a soft landing.

Hi Gardie, that is the best news, so happy for you, I know it has been difficult for you, but you are a true Warrior. I am happy that you will still be able to walk off this summer, kudos to you, take your time and know that you can do what is needed to assure a nice soft landing after your walk off. Stay Strong. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Hi Gardie, that is the best news, so happy for you, I know it has been difficult for you, but you are a true Warrior. I am happy that you will still be able to walk off this summer, kudos to you, take your time and know that you can do what is needed to assure a nice soft landing after your walk off. Stay Strong. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

:smitten:

Heath, I answered you a little on another thread, too. A few more thoughts. What I would do.

• I would make sure the anesthesiologist gave me no benzo. I did that for a procedure and kept saying it to him over and over right up until I was out. He was amused but kept reassuring me. 

• I would find out ahead of time all the meds they will give me in the hospital. And ask my prescriber about taking the benzo with those meds. If he says OK, just bring the benzo in my bag and take it on schedule. They can't stop me. (I am comfortable being rebellious.)

Best to have a strong advocate with you whenever you go into a hospital. An advocate can make sure they do things that are best for you. An advocate can give you your benzo in the right amount at the right time. And advocate can stand up for you.

That's excellent advice for all of us right now , if possible, have an advocate with you.

GARDIE, STUT, BEGOOD, AND ANYONE  I FORGOT,

THANK YOU! So much for all your support and excellent advice.

You sure are appreciated!

I am very frightened about the very possible impending surgery, but at least the benzo part will be ok now that I know how to approach it.

Bless you all!

HEATH❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ :smitten: :smitten: :smitten::mybuddy: :mybuddy: :mybuddy:

I am very frightened about the very possible impending surgery, but at least the benzo part will be ok now that I know how to approach it.

Bless you all!

HEATH❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ :smitten: :smitten: :smitten::mybuddy: :mybuddy: :mybuddy:

Of course you are scared, but sounds like you have had two opinions. And glad we could ease your mind about the benzo's Stay Strong Mighty Warrior. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Bless you all!

Of course you are frightened of surgery. Don't be hard on yourself about that. On the other side of this, everything will be fine. :hug:

FOURTH OF JULY 2019

usa_by_dimongr-da1aegd-gif.3953150

"O, beautiful for spacious skies, For amber waves of grain, For purple mountain majesties, Above the fruited plain".

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Li...]
    • [Ka...]
    • [th...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [Fa...]
    • [ja...]
    • [ro...]
    • [de...]
    • [PE...]
    • [ry...]
    • [bi...]